IE6 Window Opens Really Small

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, this is very annoying. When I open a new window in IE6, via right-click,
    it opens very small, only one inch high! This does not happen when I use
    "File" > "New" > "Window". I tried Mike's advice:

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    > Courtesy of °Mike°
    >
    > Open one instance of IE and then open a new window. Close the original
    > window. In the address box of the new window type the following (where
    > XXX,XXX is your screen resolution) and press ENTER
    > (Example: 640,480 <- separated by a comma)
    >
    > javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(XXX,XXX)
    >
    > Hold the CTRL button and close the window (top right button).

    But this does NOT work, even though I have tried repeatedly and restarted. I
    think it might have been working one time, but then I took the original
    browser window and entered:

    javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)

    then I clicked "enter" and closed it while holding "control".

    From that point on, all my new right-click windows open very small no matter
    what I try to do to fix this.

    Does anyone know how to fix this?

    Thanks!

    Julie P., Jun 16, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:59:56 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >Hi, this is very annoying. When I open a new window in IE6, via right-click,
    >it opens very small, only one inch high! This does not happen when I use
    >"File" > "New" > "Window". I tried Mike's advice:

    <snip>

    >But this does NOT work,

    Yes, it does, assuming you followed the instructions
    TO THE LETTER. Here are my ACTUAL words:

    Close all instances of Internet Explorer except one. Open a new
    window, and close the original. Type (case sensitive) the
    following into the address bar (where XXX,XXX is your screen
    resolution), and press ENTER:

    javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(XXX,XXX)

    When the new window re-sizes, hold the CTRL key and close the
    window. New windows should now open at full size, with everything
    visible.

    Example, if your screen is set at 800 x 600:

    javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)

    > even though I have tried repeatedly and restarted. I think it might
    >have been working one time, but then I took the original browser
    >window and entered:
    >
    >javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)

    There you go, you see, you DIDN'T follow the instructions
    TO THE LETTER. Re-read MY instructions above, paying
    particular attention to "Open a new window, AND CLOSE
    THE ORIGINAL".

    >then I clicked "enter" and closed it while holding "control".
    >
    >From that point on, all my new right-click windows open very small no matter
    >what I try to do to fix this.
    >
    >Does anyone know how to fix this?

    Yes, pay attention to instructions.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 16, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > There you go, you see, you DIDN'T follow the instructions
    > TO THE LETTER. Re-read MY instructions above, paying
    > particular attention to "Open a new window, AND CLOSE
    > THE ORIGINAL".

    Ok, I feel stupid! I had been forgetting all this time to close the original
    window first. Duh. Yes, I just did it and restarted, and now all is fine!
    Thank you. I have used this advice a lot over the past year (I have been
    grateful that you posted it, as it is a common problem with IE), and I
    thought I had it memorized, but I guess not. Well, at least it's fixed now!

    J.

    Julie P., Jun 16, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:34:54 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> There you go, you see, you DIDN'T follow the instructions
    >> TO THE LETTER. Re-read MY instructions above, paying
    >> particular attention to "Open a new window, AND CLOSE
    >> THE ORIGINAL".
    >>

    >Ok, I feel stupid! I had been forgetting all this time to close the original
    >window first. Duh. Yes, I just did it and restarted, and now all is fine!
    >Thank you. I have used this advice a lot over the past year (I have been
    >grateful that you posted it, as it is a common problem with IE), and I
    >thought I had it memorized, but I guess not. Well, at least it's fixed now!

    You have to work on that attention span. ;o)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 16, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    Linda Guest

    Put your claws away.

    Linda, Jun 16, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    Boomer Guest

    "Linda" <> wrote:

    > Put your claws away.
    >
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Julie P. scrawled:

    [snip]

    >> >Does anyone know how to fix this?

    >> Yes, pay attention to instructions.

    [snip]

    What claws?

    Do you know how to snip BTW?

    Boomer, Jun 16, 2004
  7. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jun 16, 2004
  8. Julie P.

    JD Guest

    I know why it didn't work for her. It didn't work for me at first either.
    The "Open a new window, and close the original" instruction must be done by
    right clicking on a link and "Open link in new window". If you open a new
    window by any other method it will not work. It won't resize your window to
    "full screen" mode but better than before.

    Sucks how MS made IE so difficult to use. If only they borrowed some ideas
    from Netscape they would have everyone converted (ie. bookmarking system,
    open link in new window, etc.)

    JD, Jun 16, 2004
  9. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    No, it didn't work for her because she used the original
    window. Read the whole thread.

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:38:29 GMT, in
    <FVRzc.60$>
    JD scrawled:

    >I know why it didn't work for her. It didn't work for me at first either.
    >The "Open a new window, and close the original" instruction must be done by
    >right clicking on a link and "Open link in new window". If you open a new
    >window by any other method it will not work. It won't resize your window to
    >"full screen" mode but better than before.
    >
    >Sucks how MS made IE so difficult to use. If only they borrowed some ideas
    >from Netscape they would have everyone converted (ie. bookmarking system,
    >open link in new window, etc.)

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 16, 2004
  10. Julie P.

    ToroGuns

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Here are my ACTUAL words:

    Close all instances of Internet Explorer except one. Open a new
    window, and close the original. Type (case sensitive) the
    following into the address bar (where XXX,XXX is your screen
    resolution), and press ENTER:

    javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(XXX,XXX)

    When the new window re-sizes, hold the CTRL key and close the
    window. New windows should now open at full size, with everything
    visible.

    Example, if your screen is set at 800 x 600:

    javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)

    Although this is 3 years later, and I hope you're still around Mike, I would like to thank you for this simple yet elegant fix. Found this via a Google search.

    Worked like a charm!

    Thanks again, a Yank newbie

    ToroGuns, Jun 5, 2007