    Has anybody actually tried this yet? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but
    I just don't want to be the first to report whether you actually can or not.
    :eek:)
    Homer J. Simpson, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Homer J. Simpson

    NLJ Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:19:03 -0400, Homer J. Simpson wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I realize that IE7 is an update to IE6, and thus as with every previous
    > version, you can't install and run them side-by-side.
    >
    > XP (and 2003) x64 however is a unique beast, as it ships with both the x86
    > and x64 versions running independantly. I would think one should be able to
    > update, say, IE6 x86 to IE7, but keep IE6 x64.
    >
    > Has anybody actually tried this yet? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but
    > I just don't want to be the first to report whether you actually can or not.
    > :eek:)

    Nope, ive just install IE 7 and both IE's are 7.

    NLJ
    NLJ, Oct 19, 2006

  3. > Nope, ive just install IE 7 and both IE's are 7.

    So, you've installed one version of IE7 (which?), and both have been updated
    automatically??
    Homer J. Simpson, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Homer J. Simpson

    John Barnes Guest

    If you feel adventurous, you could always copy and rename the current IE6
    folder in either Program Files or Program Files (86) and after the install,
    replace it (after making a copy) and see what happens. You can always put
    it back.

    John Barnes, Oct 19, 2006
  5. > If you feel adventurous, you could always copy and rename the current IE6
    > folder in either Program Files or Program Files (86) and after the
    > install, replace it (after making a copy) and see what happens. You can
    > always put it back.

    I would think that there are more files being replaced during the update
    process than just whatever's under the IE folder under Program Files /
    Program Files (x86)
    Homer J. Simpson, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Homer J. Simpson

    NLJ Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:43:14 -0400, Homer J. Simpson wrote:

    >> Nope, ive just install IE 7 and both IE's are 7.

    > So, you've installed one version of IE7 (which?), and both have been updated
    > automatically??

    Jep, package was for x64.

    NLJ
    NLJ, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Homer J. Simpson

    John Barnes Guest

    Of course, but do they matter. I don't have IE6 installed or I would try.
    Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to find out. I personally love
    IE7 and don't use IE64 at all. When it is launched by some program I just
    copy the address into an IE32 and cancel it.

    John Barnes, Oct 19, 2006
  8. > Of course, but do they matter.

    I would think they do. If you install IE7 and then revert back to the
    original "c:\program files (x86)\internet explorer" folder (from IE6), I
    wouldn't be surprised at all if something broke.

    > I don't have IE6 installed or I would try. Shouldn't take more than a
    > couple of minutes to find out. I personally love IE7 and don't use IE64
    > at all. When it is launched by some program I just copy the address into
    > an IE32 and cancel it.

    It's not really a matter of preference; I started this thread as an "is it
    doable" question...if I can run, say, IE6 32-bit and IE7 64-bit side-by-side
    on one machine, then that's one less VM I have to keep around for testing.
    Homer J. Simpson, Oct 19, 2006
  9. >>> Nope, ive just install IE 7 and both IE's are 7.

    >> So, you've installed one version of IE7 (which?), and both have been
    >> updated
    >> automatically??

    > Jep, package was for x64.

    ....which then begs the question, what happens if you run the x86 installer.
    I think I'm gonna have to take the time to install XP x64 in a VM to find
    out.
    Homer J. Simpson, Oct 19, 2006
  10. Homer J. Simpson

    John Barnes Guest

    Then it's not possible unless you can modify the installer. Both are
    updated by the IE7 executable.

    John Barnes, Oct 19, 2006
  11. What sort of vm do you plan to install XP x64 into? Not a Microsoft one,
    that's for sure. VPC and VS do not support x64 guests.

    >>> So, you've installed one version of IE7 (which?), and both have been
    >>> updated
    >>> automatically??

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 20, 2006
  12. Homer J. Simpson

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    VMware supports x64 guests just fine.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 20, 2006
  13. > What sort of vm do you plan to install XP x64 into? Not a Microsoft one,
    > that's for sure. VPC and VS do not support x64 guests.

    The VMware sort, thank you very much.
    Homer J. Simpson, Oct 20, 2006
  14. It would still be a violation of the EULA since all copies of XP Pro x64 are
    OEM. According to Ben Armstrong (MSFT) there is no such thing as a legally
    licensed OEM vm.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 23, 2006
  15. Note: MSDN copies of x64 are not OEM but are also not licensed for personal
    or productivity usage either.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 23, 2006
  16. > It would still be a violation of the EULA since all copies of XP Pro x64
    > are OEM. According to Ben Armstrong (MSFT) there is no such thing as a
    > legally licensed OEM vm.

    The whole reason I brought VMs into this discussion was to find out whether
    you could run IE7's x86 installer on XP 64-bit to only update its built-in
    32-bit IE6 instead of trying it on my 'real' machine. Not to keep using it
    perpetually.

    If MS thinks I'm gonna try *that* on my only x64 machine outside a VM, they
    can bite my shiny metal ass.
    Homer J. Simpson, Oct 23, 2006
  17. Chomp! :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 23, 2006