IE6 illegal operation fault

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sunny, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. sunny

    sunny Guest

    Recently i am regularly getting an illegal operation fault when i start up
    internet explorer (6) using win 98se, giving the below details.

    EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    Registers:
    EAX=6a919e61 CS=017f EIP=bff7b9f5 EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=0086fde0 SS=0187 ESP=00830000 EBP=00830024
    ECX=00831df8 DS=0187 ESI=00000001 FS=2fb7
    EDX=00000001 ES=0187 EDI=81d1d258 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    56 57 89 65 e8 75 04 33 c0 eb 54 85 c0 74 4b c7
    Stack dump:
    0086fde0 6a919e61 00000001 0086fde0 6a919e61 00831df8 bffc05b4 bff79250
    ffffffff 00831e08 bff7ce23 6a919e61 00000001 6a913046 6a919e61 00831e30

    If i close the report window ie6 shutsdown along with all but 3 of the icons
    and clock in my taskbar (zonealarm, norton antivirus and messenger) I can
    then open up ie6 again usually with no further problems but occasionally the
    system crashes. I have just started my pc up today and after checking my
    emails in OE and closing the prog down i was left with just the destop.
    After a few minutes where i didnt do anything the same message came up and i
    hadnt even attempted to access IE.

    Once IE shuts down my desktop goes to the white recovery screen until i
    click on the restore setting although this doesnt bring any more icons back
    to the taskbar. The only way i can do this is to reboot.

    Any help would be gratefully appreciated

    regards

    sunny, Sep 20, 2004

  2. sunny

    °Mike° Guest

    Can you be clear on this, because you state that
    you have a problem with Internet Explorer, and
    yet the error message is for Windows Explorer?

    Also, there is no need to inclued the registers
    and stack dump.

    For general troubleshooting of kernel32 errors, see:

    Definition of Kernel32.dll Error Messages
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/topics/errormsg/kbkern.asp

    Jim Eshelman's Troubleshooting KERNEL32.DLL Errors
    http://www.aumha.org/a/k32fix.htm

    Henri Leboeuf - KERNEL32.DLL - ERRORS
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errkrn32.htm

    Troubleshooting Kernel32.dll errors and Invalid Page Faults
    http://www.all-windows.com/kernel32.html

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:14:06 GMT, in
    <iQz3d.711$>
    sunny scrawled:

    >Recently i am regularly getting an illegal operation fault when i start up
    >internet explorer (6) using win 98se, giving the below details.
    >
    >EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    >module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance