    both XP and Vista. Anyone here encountered this?

    I installed the latest Firefox which imported all his favourites and
    cookies and he is happy as Larry with that.

    Nighthawk, Aug 14, 2009

  2. Nighthawk

    Max Burke Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > I don't use XP or Vista and certainly won't use IE. But a neighbour
    > of mine, with XP, said he had accepted some updates and now IE8 won't
    > start or starts and closes after error messages. I uninstalled two
    > IE8 updates but it still won't start. He isn't sure what version he
    > had previously, IE7 or 8. But this seems to be a common problem with
    > both XP and Vista. Anyone here encountered this?

    No.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Aug 14, 2009

  3. Nighthawk

    Woger Guest

    On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 22:27:15 +1200, Nighthawk <> wrote:

    >I don't use XP or Vista and certainly won't use IE. But a neighbour
    >of mine, with XP, said he had accepted some updates and now IE8 won't
    >start or starts and closes after error messages. I uninstalled two
    >IE8 updates but it still won't start. He isn't sure what version he
    >had previously, IE7 or 8. But this seems to be a common problem with
    >both XP and Vista. Anyone here encountered this?
    >
    >I installed the latest Firefox which imported all his favourites and
    >cookies and he is happy as Larry with that.

    I have no real problems with IE8 except for the slow tabbing problem that I
    get, drops tabs.

    Running XP SP3

    Woger, Aug 14, 2009
  4. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:25:55 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    >"Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    >>I don't use XP or Vista and certainly won't use IE. But a neighbour
    >> of mine, with XP, said he had accepted some updates and now IE8 won't
    >> start or starts and closes after error messages. I uninstalled two
    >> IE8 updates but it still won't start. He isn't sure what version he
    >> had previously, IE7 or 8. But this seems to be a common problem with
    >> both XP and Vista. Anyone here encountered this?
    >>
    >> I installed the latest Firefox which imported all his favourites and
    >> cookies and he is happy as Larry with that.
    >>

    >Does it say anything in the event log about what happened? Are all updates
    >installed on the machine?

    His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
    it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.

    Nighthawk, Aug 14, 2009
  5. Nighthawk

    EMB Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
    > it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.

    Common problem - how so? We've had no significant installation problems
    across about 900 machines.

    EMB, Aug 14, 2009
  6. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 10:13:17 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Nighthawk wrote:
    >> His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
    >> it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.
    >>

    >Common problem - how so? We've had no significant installation problems
    >across about 900 machines.

    Google?

    Nighthawk, Aug 15, 2009
  7. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:35:51 +1200, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >Nighthawk wrote:
    >>>

    >> His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
    >> it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.

    >WQell there are a hell of a lot of IE8s that seem tto work just fine, so
    >presumably there is something specific about his system that is stuffed up.
    >

    >Has he tried uninstalling and reinstallling ? Doing a RegClean (google it)
    >in-between time ? Uninstalling any no-mainstream browser plugins ?
    >

    >geoff

    He has an 'out-of-the-box' system, used exclusively for email, a
    little browsing and a little word processing (on a fast dual-core CPU
    with 3 gigs of RAM), hasn't installed anything else at all. It was
    after accepting some updates that IE8 stopped working, as many others
    have found. I uninstalled the updates for IE8 but haven't uninstalled
    the browser yet until I find out more. In forums I see that some have
    reverted back to IE7 because of this. There is no urgency as he is
    happy with the Firefox 3.5.2 I installed for him.

    Nighthawk, Aug 17, 2009
  8. Nighthawk

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nighthawk wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:35:51 +1200, "geoff" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Nighthawk wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
    >>> it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.

    >> WQell there are a hell of a lot of IE8s that seem tto work just
    >> fine, so presumably there is something specific about his system
    >> that is stuffed up.
    >>

    >> Has he tried uninstalling and reinstallling ? Doing a RegClean
    >> (google it) in-between time ? Uninstalling any no-mainstream browser
    >> plugins ?
    >>

    >> geoff
    >>

    > He has an 'out-of-the-box' system, used exclusively for email, a
    > little browsing and a little word processing (on a fast dual-core CPU
    > with 3 gigs of RAM), hasn't installed anything else at all. It was
    > after accepting some updates that IE8 stopped working, as many others
    > have found. I uninstalled the updates for IE8 but haven't uninstalled
    > the browser yet until I find out more. In forums I see that some have
    > reverted back to IE7 because of this. There is no urgency as he is
    > happy with the Firefox 3.5.2 I installed for him.

    It could have something to do with a customised version of IE maybe? The IE
    that came with this ThinkPad T60 has "Lenovo" on the right-hand side of the
    top of IE. When I updated to IE 7 it broke but when I went to IE 8 (and
    downloaded updates from Lenovo) all's well again.

    Just a thought....
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 17, 2009
  9. Nighthawk

    impossible Guest

    "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:25:55 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    >>>I don't use XP or Vista and certainly won't use IE. But a neighbour
    >>> of mine, with XP, said he had accepted some updates and now IE8 won't
    >>> start or starts and closes after error messages. I uninstalled two
    >>> IE8 updates but it still won't start. He isn't sure what version he
    >>> had previously, IE7 or 8. But this seems to be a common problem with
    >>> both XP and Vista. Anyone here encountered this?
    >>>
    >>> I installed the latest Firefox which imported all his favourites and
    >>> cookies and he is happy as Larry with that.
    >>>

    >>Does it say anything in the event log about what happened? Are all updates
    >>installed on the machine?
    >>

    > His XP automatic updates is enabled. Haven't looked at the log, but
    > it does seem to be a common problem with IE8 on XP and Vista.

    Reference for that? You being a freetard troll who "certainly won't use IE"
    yourself, it would be good to know how useless you've been at googling
    solutions.

    impossible, Aug 18, 2009