    Jim

    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

    James D Andrews, May 24, 2011

  2. James D Andrews

    Paul Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:
    > Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    > :)

    You can use FTP from an MSDOS command window, if it makes
    you feel better :)

    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

    Most OSes come with an ftp client, operable from the
    command line. Even MacOSX has one (run it from the Terminal).

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 24, 2011

  3. I caught a glimpse of James D Andrews <> on Mon, 23
    May 2011 21:29:12 -0500, writing in alt.computer:

    >Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    >:)

    LOL. No, just because you use a Microsoft operating system doesn't mean
    you have to use any of their other applications.

    Wish you luck, see how you go with Firefox another alternative is Opera.
    --

    Erik

    Erik Vastmasd, May 24, 2011
  4. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    > :)

    No. I can't help but wonder how else you would do it. You could use IE to
    download Chrome, then download FireFox...

    Jeff Strickland, May 24, 2011
  5. James D Andrews

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    >> :)
    >>

    > No. I can't help but wonder how else you would do it. You could use IE to
    > download Chrome, then download FireFox...

    Firefox is available via FTP protocol, and virtually every
    OS has a command line FTP client. In Windows, you'd do this
    from a (MSDOS) command prompt window, and you could arrange
    to download it, without the help of Explorer.

    ftp ftp.mozilla.org

    Paul

    Paul, May 24, 2011
  6. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    >>> :)
    >>>

    >> No. I can't help but wonder how else you would do it. You could use IE to
    >> download Chrome, then download FireFox...

    > Firefox is available via FTP protocol, and virtually every
    > OS has a command line FTP client. In Windows, you'd do this
    > from a (MSDOS) command prompt window, and you could arrange
    > to download it, without the help of Explorer.
    >
    > ftp ftp.mozilla.org

    Sure, you could, but why bother? Windows (all Windows) has IE installed that
    cannot be removed, so simply start IE and navigate to www.firefox.com and
    download the program and install it.

    The OP was not saying he could not do this, it asked (tongue in cheek, I'm
    sure) if it was immoral to do so.

    Jeff Strickland, May 24, 2011
  7. James D Andrews

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>> "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> No. I can't help but wonder how else you would do it. You could use IE to
    >>> download Chrome, then download FireFox...

    >> Firefox is available via FTP protocol, and virtually every
    >> OS has a command line FTP client. In Windows, you'd do this
    >> from a (MSDOS) command prompt window, and you could arrange
    >> to download it, without the help of Explorer.
    >>
    >> ftp ftp.mozilla.org
    >>

    > Sure, you could, but why bother? Windows (all Windows) has IE installed that
    > cannot be removed, so simply start IE and navigate to www.firefox.com and
    > download the program and install it.
    >
    > The OP was not saying he could not do this, it asked (tongue in cheek, I'm
    > sure) if it was immoral to do so.

    There was a time, before I got my first browser, where indeed this was
    how I bootstrapped myself (FTP). My first browser, required downloading source
    and compiling it on the computer. I was on a Unix box at the time, and
    it may have been Mosaic. That was quite a while ago.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Timeline_of_web_browsers.svg

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCSA_Mosaic

    In other restrictive situations (such as building Gentoo from scratch),
    a tool like Lynx is used, which works when there is no graphics
    capability on the computer. (All you can view is text - you can
    download the graphics for a web page, but, well, there's no way
    to view them if you're stuck with only a console window of some sort.)
    On occasion, I used Lynx at work to do stuff, as we weren't always showered
    with lots of useful software.

    In this example, you can see Lynx working in Xterm. With the composition of
    most web pages today, this thing gives you nothing but an ugly mess. So this
    is no longer a very practical tool. Web pages aren't coded well for it.
    Navigation would be virtually impossible on a modern web page.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Lynx-wikipedia.png

    Crude tools like that, are for when you're on a pretty broken computer.

    So you can bootstrap yourself, by using FTP to download Lynx, and then use
    Lynx to view the text portion of browser pages.

    Other tools you can use, are "curl" and "wget".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CURL

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget

    A lot of younger users, are spoiled by the wealth of software they have
    access to. I've had occasion to use that other crap, and it isn't a lot
    of fun.

    Paul

    Paul, May 24, 2011
  8. Erik Vastmasd embroidered on the monitor :
    > I caught a glimpse of James D Andrews <> on Mon, 23
    > May 2011 21:29:12 -0500, writing in alt.computer:
    >
    >> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    >> :)

    > LOL. No, just because you use a Microsoft operating system doesn't mean
    > you have to use any of their other applications.
    >
    > Wish you luck, see how you go with Firefox another alternative is Opera.
    > --
    >
    > Erik

    Thanks.

    Downloaded that one, too, along with numerous other alternatives, but
    going with Firefox for now because of its wide acceptance and because
    my particular search bar works with it (and IE), but currently with no
    others.

    Oddly, the Import Favorites function during installation did not work
    (with no error message reported) and I had to do this within the
    program. But since it worked inside the program, not really a big
    issue.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
    that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
    good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
    -Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

    James D Andrews, May 24, 2011
  9. Paul banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> Firefox is available via FTP protocol, and virtually every
    >>> OS has a command line FTP client. In Windows, you'd do this
    >>> from a (MSDOS) command prompt window, and you could arrange
    >>> to download it, without the help of Explorer.
    >>>
    >>> ftp ftp.mozilla.org
    >>>

    > A lot of younger users, are spoiled by the wealth of software they have
    > access to. I've had occasion to use that other crap, and it isn't a lot
    > of fun.
    >
    > Paul

    Ah, the good old days. I don't miss punch cards, I can tell you that.

    I have to admit, I'm a freeware junky. My system is overloaded with
    software - my own fault. I find programs to do things I never knew I
    wanted to do in the first place, but love having.

    James D Andrews, May 24, 2011
  10. Paul was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    > James D Andrews wrote:
    >> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    >> :)
    >>

    > You can use FTP from an MSDOS command window, if it makes
    > you feel better :)
    >
    > ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/
    >
    > Most OSes come with an ftp client, operable from the
    > command line. Even MacOSX has one (run it from the Terminal).
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Thanks, Paul.
    I was just attempting to be funny, hoping to bring a brief smile, about
    the comparisons of Internet browsers.

    James D Andrews, May 24, 2011
  11. James D Andrews

    Paul Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:
    > Paul banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >> A lot of younger users, are spoiled by the wealth of software they have
    >> access to. I've had occasion to use that other crap, and it isn't a lot
    >> of fun.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Ah, the good old days. I don't miss punch cards, I can tell you that.
    >
    > I have to admit, I'm a freeware junky. My system is overloaded with
    > software - my own fault. I find programs to do things I never knew I
    > wanted to do in the first place, but love having.

    I used punched cards :) They're a hoot. As is watching your program
    be loaded into the hopper on the mainframe. We even had one of those
    key punches with the new "LED" display on the front. There were fights
    to get to play with that...

    I used to spend all Saturday, writing programs as a high school student
    and running them on the local university mainframe (there was a deal between
    the high school and the university to do that). That was part of
    my introduction to computers. That, and around the same time, getting
    to write APL programs on a Selectric typewriter interfaced over telephone
    line, to a government computer. We only had the one Selectric, and it
    was booked solid the whole week. Talk about Geek Heaven.

    My worst computing device - ASR33 look-alike teletype running at 110 baud,
    with roll fed paper for media, where nobody ever bothered to change
    the typewriter cartridge (to provide fresh ink for printout). Pure freaking
    misery. I had to do a whole statistics course, interactively, in front
    of that piece of crap. It's no wonder so many of those things got damaged.
    The service man was in one day, to work on one that was broken, and
    the shift key had been shoved right through the chassis :) That requires
    bending the level that joins the key to an internal switch, and still takes
    a *lot* of strength. Phys.Ed. student type strength. You'd have to be really
    pissed to do that... "It waren't me sir".

    Paul

    Paul, May 25, 2011
  12. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> Firefox is available via FTP protocol, and virtually every
    >>> OS has a command line FTP client. In Windows, you'd do this
    >>> from a (MSDOS) command prompt window, and you could arrange
    >>> to download it, without the help of Explorer.
    >>>
    >>> ftp ftp.mozilla.org
    >>>

    >> Sure, you could, but why bother? Windows (all Windows) has IE installed
    >> that cannot be removed, so simply start IE and navigate to
    >> www.firefox.com and download the program and install it.
    >>
    >> The OP was not saying he could not do this, it asked (tongue in cheek,
    >> I'm sure) if it was immoral to do so.

    > There was a time, before I got my first browser, where indeed this was
    > how I bootstrapped myself (FTP). My first browser, required downloading
    > source
    > and compiling it on the computer. I was on a Unix box at the time, and
    > it may have been Mosaic. That was quite a while ago.

    That's all well and good, but it is not the situation of the OP, and
    therefore is not the answer to the question.

    Jeff Strickland, May 25, 2011
  13. I caught a glimpse of Robert Baer <> on Tue, 24
    May 2011 21:38:45 -0700, writing in alt.computer:

    >Erik Vastmasd wrote:
    >> I caught a glimpse of James D Andrews <> on Mon, 23
    >> May 2011 21:29:12 -0500, writing in alt.computer:
    >>
    >>> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    >>> :)

    >> LOL. No, just because you use a Microsoft operating system doesn't mean
    >> you have to use any of their other applications.
    >>
    >> Wish you luck, see how you go with Firefox another alternative is Opera.

    > Yeah, but Opera is rather quirky to say the least.

    Opera isn't quirky here 'cause I've taught Opera to sit. :)

    I've used Opera since Opera 5.05 when we had to pay for it, now it's
    free and I feel it is great.

    Opera 11.11 Build 2109 was the latest released version which I have
    installed. But I installed Opera Next 11.50 alpha Build 1015 and made it
    my default browser and so far haven't been disappointed.

    As an alternative browser for pages that Opera isn't accepted, K-Meleon
    does me well,whereas Firefox and Chrome don't.
    --

    Erik

    Erik Vastmasd, May 25, 2011
  14. Paul was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    > James D Andrews wrote:
    >> Paul banged his head on his keyboard to write :

    >>> A lot of younger users, are spoiled by the wealth of software they have
    >>> access to. I've had occasion to use that other crap, and it isn't a lot
    >>> of fun.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> Ah, the good old days. I don't miss punch cards, I can tell you that.
    >>
    >> I have to admit, I'm a freeware junky. My system is overloaded with
    >> software - my own fault. I find programs to do things I never knew I
    >> wanted to do in the first place, but love having.
    >>

    > My worst computing device - ASR33 look-alike teletype running at 110 baud,
    > with roll fed paper for media, where nobody ever bothered to change
    > the typewriter cartridge (to provide fresh ink for printout).

    I worked on the KSRs, I forget which specific model. We probably had
    30-40 of them, and quite often nearly half of them were down for
    "repairs."

    >You'd have to be really
    > pissed to do that... "It waren't me sir".
    >
    > Paul

    Innocent until proven guilty.

    James D Andrews, May 25, 2011
  15. James D Andrews

    Seum Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:
    > Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    > :)

    Did you ever think to ask IE and FFox if THEY thought it would be
    immoral? or do these progs think that riding on the back of the other
    is immoral? Did you ever think about assessing their SEX?

    Seum, May 26, 2011
  16. Seum snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    > James D Andrews wrote:
    >> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    >> :)

    > Did you ever think to ask IE and FFox if THEY thought it would be immoral? or
    > do these progs think that riding on the back of the other
    > is immoral? Did you ever think about assessing their SEX?

    What a frightening thought.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
    - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

    James D Andrews, May 26, 2011
  17. opera, was: IE vs. Firefox

    In <irggee$8m7$> "Jeff Strickland" <> writes:

    >"James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it immoral to use Internet Explorer to download Firefox?
    >> :)
    >>

    >No. I can't help but wonder how else you would do it. You could use IE to
    >download Chrome, then download FireFox...

    FTP to pull over Opera, the Opera to get the others...

    hmmm.. eyup. still works. just goto ftp.opera.com...

    danny burstein, May 31, 2011
  18. thedof snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    > I Agree whole heartedly IE is not up to scratch.
    >
    > That said Firefox was the fastest and best for a long time in my eyes,
    > now I am not so sure, maybe Chrome is faster and certainly more stable.
    >
    > One thing I have noticed recently is that Firefox seems to hang up a
    > lot, this is unacceptable and is something that Mozilla needs to fix
    > soon otherwise they will loose their user base to Google Chrome if that
    > has not happened already.

    I haven't encountered hangups yet - certainly nowhere near as much as
    IE.

    Firefox just released the new 5.0 version this week and an accompanying
    upgrade to Thunderbird. Maybe that will solve the problems you've been
    seeing.

    So far, I'm more than satisfied with my move to Mozilla. I considered
    other browsers, but most lack compatibility with my particular Add-ons.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
    and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
    swept off to.
    -Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

    James D Andrews, Jun 26, 2011