    Aardvark Guest

    Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, when Allied troops invaded the
    beaches of Normandy at the beginning of the long road to Berlin.

    Aardvark, Jun 6, 2009

  2. Aardvark

    Mike Easter Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, when Allied troops invaded the
    > beaches of Normandy at the beginning of the long road to Berlin.

    Right now, it is still June 5 in my timezone, but the clock has turned to
    June 6 in Normandy.

    I'm glad I'm doing what I am rather than what those guys were doing then.
    I'm also glad I wasn't a member of the German forces charged with
    defending against the invasion. There were certainly a lot of young men
    and their weapons trying to kill a lot of other young men with theirs.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 6, 2009

  3. Aardvark

    Mara Guest

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qda__aFhR6I&feature=related

    --
    Today's forecast is: moderate to heavy patches of Frogs and a sunny outlook,
    but with a belt of inflatable pink Lizards moving in from the west for the

    Mara, Jun 6, 2009
  4. Aardvark

    Guest

    On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 18:38:39 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Aardvark wrote:
    >> Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, when Allied troops invaded the
    >> beaches of Normandy at the beginning of the long road to Berlin.

    >Right now, it is still June 5 in my timezone, but the clock has turned to
    >June 6 in Normandy.
    >
    >I'm glad I'm doing what I am rather than what those guys were doing then.
    >I'm also glad I wasn't a member of the German forces charged with
    >defending against the invasion. There were certainly a lot of young men
    >and their weapons trying to kill a lot of other young men with theirs.

    That's about the time Germany ran out of "man" soldiers and had young
    teens dying by the thousands on the battlefields.

    Here:
    http://tinyurl.com/qngjlj

    you will find a really pathetic picture of some of these kids
    surrendering to allied troops.

    , Jun 6, 2009
  5. Aardvark

    thanatoid Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in

    > Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, when Allied troops
    > invaded the beaches of Normandy at the beginning of the
    > long road to Berlin.

    And you are proud of this?

    You might find it interesting to know how Europeans who were
    dying in concentration camps or under effective "I'll Shoot You
    If I Feel Like It Martial Law Plus", or just spent 4+ years in
    the trenches having their legs blown off feel about the fucking
    Americans taking their sweet time.

    Of course, Grandpa Bush was selling arms to the Nazis, so he
    didn't want the US to pretend to give a shit before he made some
    decent clean money...

    "The Allies suffered 215,000 casualties on D-Day and in the
    Normandy campaign."
    (BBC)

    The horror! Over 200 thousand Americans dead! Right. Of course,
    one American is worth a million Europeans, Russians, and
    Chinese.

    D-Day - Disgrace Day.

    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

    thanatoid, Jun 6, 2009
  6. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 09:37:24 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > Aardvark <> wrote in
    >
    >> Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, when Allied troops invaded the
    >> beaches of Normandy at the beginning of the long road to Berlin.

    > And you are proud of this?

    I'm not one for bombastic, jingoistic tub-thumping, mate. My OP makes a
    bland and editorial-free statement of an historical nature. What's more, I
    should think that the subject line adds to the statement's neutrality.

    > You might find it interesting to know how Europeans who were dying in
    > concentration camps or under effective "I'll Shoot You If I Feel Like It
    > Martial Law Plus", or just spent 4+ years in the trenches having their
    > legs blown off feel about the fucking Americans taking their sweet time.

    I'm well aware of those facts. Did you know that part of the UK was also
    under the German jackboot? The Channel Islands were, in fact, occupied for
    quite a large part of the war.

    > Of course, Grandpa Bush was selling arms to the Nazis, so he didn't want
    > the US to pretend to give a shit before he made some decent clean
    > money...

    Well known information.

    > "The Allies suffered 215,000 casualties on D-Day and in the Normandy
    > campaign."
    > (BBC)
    >
    > The horror! Over 200 thousand Americans dead!

    No. 'Casualties' refers to the number killed, wounded, missing and
    possibly captured. These casualties, as per the BBC's information, were
    shared among 'The Allies': British and Commonwealth, Canadian, US and most
    probably other nationalities.

    > Right. Of course, one
    > American is worth a million Europeans, Russians, and Chinese.

    It disgusts me to think that there exist people who think that way.
    Any unnatural and violent death is a tragedy and no nationality should
    have a monopoly on grief.

    Many more Russian, European and Chinese lives were lost fighting The Axis
    than American and British combined. Twelve million Russians on the Eastern
    front alone. In fact had it not been for actions (made at great cost) by
    the Russians contemporaneous with the landings in Normandy, it is doubtful
    whether the Allies would have reached Paris within the 90-day deadline
    they had given themselves, if at all.

    > D-Day - Disgrace Day.

    No. Just another day for you and me and numerous others, the Last day for
    so many of various nationalities.

    Aardvark, Jun 6, 2009
  7. Aardvark <> deflatulated this
    with news:h0cfem$mr1$-september.org:

    > Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, when Allied troops invaded the
    > beaches of Normandy at the beginning of the long road to Berlin.

    It's kind of sad that whole thing happened just before they invented
    parachutes and air-raids to soften-up beachfronts... Bombs on bunkers
    would not have been nearly as romantic as hoards of shot-up wet and cold
    soldiers with no other armor than a platoon-leader who would shoot them in
    the back if they didn't charge forward with their saturated M-1s and
    bayonets.

    The Brits has their "Charge of the Light Brigade" and now the Allies has
    their "D-Day". Yay. Let's elect the genius General who planned that whole
    thing to be President of the USA. We could has some parades too. But
    don't throw the Mardi-Gras beads to girls showing their boobies because
    that might be in bad taste. Coupons for Bacon-burgers and Big-Macs might
    be spot-on however.

    Long live Eisenhower, which sounds remarkably German to me...

    Conspiracy theorists out there? Hmmm....

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*, that's NOT a snake in my pocket; I'm
    NOT particularly happy to see you; and, I'm NOT the Octomom's baby-daddy!

    "Waterboarding Muslims is *NOT* '"torture"'; it's merely giving them
    Arabs free-choice : the 72 virgins or not!" --Anonymous Bush Staffer

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 6, 2009
  8. Aardvark

    Guest

    On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 09:37:24 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
    <> wrote:

    >Aardvark <> wrote in
    >
    >> Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, when Allied troops
    >> invaded the beaches of Normandy at the beginning of the
    >> long road to Berlin.

    >And you are proud of this?
    >
    >You might find it interesting to know how Europeans who were
    >dying in concentration camps or under effective "I'll Shoot You
    >If I Feel Like It Martial Law Plus", or just spent 4+ years in
    >the trenches having their legs blown off feel about the fucking
    >Americans taking their sweet time.
    >
    >Of course, Grandpa Bush was selling arms to the Nazis, so he
    >didn't want the US to pretend to give a shit before he made some
    >decent clean money...
    >
    >"The Allies suffered 215,000 casualties on D-Day and in the
    >Normandy campaign."
    >(BBC)
    >
    >The horror! Over 200 thousand Americans dead! Right. Of course,
    >one American is worth a million Europeans, Russians, and
    >Chinese.
    >
    >D-Day - Disgrace Day.

    TROLL ALERT!!!

    , Jun 6, 2009
  9. Aardvark

    Aratzio Guest

    On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 09:37:24 +0000 (UTC), in the land of
    24hoursupport.helpdesk, thanatoid <> got
    double secret probation for writing:

    >"The Allies suffered 215,000 casualties on D-Day and in the
    >Normandy campaign."
    >(BBC)
    >
    >The horror! Over 200 thousand Americans dead! Right. Of course,
    >one American is worth a million Europeans, Russians, and
    >Chinese.

    You don't know what casualties means, do you.

    Hint it isn't "dead"

    You might want to try being less ignorant in your spew and base it on
    at least som semblamce of reality. I snipped the rest of your bullshit
    whinage since the US had no responsibility for protecting the
    europeans from themselves.

    Aratzio, Jun 6, 2009
  10. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 10:41:36 -0500, matt wrote:

    > On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 09:37:24 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Aardvark <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, when Allied troops invaded the
    >>> beaches of Normandy at the beginning of the long road to Berlin.

    >>And you are proud of this?
    >>
    >>You might find it interesting to know how Europeans who were dying in
    >>concentration camps or under effective "I'll Shoot You If I Feel Like It
    >>Martial Law Plus", or just spent 4+ years in the trenches having their
    >>legs blown off feel about the fucking Americans taking their sweet time.
    >>
    >>Of course, Grandpa Bush was selling arms to the Nazis, so he didn't want
    >>the US to pretend to give a shit before he made some decent clean
    >>money...
    >>
    >>"The Allies suffered 215,000 casualties on D-Day and in the Normandy
    >>campaign."
    >>(BBC)
    >>
    >>The horror! Over 200 thousand Americans dead! Right. Of course, one
    >>American is worth a million Europeans, Russians, and Chinese.
    >>
    >>D-Day - Disgrace Day.

    > TROLL ALERT!!!

    thanatoid ain't no troll,mate. He has an unusual and interesting slant on
    a number of subjects and isn't afraid to state his opinions. I suspect
    that he was originally from the European mainland and his personal history
    informs his current opinions.

    He'll correct me if I'm wrong :)

    Aardvark, Jun 6, 2009
  11. Aardvark

    thanatoid Guest

    Manatee Memories <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > IIRC, there were some American generals who wanted to do
    > the cross-Channel thing rather early on (1942-3)

    You ARE aware the war (excluding actions of Japan who actually
    started WWII) started on Sept 1, 1939?

    > but were
    > held back by Churchill who was, apparently, still held in
    > thrall by nightmares/visions of the Somme (and similar).

    Well, let's not even get into all the "gentlemen's agreements"
    which made Eastern Europe such a happy place for almost 50
    years...

    <SNIP>

    thanatoid, Jun 6, 2009
  12. Aardvark

    Aratzio Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 16:10:26 GMT, in the land of
    24hoursupport.helpdesk, Aardvark <> got double
    secret probation for writing:

    >thanatoid ain't no troll,mate. He has an unusual and interesting slant on
    >a number of subjects and isn't afraid to state his opinions.

    So what if he is an uneducated idiot, he has opinions!!!

    Aratzio, Jun 6, 2009
  13. Aardvark

    thanatoid Guest

    Manatee Memories <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > So let's see.... the Wehrmacht 1942 (to early 1943,
    > pre-Stalingrad), versus pre Operation Torch "Allied"
    > forces. It _would_ have been a *bloodbath* (and not for the
    > forces of a certain Central European country).

    Of course, it's somewhat ironic how all the European nations -
    now members of NATO - obediently sent their soldiers to die for
    "American oil" located in Iraq. (Yes, I know the numbers were
    tiny. I'm talking about the larger picture.)

    My knowledge of history is actually quite spotty, but I do know
    some facts. Did you know 20 million Chinese died in WWII?
    Somehow you never hear about that...

    thanatoid, Jun 6, 2009
  14. Aardvark

    thanatoid Guest

    Manatee Memories <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 18:53:02 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
    > <> wrote, by way of

    >>You ARE aware the war (excluding actions of Japan who
    >>actually started WWII) started on Sept 1, 1939?

    > Or, perhaps, during that attack on the Marco Polo bridge
    > (1932-33?)?

    Never heard of that event. As I said, I have some big gaps in my
    general knowledge.

    >>> but were
    >>> held back by Churchill who was, apparently, still held in
    >>> thrall by nightmares/visions of the Somme (and similar).

    > <....>
    >>"gentlemen's agreements"

    > <....>
    >
    > And on that note... any thought re why Truman *really*
    > decided to drop the bomb?

    I haven't given it much thought, except depending on where I had
    been living at various times, I have often thought he chose the
    wrong place to drop them. ;-)

    AFA justifying it, I do not believe there was any justification.
    The fact TWO were dropped pretty much defeats even the
    "experiment" theory. I don't know. All US presidents (and
    probably all rulers of most if not /all/ nations throughout
    history) were mass murderers, even the ones that GOT murdered
    themselves.

    <SNIP>

    thanatoid, Jun 6, 2009
  15. Aardvark

    thanatoid Guest

    Manatee Memories <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 20:29:21 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
    > <> wrote, by way of

    >>Of course, it's somewhat ironic how all the European
    >>nations - now members of NATO - obediently sent their
    >>soldiers to die for "American oil" located in Iraq. (Yes, I
    >>know the numbers were tiny. I'm talking about the larger
    >>picture.)

    > Germany and France did not, iirc.

    I was talking primarily about the former Communist Bloc nations.
    I have no exact info, but I remember seeing some interesting
    data.

    > There was something (print? web? I dunno) a while back,
    > along the lines of "When France says we are arrogant, and
    > Germany won't go to war", is when we (the U.S.) knows (or,
    > *should* realize) we are in an inferior position, morally
    > speaking.

    Not bad. Would be nice if more Americans realized that the US
    has been the most powerful and most ruthless terrorist of them
    all. Oh well... "American Idol" is coming on...

    >>My knowledge of history is actually quite spotty, but I do
    >>know some facts. Did you know 20 million Chinese died in
    >>WWII? Somehow you never hear about that...

    > At *least* 20 million. But when considering the volume
    > cut-down in "Russia".....

    Yes, no one can deny that 20 million of an (already then I
    believe, close anyway) one-billion-people nation is not a large
    percentage, but the families of those killed probably didn't
    think about that angle - such as it is to begin with.

    And yes, a LOT more Russians died than is generally known. There
    were Jews, Poles, Russians, and even Germans in the
    concentration camps. They were NOT an exclusive Jewish resort,
    although I can understand the Jews making such a big deal of it
    - after all, about half of their race was exterminated.

    thanatoid, Jun 7, 2009