Iexplorer 7 opens up to 85 clone copies viewable in the tasklist only

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by koolkrogh@gmail.com, Nov 30, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I have a peculiar problem. When I open internet explorer (version 7 -
    32 bit) this program, sometimes, quickly becomes unstable and
    impossible to work with. I realised that my tasklist was swarmed with
    iexplorer tasks, and I could barely shut these tasks down before new
    ones appeared. I have no apparent virus, but I have run cc cleaner to
    clean up a.o. the Registry files.

    My PC is a quad core, 4GB RAM, 64 bit windows vista business edition.
    ALL available updates from MS have been isntalled as well as virus
    protection (AVG) and windows defender has run regularly.

    Unfortunately some of my banking sites cannot be accessed via Chrome
    which is why need to find a lasting solution.

    As the problem is not constant I am having difficulties solving this.
    Iexplorer can be perfectly normal for a few days then suddenly start
    to act as described.

    Any ideas would be helpful -

    chris

    , Nov 30, 2008

  2. Ralph Guest

    Have you tried resetting IE back to factory specs, or running it without
    add-ons?

    Without add-ons, is located in Accessories->System Tools.
    If this is OK, something you've added is causing the problem.
    If so, start by removing any toolbars from Programs and Features.

    Before I do my weekly scans, I always delete the cookies and temp files.
    That cuts down on scanning time, (marginally) and makes the result perfectly
    boring. (nothing ever gets found)
    If I have any trouble with IE, resetting it back to defaults has always
    worked for me.
    'Course, I also have no toolbars, which IE is fussy about, and a Start
    folder with one item in it.
    My system is so boring... it works.

    Ralph, Nov 30, 2008

  3. You might want to ask this question over on
    microsoft.public.security.homeusers newsgroup. It sounds very much like
    you've been infected with malware, and the regulars on that newsgroup are
    really good at helping to clean up the mess from this sort of thing.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2008
  4. Hello,
    We did see this once as an error condition with Outlook Express during the
    beta, so the question needs to asked if the 32-bit or 64-bit Outlook
    Express client is being used. The 64-bit client should not be having this
    issue, but the 32-bit IE is used so it will call a 32-bit email client.
    Check the default email handlers in IE and try changing them or even not
    identifying one to check to see if this still repros.
    When we saw this is was an error message that was being displayed multiple
    times.
    Each time the repetative error would open separate IE windows, each time
    it displaying the same error code until it ran out of resources.
    It is depleting Desktop Heap, so that is probably why it stops at around 85
    instances and the system is extremely sluggish.
    What is displayed on each IE instance? Is the home page or is it an error
    message?
    What other applications are running?

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]