    comp is rebooted the menus turn black again.

    Anyone know of a permanent fix?

    Using XP Pro SP3 on a old Pentium III system.

    Dex, Jan 12, 2010

  2. Dex

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 18:49:32 +0000, Dex wrote:

    > I upgraded to IE8 from version 7 and all the toolbars are now black,
    > hiding the menus. I goggled for the fix and most results said to change
    > the desktop theme to classic and back again. It does work but if the
    > comp is rebooted the menus turn black again.
    >
    > Anyone know of a permanent fix?
    >

    > Using XP Pro SP3 on a old Pentium III system.

    Linux

    richard, Jan 12, 2010

  3. Dex

    Mike Easter Guest

    Dex wrote:
    > I upgraded to IE8 from version 7

    For what specific reason did you do that?

    > and all the toolbars are now black,
    > hiding the menus. I goggled for the fix and most results said to change
    > the desktop theme to classic and back again.

    Actually there are all kinds of different answers to that question. The
    results of people using those answers varies. Some answers said what
    you said and some people said that didn't help. Some answers said to
    get new video drivers and lots of people said that didn't help.

    Personally, I like this combination of answers seen here
    http://snipr.com/u256l social.answers.microsoft.com/Forum black
    toolbars on explorer 8

    <q>
    This is how I fixed this problem on my computer, - go to start, control
    panal, click Internet options. Under the general tab, go down to
    Appearance and click colors. Uncheck the "use windows colors box" and
    click ok.
    <q>
    Thanks - that worked!
    </q>

    > Anyone know of a permanent fix?

    When you search and find an answer, don't stop searching or reading
    after the first hit-- find out how many different answers there are and
    compare the results of a number of different people trying an answer.

    http://snipr.com/u25ag Search results for 'explorer+8+black+toolbar':

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 12, 2010
  4. richard wrote:

    > Dex wrote:
    >> I upgraded to IE8 from version 7 and all the toolbars are now black,
    >> hiding the menus. I goggled for the fix and most results said to
    >> change the desktop theme to classic and back again. It does work but
    >> if the comp is rebooted the menus turn black again.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of a permanent fix?
    >>
    >> Using XP Pro SP3 on a old Pentium III system.

    > Linux

    <ROF,L> Coming from you, that's a joke! What do you know about Linux?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 12, 2010
  5. Dex

    Dex Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Dex wrote:
    >> I upgraded to IE8 from version 7

    > For what specific reason did you do that?

    A tinsy wee bit more secure than IE7..?

    > > and all the toolbars are now black,
    >> hiding the menus. I goggled for the fix and most results said to
    >> change the desktop theme to classic and back again.

    > Actually there are all kinds of different answers to that question. The
    > results of people using those answers varies. Some answers said what
    > you said and some people said that didn't help. Some answers said to
    > get new video drivers and lots of people said that didn't help.

    And some said to "- Uninstall IE 8 - Uninstall SP3 - Reinstall SP3 -
    Reinstall the IE 8 and try it". Also "Start - Type regsvr32 oleacc.dll
    and regsvr32 actxprxy.dll and press enter."

    > Personally, I like this combination of answers seen here
    > http://snipr.com/u256l social.answers.microsoft.com/Forum black
    > toolbars on explorer 8
    >
    > <q>
    > This is how I fixed this problem on my computer, - go to start, control
    > panal, click Internet options. Under the general tab, go down to
    > Appearance and click colors. Uncheck the "use windows colors box" and
    > click ok.
    > <q>
    > Thanks - that worked!
    > </q>

    Until I rebooted...

    >> Anyone know of a permanent fix?

    > When you search and find an answer, don't stop searching or reading
    > after the first hit-- find out how many different answers there are and
    > compare the results of a number of different people trying an answer.

    I did try loads of different answers, but as they didn't work on a
    permanent basis I thought I'd ask the knowable people on here.

    >> Using XP Pro SP3 on a old Pentium III system.

    > http://snipr.com/u25ag Search results for 'explorer+8+black+toolbar':

    It's either back to IE7 and wait for M$ to issue a fix, or double
    clicking on a saved windows theme before I need to use IE8 (thankfully
    very rarely).

    Dex, Jan 12, 2010
  6. Dex

    VanguardLH Guest

    Dex wrote:

    > I upgraded to IE8 from version 7 and all the toolbars are now black,
    > hiding the menus. I goggled for the fix and most results said to change
    > the desktop theme to classic and back again. It does work but if the
    > comp is rebooted the menus turn black again.
    >
    > Anyone know of a permanent fix?
    >
    > Using XP Pro SP3 on a old Pentium III system.

    Did you install an add-on to IE that adds a toolbar?

    Using any Windows theme manager, like WindowsBlinds?

    VanguardLH, Jan 13, 2010
  7. Dex

    Dex Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Dex wrote:
    >
    >> I upgraded to IE8 from version 7 and all the toolbars are now black,
    >> hiding the menus. I goggled for the fix and most results said to change
    >> the desktop theme to classic and back again. It does work but if the
    >> comp is rebooted the menus turn black again.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of a permanent fix?
    >>
    >> Using XP Pro SP3 on a old Pentium III system.

    > Did you install an add-on to IE that adds a toolbar?

    Orbit Downloader did, Grab Pro, disabled it. The menu bar and command
    bar are still black.

    > Using any Windows theme manager, like WindowsBlinds?

    Nope.

    Dex, Jan 14, 2010
  8. Dex

    VanguardLH Guest

    Dex wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> Dex wrote:
    >>
    >>> I upgraded to IE8 from version 7 and all the toolbars are now black,
    >>> hiding the menus. I goggled for the fix and most results said to change
    >>> the desktop theme to classic and back again. It does work but if the
    >>> comp is rebooted the menus turn black again.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know of a permanent fix?
    >>>
    >>> Using XP Pro SP3 on a old Pentium III system.

    >> Did you install an add-on to IE that adds a toolbar?

    > Orbit Downloader did, Grab Pro, disabled it. The menu bar and command
    > bar are still black.
    >

    >> Using any Windows theme manager, like WindowsBlinds?

    > Nope.

    Have you tried loading IE8 in its no add-ons mode?

    VanguardLH, Jan 14, 2010
  9. Dex

    Dex Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Dex wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:

    >>> Did you install an add-on to IE that adds a toolbar?

    >> Orbit Downloader did, Grab Pro, disabled it. The menu bar and command
    >> bar are still black.
    >>
    >>> Using any Windows theme manager, like WindowsBlinds?

    >> Nope.

    > Have you tried loading IE8 in its no add-ons mode?

    Yep, still has black toolbars.

    Dex, Jan 14, 2010
  10. Dex

    Dex Guest

    http://i49.tinypic.com/a9y328.jpg

    Dex, Jan 14, 2010
  11. Dex

    VanguardLH Guest

    Dex wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> Dex wrote:

    >>> Orbit Downloader did, Grab Pro, disabled it. The menu bar and command
    >>> bar are still black.

    >>> Nope.

    >> Have you tried loading IE8 in its no add-ons mode?

    > Yep, still has black toolbars.

    Try [re]booting into Windows' safe mode (with networking) to check of the
    blackout continues?

    In another of your posts, you said that disabling the "Use Windows colors"
    worked until you rebooted. Afte disabling the option and after rebooting to
    see the blackout reappear, was that option still disabled?

    VanguardLH, Jan 15, 2010
  12. Dex

    Dex Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Dex wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:

    >>> Have you tried loading IE8 in its no add-ons mode?

    >> Yep, still has black toolbars.

    > Try [re]booting into Windows' safe mode (with networking) to check of the
    > blackout continues?

    The toolbars are normal.

    > In another of your posts, you said that disabling the "Use Windows colors"
    > worked until you rebooted. Afte disabling the option and after rebooting to
    > see the blackout reappear, was that option still disabled?

    Yes.

    Dex, Jan 15, 2010
  13. Dex

    VanguardLH Guest

    Dex wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> Dex wrote:

    >>> Nope.

    >> Try [re]booting into Windows' safe mode (with networking) to check if the
    >> blackout continues?

    > The toolbars are normal.

    Then I suspect that you are using a theme manager, like WindowBlinds (there
    are others, too), because it doesn't load in Windows' safe mode. You'll
    have to start looking at your startup programs to see which one is likely to
    be altering your theme.

    VanguardLH, Jan 15, 2010
  14. Dex

    Dex Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Dex wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:

    >>> Try [re]booting into Windows' safe mode (with networking) to check if the
    >>> blackout continues?

    >> The toolbars are normal.

    > Then I suspect that you are using a theme manager, like WindowBlinds (there

    You're wrong, the only 'theme' I use is Windows classic.

    > are others, too), because it doesn't load in Windows' safe mode. You'll
    > have to start looking at your startup programs to see which one is likely to
    > be altering your theme.

    The only two things listed in startup are Bandwidth Monitor Pro and
    Volmouse. Other than a bit of astronomy wallpaper ALL eye candy is
    turned off.

    I did say I'm running WP on a 10 year old Pentium III with 512MB memory,
    so all non-essential services are disabled.

    Dex, Jan 15, 2010