    I have IEEE 1394_1 and IEEE 1394_2 connectors on my new board with RJ45 as
    input, surely I cant connect my cable modem up here can I and do away with
    my network card
    dave, Jul 2, 2003

  2. dave

    Mitch Guest

    In article <yRvMa.631339$>, dave
    <> wrote:

    > I have IEEE 1394_1 and IEEE 1394_2 connectors on my new board with RJ45 as
    > input, surely I cant connect my cable modem up here can I and do away with
    > my network card

    Not unless you find some kind of adapter for FireWire-Ethernet.

    But your request seems odd -- an Ethernet card is not expensive, nor
    does it cost a lot of performance. And it is the preferred way to
    connect a broadband network adapter lke that for cable networks.

    Is there some other reason you want to do this?
    Mitch, Jul 2, 2003

  3. dave

    paul s Guest

    dave wrote:

    > I have IEEE 1394_1 and IEEE 1394_2 connectors on my new board with RJ45
    > as input, surely I cant connect my cable modem up here can I and do away
    > with my network card

    IEEE1394 (FireWire) with a RJ45 input?? Cable modems do indeed have RJ45
    connectors, but they are 10/100baseT network connectors not IEEE1394. Some
    cable modems also have USB.

    Normal IEEE1394 connectors look similar to USB connectors, and RJ45
    connectors look like american telephone plugs.
    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jul 2, 2003