    me repair the corrupt file... won't let me reinstall... just plain won't let
    me do anything that requires using IE in the first place. (which is why I
    resorted to OE's newsgroups) Any suggestions?
    Jonna Blankenship, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Jonna Blankenship

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Jonna Blankenship" <> wrote in message
    news:crafuj$9dp6$...
    |I hope someone can help me... I recently updated to IE6, Then last night I
    | defraged my hd, then after rebooting I lost access to windows. I paid
    | someone to come over and fix it... well he couldn't fix IE. I keep
    getting
    | the same error message with the "sorry for any inconvience". It won't let
    | me repair the corrupt file... won't let me reinstall... just plain won't
    let
    | me do anything that requires using IE in the first place. (which is why I
    | resorted to OE's newsgroups) Any suggestions?

    Is there more to that error message? Post all of it if there is.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005

  3. The better part of the message is this:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close.
    Sorry for any inconvienience.
    If you were in the middle of something, the info you were working on might
    be lost.
    Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
    Error Report:
    Error Signature
    AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
    ModName: vbscript.dll ModVer: 5.6.0.7426
    Offset: 00014da8

    Its all greek to me...

    Jonna Blankenship, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Jonna Blankenship

    Richard Guest

    Jonna Blankenship wrote:

    > The better part of the message is this:
    > Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close.
    > Sorry for any inconvienience.
    > If you were in the middle of something, the info you were working on might
    > be lost.
    > Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
    > Error Report:
    > Error Signature
    > AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
    > ModName: vbscript.dll ModVer: 5.6.0.7426
    > Offset: 00014da8

    You'll need to reboot in DOS mode with a floppy disk, or safe mode.
    Delete all of the IE files.
    Boot to windows and run the install program again.

    Orrrr.....trash IE and install Firefox.
    Richard, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Jonna Blankenship

    Smoker Guest

    > Jonna Blankenship wrote:
    >
    > > The better part of the message is this:
    > > Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered an error and needs to

    close.
    > > Sorry for any inconvienience.
    > > If you were in the middle of something, the info you were working on

    might
    > > be lost.
    > > Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
    > > Error Report:
    > > Error Signature
    > > AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
    > > ModName: vbscript.dll ModVer: 5.6.0.7426
    > > Offset: 00014da8

    > You'll need to reboot in DOS mode with a floppy disk, or safe mode.
    > Delete all of the IE files.
    > Boot to windows and run the install program again.
    >
    > Orrrr.....trash IE and install Firefox.

    Yes, trashing IE or just keeping it as a backup to Firefox is a good idea.
    Firefox is similar to using IE but is very customizable and there's lotsa
    good help that works if you have a problem. It will be the browser of choice
    for most folks in the future and using IE will be like using AOL, lots of
    trouble and nobody can help you.

    If you have a corrupt file you may be able to replace it using System File
    Checker. Go to Start/Run and type sfc and click OK

    Try replacing that vbscript.dll file by clicking where it says to extract a
    file and typing that name in the space, click Start and the next screen will
    ask you to restore from where, which likely would be your Winders CD. You
    can also run the entire thing to look through your system for altered files
    with some options to choose from when it finds any.
    Smoker, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Uh, okay, I bought my computer for $25 at a garage sale, Paid $100 to get it
    to run, and have no windows cd or any other cd's other than my 3yearolds
    toddler games. I am completely at the mercy of my $20 an hour repair man
    who told me yesterday that if he has to reboot my hard drive from scratch it
    will be another $60 on top of what I paid him yesterday. Soo, where can I
    get this Firefox?
    Jonna Blankenship, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Jonna Blankenship

    gangle Guest

    "Jonna Blankenship" wrote
    > Uh, okay, I bought my computer for $25 at a garage sale, Paid $100 to get it
    > to run, and have no windows cd or any other cd's other than my 3yearolds
    > toddler games. I am completely at the mercy of my $20 an hour repair man
    > who told me yesterday that if he has to reboot my hard drive from scratch it
    > will be another $60 on top of what I paid him yesterday. Soo, where can I
    > get this Firefox?

    You're saying that you have no browser, but that OE is working
    for mail and newsgroups? Here is a direct download link for
    Firefox, but the download may not work due to IE being screwed-up.
    http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox&os=win&lang=en-US

    Keep in mind that it sounds like your computer is a mess, and
    it isn't going to get better. You can't put a band-aid on a broken
    leg and then expect to walk on it.
    gangle, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Thanks... I tried the link... it appears to work. I will try to dl on my
    lunch hour. thanks again!
    Jonna Blankenship, Jan 3, 2005