    plug-in problem can anyone give me any ideas as to what the problem is

    Thanks in advance of any help

    Dave

    Dave, Feb 13, 2007

  2. Dave

    philo Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    news:t_oAh.18825$...
    > Hi
    > Have problem with IE6 it keeps saying "IE6 has encountered a problem &

    needs
    > to close" because this keeps happening Ive disabled all plug-ins/add ons &
    > even tried using another browser (Firefox) but that crashes to with the

    same
    > message. I have noticed that some sites are ok so I'm assuming its a
    > plug-in problem can anyone give me any ideas as to what the problem is

    Try scanning for spyware and adware.

    also, if you have AOL toolbar...remove it!

    philo, Feb 13, 2007

  3. (posting from ie6.setup via msnews; no access to USENET)
    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Have problem with IE6 it keeps saying "IE6 has encountered a problem & needs
    > to close" because this keeps happening Ive disabled all plug-ins/add ons &
    > even tried using another browser (Firefox) but that crashes to with the same
    > message. I have noticed that some sites are ok so I'm assuming its a
    > plug-in problem can anyone give me any ideas as to what the problem is
    >
    > Thanks in advance of any help

    A good start to a diagnosis would be the Error Signature.
    Click on the [click here] link in the Error Reporting Tool's first window.
    Doubleclick in the Error Signature's text and press Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c
    Then paste the result into a reply.

    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Feb 13, 2007
  4. "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Have problem with IE6 it keeps saying "IE6 has encountered a problem &
    > needs to close" because this keeps happening Ive disabled all plug-ins/add
    > ons & even tried using another browser (Firefox) but that crashes to with
    > the same message. I have noticed that some sites are ok so I'm assuming
    > its a plug-in problem can anyone give me any ideas as to what the problem
    > is
    >
    > Thanks in advance of any help
    >
    > Dave

    Do a thorough malware check. Help with malware:
    All MS-MVP Sites.
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

    So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
    For quite a few people it's by installing Messenger Plus, whose ads for
    malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
    owe it to the author. See also:
    of.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM, Feb 14, 2007
  5. Dave

    bar Guest

    Here is my 2 cents worth...

    1. I have read recently that main culprit in ME is pgm PCHealth, the
    stuff that sends you back in time, to System Restore (a part of
    PCHealth). The author recommends to get rid of it, but even if PCHealth
    /System Restore is gone ME will to continue to write changes to the
    hidden restore file, in C:\root, so create another, fake one, text
    only, read only archive etc., in place of original. The reason is that
    ME fills the hard drive. I have not done this in spite of IE6 problem
    because I do not dare. Will do it after I do #2 and have ME to XP
    upgrade handy, just in case. Would appreciate any feedback on this.

    2. A friend of mine had the same IE6 problems with XP. He used cable but
    had old dial-up modem installed and never used. He took it out for the
    other reasons and the IE6 problem was gone. Misterious arre the ways of
    the Lord! I will take it out soon and would also appreciate any feedback
    on this.

    z.

    bar, Feb 14, 2007