    everything I can find that might be opening it but nothing works. Any
    ideas? I'm unfamiliar with winxp since all our system PCs still use
    win 98.
    Alan G, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Alan G

    Harrison Guest

    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
    Hijackthis! http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

    Harrison, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Alan G

    K. Grass Guest

    Hey Alan,

    Are you running a firewall? Installed a spyware removal tool such as Spybot
    Search & Destroy at http://www.safer-networking.org/.

    Additionally, as of January 16, 2004 Microsoft no longer supports Windows 98
    so it would behoove you to remove those workstations from your network. At
    the very least Alan, deny them Internet access until you have upgraded else
    you leave your network vulnerable to intrusion.

    K. Grass, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Alan G

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:13:58 +0000, Alan G <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:03:41 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >
    >>Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    >HAven't tried adaware
    >
    >>Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/

    >Tried it and regcleaner too.
    >

    >>Hijackthis! http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    >>

    >Haven't tried that
    >
    >Still driving me barmy

    Hijackthis should find the cause.
    Post your log file here if you can't figure it out yourself.

    Harrison, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Alan G

    Alan G Guest

    Alan G, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Alan G

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:13:58 +0000, Alan G <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:03:41 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >
    >>Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    >HAven't tried adaware
    >
    >>Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/

    >Tried it and regcleaner too.
    >

    >>Hijackthis! http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    >>

    >Haven't tried that
    >
    >Still driving me barmy

    Also, make sure the Messenger Service is disabled.

    Harrison, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Alan G

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Yes they do. They have extended the support for 98 for a few more years.

    pcbutts1, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Alan G

    Alan G Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:11:10 -0500, "K. Grass" <>
    wrote:

    >Hey Alan,
    >
    >Are you running a firewall? Installed a spyware removal tool such as Spybot
    >Search & Destroy at http://www.safer-networking.org/.

    Got one on the router

    >Additionally, as of January 16, 2004 Microsoft no longer supports Windows 98

    Microsoft are continuing to support win 98

    >so it would behoove you to remove those workstations from your network. At
    >the very least Alan, deny them Internet access until you have upgraded else
    >you leave your network vulnerable to intrusion.

    We run 30 win 98 machines. If I disconnected them from the net 30
    people would be out of work. Not really a viable course of action.

    Alan G, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Alan G

    Alan G Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:12:45 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:13:58 +0000, Alan G <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:03:41 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    >>HAven't tried adaware
    >>
    >>>Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/

    >>Tried it and regcleaner too.
    >>

    >>>Hijackthis! http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    >>>

    >>Haven't tried that
    >>
    >>Still driving me barmy

    >Hijackthis should find the cause.
    >Post your log file here if you can't figure it out yourself.

    It's going to have to wait till Tuesday now. The Weekend has started
    yippee.

    Thanks anyway :)
    Alan G, Jan 23, 2004
  10. Alan G

    Alan G Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:14:10 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:13:58 +0000, Alan G <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:03:41 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    >>HAven't tried adaware
    >>
    >>>Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/

    >>Tried it and regcleaner too.
    >>

    >>>Hijackthis! http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    >>>

    >>Haven't tried that
    >>
    >>Still driving me barmy

    >Also, make sure the Messenger Service is disabled.

    Did that.
    I don't like messenger and keep it off anything I have responsibility
    for. Unfortunately this is a mobile pc and is primarily the
    responsibility of the user so it has all sorts of crap on it.
    Alan G, Jan 23, 2004
  11. Alan G

    K. Grass Guest

    I know Alan, I faced the same dilemma with a few of my clients as well. But
    you really should check the stats regarding 98. Microsoft has switched
    support to CD. This does not mean that they are continuing to do so. Read
    this article:

    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5138328.html

    K. Grass

    K. Grass, Jan 23, 2004
  12. Alan G

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:17:43 -0500, "K. Grass" <>
    wrote:

    >I know Alan, I faced the same dilemma with a few of my clients as well. But
    >you really should check the stats regarding 98. Microsoft has switched
    >support to CD. This does not mean that they are continuing to do so. Read
    >this article:
    >
    >http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5138328.html

    or this one
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=1187470123&fp=16&fpid=0