    with Windows XP. This software will not be installed. Contact your system
    admin."

    This software is straight from the MS website - what gives?

    JoeF, May 11, 2004

  2. JoeF

    Thor Guest

    Try renaming the c:\windows\system32\catroot2 folder temporarily, then try
    running IE setup again.

    "JoeF" <> wrote in message
    > I initially could not install IE6 because it kept telling me there was a
    > newer version of IE on my computer and therefore unable to install this
    > version. I got past that by editing the registry, but now after

    downloading

    Thor, May 11, 2004

  3. JoeF

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "JoeF" <> wrote in

    > I initially could not install IE6 because it kept telling me there was
    > a newer version of IE on my computer and therefore unable to install
    > this version. I got past that by editing the registry, but now after
    > downloading the files, I get about 2% installed and then " The
    > software you are installing has not passed Windows LOGO testing to
    > verify its compatability with Windows XP. This software will not be
    > installed. Contact your system admin."
    >
    > This software is straight from the MS website - what gives?

    *The software you are installing has not passed Windows LOGO testing to
    verify its compatability with Windows XP.*

    Google is your friend. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 11, 2004
  4. JoeF

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I've recently installed XP and when I go to hot mail web site and login it's
    asking me to install IE 6 but I already have it on my computer, so I tried
    installing it of a disk and it says I have a newer version already on my
    computer. Any one else had this problem?

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 12, 2004
  5. JoeF

    Thor Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've recently installed XP and when I go to hot mail web site and login

    it's
    > asking me to install IE 6 but I already have it on my computer, so I tried
    > installing it of a disk and it says I have a newer version already on my
    > computer. Any one else had this problem?
    >
    > LJ

    Lloyed, if you installed WindowsXP SP1 then you already have the latest
    version of IE6 (SP1). You can check by opening Internet Explorer, and click
    "help" and "about internet explorer". Under the section called "update
    versions" look for "SP1". If you installed XP as an upgrade, then perhaps
    something didn't go very well, and there are some problems. Try opening a
    command prompt window, and typing

    sfc /scannow

    then press enter, and have your WInXP CD in the drive. It will scan for
    deleted or corrupted system files, and replace them as necessary. If that
    doesn't work, you can try this KB article on how to re-install IE6 on
    windows XP. But make sure you use the latest version of IE. What you have
    sitting on some disc may not be IE6 SP1. It may be the first IE6.0

    ----

    MSKB article 318378

    To reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, use either of
    the following methods while you are logged on as an administrator.
    Method 1: Reinstall or Repair Windows XP
    To repair or reinstall Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP,
    complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an
    administrator:
    1.. Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on
    your computer:
    1.. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2.. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

    Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service
    Pack 1 installation media.
    2.. Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved,
    skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next
    step.
    3.. Complete an in-place upgrade of Windows XP, a repair of Windows XP, or
    reinstall Windows XP. For additional information about how to complete an
    in-place upgrade or repair of Windows XP, click the article number below to
    view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    315341 How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP

    4.. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows
    Update Web site:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Method 2: Edit the Registry and Install Internet Explorer 6
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
    problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
    Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may
    receive the following error message:

    Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on
    this system.
    Setup cannot continue.
    To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet
    Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:
    1.. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then
    click Run.
    2.. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3.. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled
    (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

    To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP,
    use the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

    To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following
    registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

    4.. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
    5.. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.
    6.. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows
    Update Web site:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows
    XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility
    in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it
    possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to
    Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully
    functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system
    functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an
    "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has
    been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove
    Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer.

    Thor, May 12, 2004
  6. JoeF

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

> [...]

    > Windows
    > Update Web site:
    > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    >
    > By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of
    > Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers
    > more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP,
    > Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to
    > remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet
    > Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the
    > functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on
    > it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the
    > Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the
    > Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool
    > in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer.

    I wonder what the deal is here on this IE issue. This is the second post
    where someone is trying to replace the latest verion of IE that came with
    the XP install.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 12, 2004