    stopper. Can anyone help me? Also some of it is porn and i dont want her to
    see that .......

    brian s.
    brian s., Jul 22, 2003

  2. brian s.

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' dropdown, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q330904

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q302089

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:07:08 -0400, in
    <>
    brian s. scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 22, 2003

  3. brian s.

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jul 23, 2003
  4. brian s.

    Wal Guest

    "brian s." <> wrote in message
    > My neice was playing on the machine using the aol messenger, and went to
    > some website. It embedded a program that after about 5 minutes of me using
    > the computer, even if i dont have a web page up, it keeps throwing up pop
    > ups.... i ran spybot and destroy and it took care of some gator stuff. and

    > did a disk clean, but to no avail it is still comming up even with a

    pop-up
    > stopper. Can anyone help me? Also some of it is porn and i dont want her

    > see that .......
    >
    > brian s.

    Clear out your internet cache and Windows temp
    folders. If there are any files in the cache or temp
    folders that you cannot delete because it is in use
    then if your OS can boot to dos do that and
    delete it in dos. If you are sure the Cache and
    Temp folders are empty and it is still running then
    download and install Filemon and Regmon.
    Run them separately and they should pin point
    the files and register entries involved.

    Wal.
    Wal, Jul 23, 2003
  5. brian s.

    Plato Guest