    sorry if i am asking a basic question but i am very new to wireless
    networking ........

    thanks
    tim, Feb 9, 2006

  2. tim

    Brit W. [MS] Guest

    "tim" <notforspam@timothy> wrote in
    news::

    > I am not sure if my network needs this,as i have had some problems
    > with it due to other things,but i am wondering if you need to obtain a
    > certificate from thawte or somewhere else to use this feature and if
    > it makes it harder for anyone to try to log on ??? Does the router
    > only allow access to a list of users with the IEEE authentication on
    > ???
    >
    > sorry if i am asking a basic question but i am very new to wireless
    > networking ........
    >
    > thanks

    Without knowning how your network is configured, it is difficult to say
    whether you require a certificate.

    A few basics about 802.1X.
    Your infrastructure must support 802.1X; meaning, your wireless access
    points must be 802.1X/RADIUS compliant. You must deploy and configure
    some form of RADIUS, such as Microsoft IAS.
    Certificate needs are based on the authentication method you use for
    RADIUS authentication. However, it is safe to say that you will require
    -at minimum, a server certificate.

    A properly configured 802.1X Authenticated wireless network is more
    secure than a network that does not use 802.1X. For network users that
    have the correct credentials and who are authorized, the logon
    experience should not differ greatly compared to loggin on to the
    network using a wired connection. For unathorized users, 802.1X makes
    gaining access considerably more difficult.

    With respects to 802.1X, the main function of the router (wireless
    access point) is to pass "secure" authentication related messages
    between wireless clients and the authenticating server.

    The full functioning of 802.1X is too vast of a subject to discuss in
    this format, so I suggest that you visit the Microsoft Wireless
    Networking site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/networking/wifi/
    default.mspx

    Additionally, there is a paper available at the Microsoft Download
    Center that describes two deployment methods for secure wireless access.
    One is for small office/home office (SOHO) networks. The second is for
    small organization that are domain-based networks, built using Windows
    Server 2003 technologies. The paper contains information you can be use
    to determine the preferred method for deploying secure wireless access
    in existing SOHO networks or small organization networks and step-by-
    step instructions for setting up secure wireless connections.

    --
    Brit Weston, Microsoft

    Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online
    account name for newsgroup participation only.

    rights.
    Brit W. [MS], Feb 9, 2006

  3. tim

    Carol Guest

    Tia,
    Are you trying to set up a home wireless network? You may be making this a
    lot harder for yourself than it really is, if it is a home network. I have 5
    computers on my home wired and wireless network and I do not have IEEE
    enabled on any.

    Carol, Feb 14, 2006