IE6 My Computer in history trail?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Boomer, May 19, 2004.

  1. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    "Julie Carrigon" <> wrote:

    > I think this has only been happening recently. IE6 is putting a
    > My Computer folder in my browser history trail and it's listing
    > all the files I open on my pc. I can't figure out how to stop IE6
    > from doing a My Computer folder in the history. Can anyone help
    > me turn off that feature, just for the My Computer stuff? I want
    > to keep the regular web history going. I've run a bunch of
    > Spyware Removal programs, Adaware, Spybot, and Spy Sweeper and
    > they are not detecting anything that would do this. Also ran two
    > virus scans, Norton and Panda. My OS is XP Home. Any help would
    > be appreciated. Thanks.

    Hello,

    Sorry I can't help with your IE problems. I won't use it.

    But could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?
    You are posting from the future.

    For Windows :
    1. Double click the time in the lower right corner of the system tray.
    2. In the dialog box that pops up select the *Time Zone* tab.
    3. Use the drop down menu to select the correct entry for "your" TIME
    ZONE.
    Check "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes
    4. Also, Check the box marked Daylight Savings Time.
    5. Then click OK to save it.

    ~Further information at the site below.~
    http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html

    Thank You Very Much :)

    P.S. It does not matter if you are living on the far side of the moon.
    Your computer clock/date/time zone is incorrect.

    Julie Carrigon, May 19, 2004

  3. Boomer

    °Mike° Guest

    Is it an *actual* folder that's being placed in your
    History folder; what do you mean by "history trail"?

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:12:52 -0500, in
    <>
    Julie Carrigon scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 19, 2004
  4. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Is it an *actual* folder that's being placed in your
    > History folder; what do you mean by "history trail"?

    When I click on history when I'm browsing the web, I find a folder in
    history listing everything I've been doing on my pc. That's what's
    happening. Someone just suggested it could be a feature got turned on to
    view everything on the pc in a webpage? I don't think I did that, but if it
    got turned on, how do I turn that off?

    --
    Carrigon

    Julie Carrigon, May 19, 2004
  5. Boomer

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 06:45:29 -0500, in
    <>
    Julie Carrigon scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it an *actual* folder that's being placed in your
    >> History folder; what do you mean by "history trail"?
    >>

    >When I click on history when I'm browsing the web, I find a folder in
    >history listing everything I've been doing on my pc. That's what's
    >happening. Someone just suggested it could be a feature got turned on to
    >view everything on the pc in a webpage? I don't think I did that, but if it
    >got turned on, how do I turn that off?

    I still can't make sense of what you are saying. The History
    folder is *supposed* to log your browsing history. Are you
    saying that your history folder is displaying your 'Recent Documents'
    contents? Have you tried cleaning out your History folder,
    and does it still show these "trails" when you do so?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 19, 2004
  6. Boomer

    Rifleman Guest

    "Julie Carrigon" <> wrote in message
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Okay, you know when you click on history and it opens the little side

    panel
    > on the left in the browser? And you can then see where you've been. It's
    > also adding a My Computer listing. And inside that, it is showing every
    > single file and program I'm opening on my pc. I don't believe it was

    doing
    > this prior to my getting a trojan last week. The trojan was called Jeem

    or
    > something like that. I'm pretty sure I removed it, but this one thing

    with
    > the history is messed up. The reason I'm freaking out over it is because

    it
    > is a potential security threat. If I go to a website where a hacker can
    > access my history, they will then get a full listing of every file I've
    > opened on my pc.

    I think you are being VERY paranoid. Two things - IE6 has always (to my
    knowledge) included local browsed files in History. Certainly SP1 has, and
    certainly on Windows XP. Secondly, have you not got a decent firewall up and
    running? Why would a hacker want to see what files you have been opening on
    your PC anyway?

    Rifleman, May 20, 2004
  7. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > I still can't make sense of what you are saying. The History
    > folder is *supposed* to log your browsing history. Are you
    > saying that your history folder is displaying your 'Recent Documents'
    > contents? Have you tried cleaning out your History folder,
    > and does it still show these "trails" when you do so?
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Okay, you know when you click on history and it opens the little side panel
    on the left in the browser? And you can then see where you've been. It's
    also adding a My Computer listing. And inside that, it is showing every
    single file and program I'm opening on my pc. I don't believe it was doing
    this prior to my getting a trojan last week. The trojan was called Jeem or
    something like that. I'm pretty sure I removed it, but this one thing with
    the history is messed up. The reason I'm freaking out over it is because it
    is a potential security threat. If I go to a website where a hacker can
    access my history, they will then get a full listing of every file I've
    opened on my pc. It's really bothering me. I want it stopped. I don't
    know how to make IE6 stop adding a My Computer listing in the history. Is
    it some setting I'm missing?
    --
    Carrigon

    Julie Carrigon, May 20, 2004
  8. "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > I think you are being VERY paranoid. Two things - IE6 has always (to my
    > knowledge) included local browsed files in History. Certainly SP1 has, and
    > certainly on Windows XP. Secondly, have you not got a decent firewall up

    and
    > running? Why would a hacker want to see what files you have been opening

    on
    > your PC anyway?

    You can never been too paranoid on the net these days. And I can think of
    lots of reasons a hacker would want to know exactly what's on someone's
    drive. There are alot of malicious code writers out there.
    --
    Carrigon

    Julie Carrigon, May 20, 2004
  9. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    "reid decker" <> wrote:

    > Since you have XP, you might try

    You might try fixing your clock!

    Boomer, May 24, 2004
  10. Boomer

    reid decker Guest

    Since you have XP, you might try System Restore. Set a Restore Point
    back a month or so.

    reid decker, May 24, 2004