IE8 is Tops..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Woger, Aug 16, 2009.

  1. Woger

    Woger Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Woger

    AD. Guest

    Re: IE8 is Tops..

    On Aug 16, 2:53 pm, Woger <> wrote:
    > Yes by a long way.
    >
    > http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/IE8-Tops-Firefox-Google-Chrome-Othe...

    At detecting social engineering phishing links. It wasn't a long way
    ahead with detecting the actual phishing sites though.

    Gee, those would be the two most important features to me in choosing
    my browser. Followed by a droolproof cover, and knuckle pads to
    prevent me scraping them on the ground.

    What's next, an evaluation of cars based on how well they do at
    stopping you getting lost or falling asleep behind the wheel?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 16, 2009

  3. Woger

    Gordon Guest

    Re: IE8 is Tops..

    On 2009-08-16, AD. <> wrote:
    > On Aug 16, 2:53 pm, Woger <> wrote:
    >> Yes by a long way.
    >>
    >> http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/IE8-Tops-Firefox-Google-Chrome-Othe...

    > At detecting social engineering phishing links. It wasn't a long way
    > ahead with detecting the actual phishing sites though.
    >
    > Gee, those would be the two most important features to me in choosing
    > my browser. Followed by a droolproof cover, and knuckle pads to
    > prevent me scraping them on the ground.
    >
    > What's next, an evaluation of cars based on how well they do at
    > stopping you getting lost or falling asleep behind the wheel?

    Many a true word said in jest.

    What one heras is 99% sounds, what one sees/"reads" is 88% of no
    interest. What one experiences is real to one.

    So I experience a whole lot of crap which is out of the sewer.
    Gordon, Aug 16, 2009
  4. Re: IE8 is Tops?

    Not to some <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/35513a44de5bdb80>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 16, 2009
  5. Woger

    Nighthawk Guest

    Nighthawk, Aug 16, 2009
  6. Woger

    impossible Guest

    "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:53:38 +1200, Woger <> wrote:
    >

    >>Yes by a long way.
    >>
    >>http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/I...-Others-in-Browser-Security-Smackdown-254742/

    > Only where phishing is concerned (can't recall encountering a phishing
    > page anyway), but not so good here:

    <shakes head> You didn't actually read the info at Secunia did you?

    > IE8
    > http://secunia.com/advisories/product/21625

    IE8 has zero unpatched vulnerabilities in 2009

    > Opera 9.*
    > http://secunia.com/advisories/product/10615

    Opera 9 has zero unpatched vulnerabilities in 2009

    > Firefox 3.5.*
    > http://secunia.com/advisories/product/25800

    Firefox 3.5 has zero unpatched vulnerabilitiues in 2009

    All browsers securely patched. What's your point.
    impossible, Aug 16, 2009
  7. Woger

    thingy Guest

    Re: IE8 is Tops..

    > http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/IE8-Tops-Firefox-Google-Chrome-Othe...

    So MS and ie8 is making the web safer for cretins....good on
    them....finally.

    An more important feature for me is ad-blocking....can ie 8 do that?
    Im not aware it can...

    Can ie8 run on Mac, Linux and Windows?....Im not aware it can...

    Can ie8 be customised? to the same extent as FF?

    Can I add adblock?

    WOT?

    I would certainly like to see how well FF does with WOT added.

    Oh and more importantly this is only a blocking technology, its flawed
    in that to actually test the real impact of a malicious site we should
    be looking at the actual infection rate....ie consider the depth of
    the defences...

    So the same argument can be considerd for Linux when you look at
    antivirus products...no one wastes money installing an anti-virus
    product on Linux, because the unlying OS cant be infected....

    So a test with say anti-virus on windows and then on Linux showing the
    anti-virus product protects windows better than Linux is meaningless.

    Oh and MS is spending a fortune protecting its ie8 share....which is
    interesting it feels it has to....

    NSS labs has always been a MS sucker....they are just showing one
    aspect of a/the problem...when you consider it overall this would be
    just one aspect.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 18, 2009
  8. Woger

    Max Burke Guest

    Re: IE8 is Tops..

    thingy wrote:
    >> http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/IE8-Tops-Firefox-Google-Chrome-Othe...

    > So MS and ie8 is making the web safer for cretins....good on
    > them....finally.

    The majority of Ordinary computer users = cretins. (to you)
    But hey that's Linux advocacy for you...

    > An more important feature for me is ad-blocking....can ie 8 do that?
    > Im not aware it can...

    Neither can Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc, etc, etc...

    Unless you install and add on to specifically block adds.

    A good one for IE 6,7 and 8 is IE Pro.
    http://www.ie7pro.com/

    Add Block plus for Firefox
    http://www.ie7pro.com/

    The others I dont know about as I've never bothered using them long
    enough to find out what's available.

    > Can ie8 run on Mac, Linux and Windows?....Im not aware it can...

    Does it *need to?*

    > Can ie8 be customised? to the same extent as FF?

    Yes.
    http://www.ieaddons.com/en/ (for starters)

    > Can I add adblock?

    No. Because the Adblock creators have NOT made an IE version.
    You should get back to them and ask *THEM* why.

    Snip the usual quasi religous crap about Linux

    You know when you 'Linux advocates' stop believing all other computer
    users as cretins [sic], other computer user might start listening to
    what you have to say about Linux....

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Aug 18, 2009
  9. Re: IE8 is Tops?