    cannot believe how many virus attacks I received seconds after loading ie7

    stuck ie 7 for 1 day and then reverted to ie 6 cannot believe how poor ie7
    was

    flybywire, Nov 13, 2006

  2. flybywire wrote:

    > cannot believe how many virus attacks I received seconds after loading
    > ie7

    What kind of "virus attacks"? This would not be dependent on your
    browser.

    > stuck ie 7 for 1 day and then reverted to ie 6 cannot believe how
    > poor ie7 was

    You're the first to post in any group that I read who said there were
    "virus attacks".

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 13, 2006

  3. flybywire

    doobydoobydo Guest

    Think the same happened to me could be coincidence of course but hardly any
    spyware for years then woosh after downloading ie7 within two days.

    smitfraud
    purityscan

    and loads of other malware that I can't remember without looking up. Rolled
    back to ie 6 cleaned machine and things seem ok now.
    doobydoobydo, Nov 13, 2006
  4. flybywire

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:34:38 -0000, "doobydoobydo"
    <> wrote:

    >Think the same happened to me could be coincidence of course but hardly any
    >spyware for years then woosh after downloading ie7 within two days.

    The same 'what' happened to you? Near as I can tell, you're responding
    to Shagnasty's post.
    Evan Platt, Nov 13, 2006
  5. Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:34:38 -0000, "doobydoobydo"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Think the same happened to me could be coincidence of course but
    >> hardly any spyware for years then woosh after downloading ie7 within
    >> two days.

    > The same 'what' happened to you? Near as I can tell, you're
    > responding to Shagnasty's post.

    Yeah, it was. <g> These are the first two posts I've seen where
    someone said "I downloaded IE7 and immediately got 'wooshed' with
    spyware." If dooby got smitfraud and that other thing, it seems obvious
    that IE7 is no more secure than its predecessor. <lol>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 13, 2006
  6. "flybywire" flute-danced this ditty in

    > cannot believe how many virus attacks
    > I received seconds after loading ie7

    I'd bet you are *not* the only one!

    --

    Somebody told me that it was extremely frightening
    how much topsoil we are losing each year;
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 14, 2006
  7. flybywire

    AnonyMouse Guest

    doobydoobydo wrote:
    > Think the same happened to me could be coincidence of course but hardly any
    > spyware for years then woosh after downloading ie7 within two days.
    >
    > smitfraud
    > purityscan
    >
    > and loads of other malware that I can't remember without looking up. Rolled
    > back to ie 6 cleaned machine and things seem ok now.

    No matter what your browser is, you should have firewall, antivirus, and
    antispyware protection software. It has nothing to do with the browser;
    IE7 does not come with spyware or viruses, no matter how much the
    anti-Microsoft crowd may wish it did. May I suggest that maybe a false
    sense of security (in this case, users thinking IE7 is a panacea for
    security) might have led some people into being less careful with what
    they download?
    AnonyMouse, Nov 14, 2006
  8. flybywire

    pcbutts1 Guest

    No no no, IE7's security detects these attempts and warns you. IE6 does not.

    pcbutts1, Nov 14, 2006
  9. AnonyMouse wrote:
    > No matter what your browser is, you should have firewall, antivirus, and
    > antispyware protection software. It has nothing to do with the browser;

    Well, maybe with activeX and it's vulnerabilities. But that still needs to
    visit suspect sites ...

    > IE7 does not come with spyware or viruses, no matter how much the
    > anti-Microsoft crowd may wish it did. May I suggest that maybe a false
    > sense of security (in this case, users thinking IE7 is a panacea for
    > security) might have led some people into being less careful with what
    > they download?

    I smell something here ... there are "tools" to bypass the wga thing.
    Scanning them with updated definitions next week may reveal there is a
    trojan downloader included, or not. Who knows.
    Without wga one cannot install IE7, so far. No, it isn't microsofts fault,
    but nevertheless unwise to disgruntle the ...erm "early adopters" and make
    them badmouth at ie7 in the end.
    Walter Mautner, Nov 14, 2006
  10. flybywire

    flybywire Guest

    not true

    I have za pro plus ca virus pro plus anti spy

    the spawning viruses flooded in with ie7 , never had such a prob with ie 6
    and indeed now I have gone back the flood has stopped

    zapro picked several and killed plus antispy worked well

    perhaps ms have attached bugs to test our protection !

    flybywire, Nov 14, 2006
  11. flybywire

    Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:15:15 GMT, "flybywire" <> wrote:

    >not true
    >
    >I have za pro plus ca virus pro plus anti spy
    >
    >the spawning viruses flooded in with ie7 , never had such a prob with ie 6
    >and indeed now I have gone back the flood has stopped
    >
    >zapro picked several and killed plus antispy worked well
    >
    >perhaps ms have attached bugs to test our protection !

    On my three PC's I use both hardware and software firewalls and an
    anti-virus. None showed any virus activity when I installed IE7 on all
    three PC's. I think you have some other problem that IE7 may have
    stirred up a bit.

    http://www.easynn.com
    , Nov 14, 2006
  12. flybywire

    doobydoobydo Guest

    Personally I have AVG, Norton, windows defender firewall,ad- aware, spyware
    doctor, spybot, and regularly check hijack this etc. so no false sense of
    security there.

    doobydoobydo, Nov 14, 2006
  13. flybywire

    doobydoobydo Guest

    I have also found the flood has stopped now I have rolled back to IE6. I
    have no bones with microsoft I like internet explorer. I would also have
    liked IE7 but maybe wise to wait until its been going for a year.

    doobydoobydo, Nov 14, 2006
  14. doobydoobydo wrote:

    > I have also found the flood has stopped now I have rolled back to IE6.

    Can you *name* one or two of these viruses? What did your anti-virus
    program call it/them? Where on your hard drive did it find them?

    Methinks you are seeing something else...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 14, 2006
  15. flybywire

    doobydoobydo Guest

    It could be of course coincidence that it was after downloading IE7. Maybe
    the net is being bombarded at the mo'.
    C drive documents and settings on my user name, also in cookies and temp
    folder, program files

    Your site bar
    Trojan.Downloader.small.CML
    Trojan.popuper
    Purity Scan
    Media Tickets
    Instant Acess
    CamGirlsLive Toolbar
    CWS
    Trojan.Downloader.AEU
    CRCK_Rocket.B
    CRCK Typshark.A
    Winactive
    Virtumonde
    zlob
    wbemmess.log (don't know if that was a malware, had it written down but
    can't remember why.
    W32.LICUM
    smitfraud
    Trojan.wimad
    W32.IRCBot
    RazeSpyware
    Downloader
    Trojan.Dropper
    Adware.ISTBAR

    doobydoobydo, Nov 14, 2006
  16. doobydoobydo wrote:

    >> doobydoobydo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have also found the flood has stopped now I have rolled back to IE6.

    >> Can you *name* one or two of these viruses? What did your anti-virus
    >> program call it/them? Where on your hard drive did it find them?
    >>
    >> Methinks you are seeing something else...

    > It could be of course coincidence that it was after downloading IE7.
    > Maybe the net is being bombarded at the mo'. C drive documents and
    > settings on my user name, also in cookies and temp folder, program
    > files
    >
    > Your site bar
    > Trojan.Downloader.small.CML
    > Trojan.popuper
    > Purity Scan
    > Media Tickets
    > Instant Acess
    > CamGirlsLive Toolbar
    > CWS
    > Trojan.Downloader.AEU
    > CRCK_Rocket.B
    > CRCK Typshark.A
    > Winactive
    > Virtumonde
    > zlob
    > wbemmess.log (don't know if that was a malware, had it written down but
    > can't remember why.
    > W32.LICUM
    > smitfraud
    > Trojan.wimad
    > W32.IRCBot
    > RazeSpyware
    > Downloader
    > Trojan.Dropper
    > Adware.ISTBAR

    That is an impressive list.

    IE7 did not cause you to get all this crap. With that many infections, I
    don't know where to tell you to begin to clean your computer. Some of
    them are transmitted via email (and executing the attachments), others
    via malicious web sites you visit with an insecure browser, probably via
    ActiveX. That's IE.

    It might pay you to start over. Save personal data to external media.
    Reformat and reinstall your OS, and then do not use Internet Explorer
    for anything except Windows Updates. Is your version of Windows
    completely up to date with all patches?

    Has your computer been running slow?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 14, 2006
  17. flybywire

    doobydoobydo Guest

    > That is an impressive list.
    >
    > IE7 did not cause you to get all this crap. With that many infections, I
    > don't know where to tell you to begin to clean your computer. Some of
    > them are transmitted via email (and executing the attachments), others
    > via malicious web sites you visit with an insecure browser, probably via
    > ActiveX. That's IE.
    >
    > It might pay you to start over. Save personal data to external media.
    > Reformat and reinstall your OS, and then do not use Internet Explorer
    > for anything except Windows Updates. Is your version of Windows
    > completely up to date with all patches?
    >
    > Has your computer been running slow?

    Yes really really slow. Yes up to date windows. But, Thanks I have cleaned
    most of it up. Took hours and lots of trail downloads of different anti
    spy/virus/malware as well as safemode and all that jazz and running the
    ones already had, along with hijack this, which I posted twice on 'tom
    coyote' site but no one has got back to me on that. All that pops up now
    and then is Virtuemonde and W32.LICUM the latter being so familiar I just
    clean it with Norton.

    One odd thing though is that my Norton was about to run out of subs in a
    couple of days and it updated itself till next August, strange I didn't tell
    it to or pay for it. I do have BTyahoo though and they give Norton free
    (Which they started doing after I had bought it). But its not Norton
    supplied by BTyahoo, as I have it on my laptop, and it has a different
    look to it (probably a 2006 version). You have the option to install the
    BT one or not.

    I would like to try IE7 but haven't the confidence in it now as I have read
    lots of peeps on newsgroups and forums saying their computers are running
    slow.
    doobydoobydo, Nov 14, 2006
  18. flybywire

    flybywire Guest

    stick to ie 6 for a while till 7 has been sorted

    also didn't like the laborious window for saving to favs

    flybywire, Nov 15, 2006
  19. flybywire

    nobody > Guest

    flybywire wrote:
    > not true
    >
    > I have za pro plus ca virus pro plus anti spy
    >
    > the spawning viruses flooded in with ie7 , never had such a prob with ie 6
    > and indeed now I have gone back the flood has stopped
    >
    > zapro picked several and killed plus antispy worked well
    >
    > perhaps ms have attached bugs to test our protection !

    There are reports of sites offering IE7 preloaded with malware.

    http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44801

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/18/hack_site_spoofs_ie7_download/
    nobody >, Nov 15, 2006
  20. flybywire

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>, pcbutts1
    @seedsv.com says...
    > Post you HJT log here to this group.

    Don't post your HiJack logs here, read the directions for HiJack and
    post your logs on one of the approved forums.

    > Then run Spyerase. Read this

    Ask yourself if you really want to trust the advice and files provided
    by a person that has all of their posts deleted, hides by 20+ different
    identities, and has foul content on their website that they post links
    too in Usenet.

    Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
    of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
    or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
    direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
    place to download their application.

    No person of sound mind would download files from a hack site that
    requires a password to access the unknown files when they are available
    directly from the vendors.

    Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

    The following links will take you to vendors sites for Spy Ware / Ad
    ware removal tools and also for Antivirus tools. After you install any
    of these applications and update them, run them in SAFE MODE to allow
    them to properly clean your system.

    First, make sure that your Java is updated to the latest version:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

    These sites are for downloading Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware tools, in
    order that I would use them myself:

    Dave Lipman's tools:
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Secured2K's AntiPauper (download link/info at)
    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=65072

    Rogue Fix - This removal tool is the property of Internet Inspiration
    http://www.internetinspiration.co.uk/roguefix.htm

    AdAwareSE can be found here:
    http://www.lavasoft.com/download_and_buy/detection_database/

    SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

    HiJack can be found here:

    Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
    http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Nov 15, 2006