IE7 Beta 2 Preview Available for download

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nathan Mercer, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Nathan Mercer, Jan 31, 2006

  2. Nathan  Mercer

    JC Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > IE7 Beta2 preview is now available for download from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/
    >
    > This beta2 release is primarily for Devs and ITPros (application
    > compatibility and website compat testing)
    >
    > See the IE website for an IT Pro checklist
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/itprochecklist.mspx
    >
    > The IE blog has more details
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Firefox, Opera, Flock..... need I say more.

    JC, Jan 31, 2006

  3. Nathan  Mercer

    jedmeister Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > IE7 Beta2 preview is now available for download from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/
    >
    > This beta2 release is primarily for Devs and ITPros (application
    > compatibility and website compat testing)
    >
    > See the IE website for an IT Pro checklist
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/itprochecklist.mspx
    >
    > The IE blog has more details
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Tried it, but the page scrolling runs a little sluggishly on my PC.

    So, I have uninstalled and will wait for the final version. Looks quite
    good though.

    jedmeister, Jan 31, 2006
  4. Nathan  Mercer

    Peter S Guest

    > IE7 Beta2 preview is now available for download from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/
    >
    > This beta2 release is primarily for Devs and ITPros (application
    > compatibility and website compat testing)
    >
    > See the IE website for an IT Pro checklist
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/itprochecklist.mspx
    >
    > The IE blog has more details
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Works well for me..

    I'm not a great fan of the toolbar graphics - its out of style with Windows
    XP (although I suspect not out of style with Vista)

    I would have thought that Shift-clicking a link would open a new tab rather
    than a new browser instance.

    I won't be uninstalling it though - its a great improvement, probably worth
    keeping for the security stuff I've read that it implements and I've only
    found one web page that doesn't render correctly in it.

    Pete.

    Peter S, Jan 31, 2006
  5. Peter S wrote:
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > > IE7 Beta2 preview is now available for download from
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/
    > >
    > > This beta2 release is primarily for Devs and ITPros (application
    > > compatibility and website compat testing)
    > >
    > > See the IE website for an IT Pro checklist
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/itprochecklist.mspx
    > >
    > > The IE blog has more details
    > > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/01/31/520812.aspx
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Nathan
    > >

    > Works well for me..
    >
    > I'm not a great fan of the toolbar graphics - its out of style with Windows
    > XP (although I suspect not out of style with Vista)
    >
    > I would have thought that Shift-clicking a link would open a new tab rather
    > than a new browser instance.

    Shift click has always done that in IE
    To open in a new tab you can do control-click

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 1, 2006
  6. Nathan  Mercer

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > IE7 Beta2 preview is now available for download from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/
    >
    > This beta2 release is primarily for Devs and ITPros (application
    > compatibility and website compat testing)
    >
    > See the IE website for an IT Pro checklist
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/itprochecklist.mspx
    >
    > The IE blog has more details
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Will it work on 98SE ?

    Craig Sutton, Feb 1, 2006
  7. Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > > IE7 Beta2 preview is now available for download from
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/
    > >
    > > This beta2 release is primarily for Devs and ITPros (application
    > > compatibility and website compat testing)
    > >
    > > See the IE website for an IT Pro checklist
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/itprochecklist.mspx
    > >
    > > The IE blog has more details
    > > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/01/31/520812.aspx
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Nathan
    > >

    > Will it work on 98SE ?

    No.

    Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview will only run on Windows® XP
    Service Pack 2 (SP2) systems, but will ultimately be available for
    Windows Vista, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, and Windows Server
    2003.

    Additionally, this preview is x86 only, x64 will be available in a
    future build.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 1, 2006
  8. Nathan  Mercer

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:52:15 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >> IE7 Beta2 preview is now available for download from
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/
    >>
    >> This beta2 release is primarily for Devs and ITPros (application
    >> compatibility and website compat testing)
    >>
    >> See the IE website for an IT Pro checklist
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/itprochecklist.mspx
    >>
    >> The IE blog has more details
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Nathan
    >>

    > Will it work on 98SE ?

    To Quote MS

    Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview will only run on Windows® XP Service
    Pack 2 (SP2) systems, but will ultimately be available for Windows Vista,
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, and Windows Server 2003.

    To stop quoting MS

    Gordon, Feb 1, 2006
  9. Nathan  Mercer

    Peter S Guest

    There are a few more bugs.. I have problems on a dialup connection with
    applications saying that they cannot detect the internet connection. If I
    click 'Try again' when it says 'Would you like to work Offline?' then it is
    all OK.

    And Qantas detects the browser as Netscape 6, and does not allow reward
    flight bookings to go through, suggesting I upgrade!!

    Pete.

    Peter S, Feb 1, 2006
  10. Nathan  Mercer

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Peter S wrote:
    >> I would have thought that Shift-clicking a link would open a new tab
    >> rather than a new browser instance.

    > Shift click has always done that in IE
    > To open in a new tab you can do control-click

    Or middle-click with the mouse as I prefer to do.

    Nik Coughlin, Feb 2, 2006
  11. Nathan  Mercer

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >> Peter S wrote:
    >>> I would have thought that Shift-clicking a link would open a new tab
    >>> rather than a new browser instance.

    >> Shift click has always done that in IE
    >> To open in a new tab you can do control-click

    > Or middle-click with the mouse as I prefer to do.

    Same as Firefox huh? MS trailing the field again.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 2, 2006
  12. Nathan  Mercer

    Mutlley Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Shift click has always done that in IE
    >>> To open in a new tab you can do control-click

    >> Or middle-click with the mouse as I prefer to do.

    >Same as Firefox huh? MS trailing the field again.

    And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
    software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

    Mutlley, Feb 2, 2006
  13. Nathan  Mercer

    Rob J Guest

    Rob J, Feb 5, 2006
  14. Nathan  Mercer

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, mutley2000
    @hotmail.com says...
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > >> Or middle-click with the mouse as I prefer to do.

    > >Same as Firefox huh? MS trailing the field again.

    > And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
    > software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

    Are you a software thief?

    Rob J, Feb 5, 2006
  15. Nathan  Mercer

    shannon Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <>, mutley2000
    > @hotmail.com says...

    >>> Same as Firefox huh? MS trailing the field again.

    >> And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
    >> software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

    > Are you a software thief?

    Are you ?

    shannon, Feb 5, 2006
  16. Nathan  Mercer

    Mutley Guest

    Rob J <> wrote:

    >In article <>, mutley2000
    >@hotmail.com says...

    >> >Same as Firefox huh? MS trailing the field again.

    >> And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
    >> software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

    >Are you a software thief?

    What company in their rite mind would want you to validate your OS to
    try a beta that could very well trash your OS. Also who would want to
    install this software on a PC who's operating criteria is Win XP
    SP2?? What about the users of XP with SP1 installed and Win2K
    users?? Guess we will stick with real browsers like Firefox and
    Opera..

    Mutley, Feb 6, 2006
  17. Nathan  Mercer

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    VEcom says...
    > Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, mutley2000
    > >@hotmail.com says...

    > >> And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
    > >> software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

    > >Are you a software thief?
    > >

    > What company in their rite mind would want you to validate your OS to
    > try a beta that could very well trash your OS.

    Lots of MS stuff requires validation these days, get used to it.

    The only people who are likely to have a problem with validation are
    running pirated copies of Windows.

    > Also who would want to
    > install this software on a PC who's operating criteria is Win XP
    > SP2??

    Everyone who keeps up with updates to Windows XP.

    > What about the users of XP with SP1 installed

    Why would anyone run SP1 when SP2 is available and dependable?

    Rob J, Feb 6, 2006
  18. Nathan  Mercer

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > IE7 Beta2 preview is now available for download from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/
    >
    > This beta2 release is primarily for Devs and ITPros (application
    > compatibility and website compat testing)
    >
    > See the IE website for an IT Pro checklist
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/itprochecklist.mspx
    >
    > The IE blog has more details

    If you tell it not to go to a new tab this works if you open the tab
    manually
    But if a site opens a popup or you click on a link that opens a new
    window that is opened as a tab it does go to that tab.

    Rob J, Feb 6, 2006
  19. "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, mutley2000
    >>@hotmail.com says...

    >>> And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
    >>> software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

    >>Are you a software thief?
    >>

    > What company in their rite mind would want you to validate your OS to
    > try a beta that could very well trash your OS. Also who would want to
    > install this software on a PC who's operating criteria is Win XP
    > SP2?? What about the users of XP with SP1 installed and Win2K
    > users?? Guess we will stick with real browsers like Firefox and
    > Opera..

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 shipped almost 18 months ago and you would be
    hard-pressed to find a reputable commentator who recommends not installing
    it. In that time it has become the most rapidly-adopted SP in Microsoft's
    history and NZ has one of the highest adoption levels worldwide.

    As for Windows 2000, I suspect that the majority of users who haven't
    upgraded to the latest version of the OS (i.e. Windows XP) probably aren't
    hell-bent on getting their hands on the latest version of Internet Explorer
    either. Even the Mozilla folks "recommend" Windows XP over other Windows
    variants for Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/system-requirements and
    while Firefox will run on Windows 2000 what's the story for users who aren't
    on Max OS X yet ? Or those who want to run a Linux kernel older than 2.2.14
    ? No software is infinitely backward-compatible (although it can be if
    you're willing to throw infinite amounts of money and/or time at it)

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Feb 6, 2006