IE6 different behavior under accounts on same PC

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by aguy, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. aguy

    aguy Guest

    Hi,

    I am stuck with a weird problem: running IE6 is giving me an error
    "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    sorry for the inconvenience." Then this dialog box pops up "The
    instruction at "0x01be4213" referenced memory at "0x0156ad58". The
    memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

    Now, under another profile, IE runs fine!

    I have tried to reinstall but I keep on getting the error message that a
    newer version of IE has been installed hence the installation cannot
    continue. I changed the registry value of a field from 1 to 0 as
    documented in microsofts troubleshooting guide but I still cannot
    reinstall IE.

    It seems to me that there is some problem in one of the profiles. I
    would appreciate if anyone can help me locate the bug and help me run IE
    again.

    Thanks.
    aguy, Sep 5, 2005

  2. aguy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    aguy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am stuck with a weird problem: running IE6 is giving me an error
    > "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
    > are sorry for the inconvenience." Then this dialog box pops up "The
    > instruction at "0x01be4213" referenced memory at "0x0156ad58". The
    > memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.
    >
    > Now, under another profile, IE runs fine!
    >
    > I have tried to reinstall but I keep on getting the error message
    > that a newer version of IE has been installed hence the installation
    > cannot continue. I changed the registry value of a field from 1 to 0
    > as documented in microsofts troubleshooting guide but I still cannot
    > reinstall IE.
    >
    > It seems to me that there is some problem in one of the profiles. I
    > would appreciate if anyone can help me locate the bug and help me run
    > IE again.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I wouldn't waste my time trying to fix IE. It's might not be in IE - it's is
    just as likely to be in the user profile. Make another profile for that
    user, copy any needed data files, and delete the original.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005

  3. aguy

    aguy Guest

    aguy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am stuck with a weird problem: running IE6 is giving me an error
    > "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    > sorry for the inconvenience." Then this dialog box pops up "The
    > instruction at "0x01be4213" referenced memory at "0x0156ad58". The
    > memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.
    >
    > Now, under another profile, IE runs fine!
    >
    > I have tried to reinstall but I keep on getting the error message that a
    > newer version of IE has been installed hence the installation cannot
    > continue. I changed the registry value of a field from 1 to 0 as
    > documented in microsofts troubleshooting guide but I still cannot
    > reinstall IE.
    >
    > It seems to me that there is some problem in one of the profiles. I
    > would appreciate if anyone can help me locate the bug and help me run IE
    > again.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I should mention that I have run SFC and it did not find any error (or
    fixed errors). IE still does not run.
    aguy, Sep 5, 2005
  4. aguy

    Aart Jansen Guest

    i have seen this before, my solution was to download and use thunderbird.
    Theres a few OE recovery tools around for download, you could rename the
    store folder or create a new one. it might simply be a corrupt email in one
    of your folders.

    Aart Jansen, Sep 5, 2005
  5. aguy

    aguy Guest

    Aart Jansen wrote:
    > i have seen this before, my solution was to download and use thunderbird.
    > Theres a few OE recovery tools around for download, you could rename the
    > store folder or create a new one. it might simply be a corrupt email in one
    > of your folders.
    > "aguy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am stuck with a weird problem: running IE6 is giving me an error
    >>"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    >>sorry for the inconvenience." Then this dialog box pops up "The
    >>instruction at "0x01be4213" referenced memory at "0x0156ad58". The memory
    >>could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.
    >>
    >>Now, under another profile, IE runs fine!
    >>
    >>I have tried to reinstall but I keep on getting the error message that a
    >>newer version of IE has been installed hence the installation cannot
    >>continue. I changed the registry value of a field from 1 to 0 as
    >>documented in microsofts troubleshooting guide but I still cannot
    >>reinstall IE.
    >>
    >>It seems to me that there is some problem in one of the profiles. I would
    >>appreciate if anyone can help me locate the bug and help me run IE again.
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    the good new is that I have been able to fix the problem. I had a hunch
    that a BHO (spoofguard) was crashing IE. I removed it and I can run IE!
    aguy, Sep 5, 2005