    Have always been Nikon, but am willing to consider Canon because of
    the great reviews and images I see.

    Thanks

    baker1, Jan 10, 2006

  2. baker1

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > baker1 writes ...
    >
    >Has there been a pattern of when Canon announces a new camera,
    >and it actually hitting the shelves?

    Last couple of times with the consumer models they've had plenty of
    product in the pipeline right away, maybe a few weeks wait if you don't
    get an order in as soon as it's announced but not too bad compared to
    say the 1D Mark II, which was announced in Feb and not available in
    volume until June. Good luck.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jan 10, 2006

  3. baker1

    SMS Guest

    baker1 wrote:
    > Has there been a pattern of when Canon announces a new camera, and it
    > actually hitting the shelves? I cannot decide between the D200 and the
    > 20D. Don't have the coin for the 5D, but do a lot of low light work.
    > Have always been Nikon, but am willing to consider Canon because of
    > the great reviews and images I see.

    It's usually a very short lag time, on the order of weeks, not months.
    They don't want to hurt existing sales by announcing too early. With the
    5D, there was no existing product that it competed against, so they did
    announce it a few months early.

    SMS, Jan 10, 2006
  4. "baker1" <> wrote:
    > Has there been a pattern of when Canon announces a new camera, and it
    > actually hitting the shelves? I cannot decide between the D200 and the
    > 20D. Don't have the coin for the 5D, but do a lot of low light work.

    For low-light, the D200 is the wrong choice. You'd be a lot happier with the
    20D. But.

    Get the 350D and spend your money on FF compatible glass (from experience,
    the 300D + 50/1.4 is a _great_ combination for low light). If you don't need
    to buy any glass, then an expensive body seems a _lot_ cheaper (this one's
    from experience too: the only lens I've bought since the 5D has been a used
    55-200). It's quite likely that three years from now, there'll be a Canon FF
    body that's a lot more affordable.

    (Also, the trend in the APS-C area is towards more pixels and worse
    low-light performance, so the next generation of things is likely to be
    uninteresting.)

    > Have always been Nikon, but am willing to consider Canon because of
    > the great reviews and images I see.

    Yes, there has been a pattern. Nikon tends to announce _way_ ahead of
    availability, and Canon tends to announce immediately prior to availability.
    With Canon, there are often rumors that turn out to be quite accurate from
    about two weeks before the actual announcement (this one's from experience
    too: I lost a bet with Mark2<g>). But the cameras are often on the shelves
    within two weeks or so of the announcement.

    (Someone who remembers exact dates of things can probably come up with
    counterexamples, but both the 1Ds MKII rumors (well, leaked specs) and 5D
    rumors turned out to be correct.)

    Personally, I think Nikon is more user-friendly. Lots of people don't
    realize that a dSLR that was released 18 months ago is long past its sell-by
    date, and get burned. The Nikonistas have a better view of what's coming
    along.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 11, 2006
  5. baker1

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:26:49 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    <> wrote:

    >"baker1" <> wrote:
    >> Has there been a pattern of when Canon announces a new camera, and it
    >> actually hitting the shelves? I cannot decide between the D200 and the
    >> 20D. Don't have the coin for the 5D, but do a lot of low light work.

    >For low-light, the D200 is the wrong choice. You'd be a lot happier with the
    >20D. But.

    I'm not the OP, but I'm curious as to why you say that.

    The OP didn't say which lenses he already owns. That could be a big
    factor in the relative cost of a D200 vs. a 20D.

    >Personally, I think Nikon is more user-friendly. Lots of people don't

    What do you mean by "user friendly." For the past six months, I
    watched the Nikon guys (of which I'm one, for the past 30 or so years
    now!) go into tizzy after tizzy about the upcoming D200. Some people
    even commented that Nikon should be more forthcoming on future
    products. How is Nikon's tightlipped policy user friendly? I would
    say the opposite.

    >realize that a dSLR that was released 18 months ago is long past its sell-by

    How much technology change do you expect in 18 months? We're not
    talking Moore's Law here.

    Appropriately priced,there is nothing wrong with an "older model"
    DSLR. And that doesn't make the older model obsolete or useless.
    Unless you're the "gotta have the latest model" kind of guy.

    >date, and get burned. The Nikonistas have a better view of what's coming
    >along.

    Why, because of the incessant rumors and the relatively long delays
    between announcement and store availability?

    To switch the topic only slightly, do YOU have any inside poop on the
    rumored Nikon full-frame sensor DSLR?

    domu arrigato gozai masu

    Father Kodak (bowing deeply)

    Father Kodak, Jan 12, 2006
  6. "Father Kodak" <> wrote:
    > "David J. Littleboy"<> wrote:
    >>"baker1" <> wrote:
    >>> Has there been a pattern of when Canon announces a new camera, and it
    >>> actually hitting the shelves? I cannot decide between the D200 and the
    >>> 20D. Don't have the coin for the 5D, but do a lot of low light work.

    >>For low-light, the D200 is the wrong choice. You'd be a lot happier with
    >>the
    >>20D. But.

    > I'm not the OP, but I'm curious as to why you say that.

    Everything I've seen indicates that the D200 is worse than the 20D in terms
    of high-ISO noise.

    >>Personally, I think Nikon is more user-friendly. Lots of people don't

    > What do you mean by "user friendly." For the past six months, I
    > watched the Nikon guys (of which I'm one, for the past 30 or so years
    > now!) go into tizzy after tizzy about the upcoming D200. Some people
    > even commented that Nikon should be more forthcoming on future
    > products. How is Nikon's tightlipped policy user friendly? I would
    > say the opposite.

    Since Canon doesn't tell people when it's going to release a new model, once
    a model is 12 months old, you never know if it's going to be 2 weeks, 2
    months, or a year until the next model. So users buying the 20D now have the
    problem that they just don't know.

    In this particular case, though, since the OP wants low-light performance,
    my opinion/best guess is that he'd be fine with the 20D, since the follow on
    is likely to be more pixels and worse low-light performance to match the
    D200.

    >>realize that a dSLR that was released 18 months ago is long past its
    >>sell-by

    > How much technology change do you expect in 18 months? We're not
    > talking Moore's Law here.

    Improved AF, much nicer LCD, a few more pixels, and a surprise or two
    (better weather sealing?). Actually, Moore's Law is of some concern here
    because newer cameras tend to have larger buffers for burst shooting.

    I think that improvements will be slowing down, though.

    > Appropriately priced,there is nothing wrong with an "older model"
    > DSLR. And that doesn't make the older model obsolete or useless.
    > Unless you're the "gotta have the latest model" kind of guy.

    Agreed. The _only_ thing that I was commenting on was the problem of
    spending serious money and then finding out 3 weeks later that there'll be a
    somewhat better one out long before one has even begun to figure out the
    current camera.

    >>date, and get burned. The Nikonistas have a better view of what's coming
    >>along.

    > Why, because of the incessant rumors and the relatively long delays
    > between announcement and store availability?

    Because the announcement precedes release by such a long time, you get to
    choose between purchasing now and not getting the improvements or putting up
    with not having a camera for a bit and getting the improvements.

    > To switch the topic only slightly, do YOU have any inside poop on the
    > rumored Nikon full-frame sensor DSLR?

    Nope. I've not even heard those rumors<g>.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 12, 2006
  7. baker1

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:34:20 +0900, David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > Improved AF, much nicer LCD, a few more pixels, and a surprise or two
    > (better weather sealing?). Actually, Moore's Law is of some concern here
    > because newer cameras tend to have larger buffers for burst shooting.

    I agree with most of your points, just not with the bit about
    Moore's Law. Are you talking about memory cell density, speed or
    power consumption? Maybe if you wanted to shoehorn a 10 GB buffer
    in an ultra-compact camera, but even the largest buffers in DSLRs
    are far smaller than that, the DSLRs have much more space to hold
    them, and the buffer memory doesn't have to match the super high
    speed of cache RAM used in CPU chips, so it'll run cooler too.

    ASAAR, Jan 12, 2006