IE6 Strange Behaviour

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by whoa, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. whoa

    whoa Guest

    On a PC with Win XP, and multiple user accounts, IE6 works fine on my
    (administrator) account. But on other (limited) accounts, some web pages
    don't work. For example, on Google, the "Google Search" and "I'm Feeling
    Lucky" buttons change colour, on mouse over or click, but do nothing else.
    Neither do the page tabs for Images, Groups, Directory or News.
    I've changed the limited accounts to administrator, no change in behaviour.
    I've created a new administrator account, same thing, the buttons don't
    work.
    The links on the right hand side for Advanced Search, Preferences, Language
    Tools don't work, but the links on the bottom line Advertise with us, etc
    all do.

    If I start Google from another link, e.g from NZCity's Search box, all seems
    fine. Same if I use the Search button within IE6 to bring up Google as the
    default search engine, all seems OK.
    I've tried clearing caches, temp pages, etc, but no luck.
    And ICQ shows similar behaviour on another account.

    Any suggestions on how to make IE6 (and ICQ) work correctly on all accounts?

    (Answers involving Linux are welcome, but not helpful, in replacing this
    problem with many others. )

    whoa, Jul 12, 2003

  2. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:21:37 +1200, whoa <> wrote:

    >On a PC with Win XP, and multiple user accounts, IE6 works fine on my
    >(administrator) account. But on other (limited) accounts, some web pages
    >don't work.

    Look on Google for an app called BHODemon and run it, there could be a
    possibility that a Browser Helper Object (BHO) has linked itself with
    IE and is causing IE to do weird things. There's a few good BHO's out
    there - The Acrobat PDF Helper and the Norton ScriptBlocker Helper,
    but most others are just ad-ware and other crap.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jul 12, 2003

  3. whoa

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:21:37 +1200, whoa <> wrote:

    >On a PC with Win XP, and multiple user accounts, IE6 works fine on my
    >(administrator) account. But on other (limited) accounts, some web pages
    >don't work. For example, on Google, the "Google Search" and "I'm Feeling
    >Lucky" buttons change colour, on mouse over or click, but do nothing else.
    >Neither do the page tabs for Images, Groups, Directory or News.
    >I've changed the limited accounts to administrator, no change in behaviour.
    >I've created a new administrator account, same thing, the buttons don't
    >work.
    >The links on the right hand side for Advanced Search, Preferences, Language
    >Tools don't work, but the links on the bottom line Advertise with us, etc
    >all do.
    >
    >If I start Google from another link, e.g from NZCity's Search box, all seems
    >fine. Same if I use the Search button within IE6 to bring up Google as the
    >default search engine, all seems OK.
    >I've tried clearing caches, temp pages, etc, but no luck.
    >And ICQ shows similar behaviour on another account.
    >
    >Any suggestions on how to make IE6 (and ICQ) work correctly on all accounts?
    >
    >(Answers involving Linux are welcome, but not helpful, in replacing this
    >problem with many others. )

    Firstly, do not replace your operating system with Linux. IE does not
    run too well on Linux.

    Secondly, look at the bottom right of the IE screen, and see what
    zones you are in. The zones are Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted
    Sites and Restricted Sites. If they are in a different zone, the
    options may have been changed somehow.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 12, 2003
  4. whoa

    whoa Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:40:52 +1200, "Kristofer Clayton" <>
    said

    >On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:21:37 +1200, whoa <> wrote:
    >
    >>On a PC with Win XP, and multiple user accounts, IE6 works fine on my
    >>(administrator) account. But on other (limited) accounts, some web pages
    >>don't work.

    >Look on Google for an app called BHODemon and run it, there could be a
    >possibility that a Browser Helper Object (BHO) has linked itself with
    >IE and is causing IE to do weird things. There's a few good BHO's out
    >there - The Acrobat PDF Helper and the Norton ScriptBlocker Helper,
    >but most others are just ad-ware and other crap.

    Yes, that's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    A BHO for StarDownloader caused the problem. Turning it off solved the
    issue. The others don't use Star, and I haven't investigated all the
    ramifications, but I do have some happier families!

    Thanks for the tip. I didn't know BHO's even existed.

    whoa, Jul 13, 2003