IEC Inlet Powerboard

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JohnO, Dec 6, 2012.

  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Dec 6, 2012

  2. JohnO

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Anyone know of a NZ supplier for such a thing?
    >
    > Like this: http://www.ji.com.au/products/PT7779/
    >
    > Only with a local supplier.

    No, sorry.

    However I got around a similar problem myself a few years back by using an
    IEC 'jumper cable' like we used to use for running monitors from a PSU
    outlet. I just cut the male end off it and fitted a 3-pin socket meant for
    an extension lead. LOL, I think I still have it somewhere...

    Best,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Dec 6, 2012

  3. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Friday, 7 December 2012 12:11:02 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,
    > > Anyone know of a NZ supplier for such a thing?
    > > Like this: http://www.ji.com.au/products/PT7779/
    > > Only with a local supplier.

    > No, sorry.
    >
    > However I got around a similar problem myself a few years back by using an
    > IEC 'jumper cable' like we used to use for running monitors from a PSU
    > outlet. I just cut the male end off it and fitted a 3-pin socket meant for
    > an extension lead. LOL, I think I still have it somewhere...

    Hehe, yeah, in the old days I would have done the same without a second thought. However now that I am old, and there are small children in the house, I do less messing with mains power.

    I have found some IEC Male <-> 3 pin socket adapters. So I can use that to connect a powerboard to the IEC female plug that is available in the space I need to install some stuff. Just a bit less tidy.

    JohnO, Dec 6, 2012
  4. JohnO

    Richard Guest

    On 12/7/2012 12:11 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Anyone know of a NZ supplier for such a thing?
    >>
    >> Like this: http://www.ji.com.au/products/PT7779/
    >>
    >> Only with a local supplier.

    > No, sorry.
    >
    > However I got around a similar problem myself a few years back by using an
    > IEC 'jumper cable' like we used to use for running monitors from a PSU
    > outlet. I just cut the male end off it and fitted a 3-pin socket meant for
    > an extension lead. LOL, I think I still have it somewhere...
    >
    > Best,

    Unfortunatly chopping and wiring cables yourself is only an option for
    at home use. Otherwise you are up a sparky charge etc and then the
    test-n-tag BS fee which makes an off the shelf product at even $60 a
    much better option.

    Richard, Dec 8, 2012
  5. JohnO

    Me Guest

    On 9/12/2012 1:01 a.m., Richard wrote:

    > test-n-tag BS

    This system is ridiculous on work sites. Test and tag every power tool,
    workplace supervisors checking tags, downtime to get stuff checked by
    some spotty-faced kid who did a two week course at polytech.
    It's good news for vendors of trade quality battery tools though. A few
    tradies I know have put deep cycle battery systems in their work utes,
    inverters and/or switched as entirely as possible over to battery tools,
    just to avoid this BS.
    If there'd been an epidemic of electrocution in the workplace due to
    230v tool and appliance faults, then fair enough. But AFAIK there
    hasn't been, RCDs are ubiquitous, most serious electrical accidents seem
    to be sparkies working on HT gear, or incidents with HT power lines.
    Occasional "jolts" from equipment are most often from cutting through
    power cords with the tool etc - and a tag doesn't prevent that any more
    than a WOF prevents a driver from overtaking on a blind corner.

    Me, Dec 8, 2012
  6. JohnO

    EMB Guest

    On 9/12/2012 8:54 a.m., Me wrote:
    > On 9/12/2012 1:01 a.m., Richard wrote:
    >
    >> test-n-tag BS

    > This system is ridiculous on work sites. Test and tag every power tool,
    > workplace supervisors checking tags, downtime to get stuff checked by
    > some spotty-faced kid who did a two week course at polytech.

    It's worse than that... there is no need for any qualification or
    training beyond being "deemed competent" for which the standard measure
    appears to be a 4 HOUR course, 10 question multiple-guess test and 20
    minute practical assessment.

    EMB, Dec 8, 2012
  7. JohnO

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 9/12/2012 8:54 a.m., Me wrote:
    >> On 9/12/2012 1:01 a.m., Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> test-n-tag BS

    >> This system is ridiculous on work sites. Test and tag every power
    >> tool, workplace supervisors checking tags, downtime to get stuff
    >> checked by some spotty-faced kid who did a two week course at
    >> polytech.

    > It's worse than that... there is no need for any qualification or
    > training beyond being "deemed competent" for which the standard
    > measure appears to be a 4 HOUR course, 10 question multiple-guess
    > test and 20 minute practical assessment.

    Hmmm.... Maybe I could make some money.....

    ~misfit~, Dec 10, 2012
  8. JohnO

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > On 12/7/2012 12:11 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know of a NZ supplier for such a thing?
    >>>
    >>> Like this: http://www.ji.com.au/products/PT7779/
    >>>
    >>> Only with a local supplier.

    >> No, sorry.
    >>
    >> However I got around a similar problem myself a few years back by
    >> using an IEC 'jumper cable' like we used to use for running monitors
    >> from a PSU outlet. I just cut the male end off it and fitted a 3-pin
    >> socket meant for an extension lead. LOL, I think I still have it
    >> somewhere... Best,
    >>

    > Unfortunatly chopping and wiring cables yourself is only an option for
    > at home use. Otherwise you are up a sparky charge etc and then the
    > test-n-tag BS fee which makes an off the shelf product at even $60 a
    > much better option.

    Yeah, that *is* crazy. Especially for those of us who go to the extreme of
    twisting and soldering the ends of wires like this together (then checking
    and clipping if need be) before putting them into the connection - just to
    be sure that there are no stray 'whiskers' to cause minor shorts....

    ~misfit~, Dec 10, 2012