    perhaps FF has a setting that IE does not have in default or vice versa
    so I can tweak IE and keep Mrs. Clydester off my back.

    Thx!
    Clydester, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Clydester

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:44:11 -0400, Clydester
    <> spake thusly:

    >Hi:
    >
    >I'm really new to Firefox and was hoping that someone could help with a
    >question:
    >
    >There's a website I go to that has cookie authentication. When I use
    >IE, I get caught in a loop where I keep going back to the login page.
    >With Firefox, I get in fine.
    >
    >I know the answer is obvious- drop IE. However, Mrs. Clydester wants
    >to use IE for the site and won't use FF (I know, but what can you do?).

    Install Opera. It identifies itself as IE is you want
    and if that's what she's worried about (certain
    sites only catering to IE), that should solve it.

    I tried Opera. It was nice, but Firefox is less
    powerful feature wise and as weird as it sounds,
    that was a plus to me. I just wanted something
    simple that worked and had a cool search feature.

    --

    Pastor Dave

    Silence in the Face of Doctrinal Criticism is Suicide

    http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/solution.html

    http://tinyurl.com/ce97m
    Pastor Dave, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Clydester

    Z Guest

    Clydester wrote:
    > What does FF do differently than IE with cookies? I'm hoping to see if
    > perhaps FF has a setting that IE does not have in default or vice versa
    > so I can tweak IE and keep Mrs. Clydester off my back.
    >
    > Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

    Check your cookie settings in IE.

    Tools > Options > Privacy.
    Z, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Clydester

    Vartkes Guest

    "Pastor Dave" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:44:11 -0400, Clydester
    > <> spake thusly:
    >
    >>Hi:
    >>
    >>I'm really new to Firefox and was hoping that someone could help with a
    >>question:
    >>
    >>There's a website I go to that has cookie authentication. When I use
    >>IE, I get caught in a loop where I keep going back to the login page.
    >>With Firefox, I get in fine.
    >>
    >>I know the answer is obvious- drop IE. However, Mrs. Clydester wants
    >>to use IE for the site and won't use FF (I know, but what can you do?).

    > Install Opera. It identifies itself as IE is you want
    > and if that's what she's worried about (certain
    > sites only catering to IE), that should solve it.
    > [other nonsense deleted]

    For your information, Firefox can also identify itself
    as IE (with a simple-to-install 'IE view' extension available
    at
    https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=35&application=firefox

    As for Mrs Clydester, I could suggest a few high-rise buildings
    she can walk off of, but I'll refrain...

    ;-)
    Vartkes, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Clydester

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Vartkes* wrote:
    > "Pastor Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:44:11 -0400, Clydester
    >> <> spake thusly:
    >>
    >>>Hi:
    >>>
    >>>I'm really new to Firefox and was hoping that someone could help with a
    >>>question:
    >>>
    >>>There's a website I go to that has cookie authentication. When I use
    >>>IE, I get caught in a loop where I keep going back to the login page.
    >>>With Firefox, I get in fine.
    >>>
    >>>I know the answer is obvious- drop IE. However, Mrs. Clydester wants
    >>>to use IE for the site and won't use FF (I know, but what can you do?).

    >> Install Opera. It identifies itself as IE is you want
    >> and if that's what she's worried about (certain
    >> sites only catering to IE), that should solve it.
    >> [other nonsense deleted]

    > For your information, Firefox can also identify itself
    > as IE (with a simple-to-install 'IE view' extension available
    > at
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=35&application=firefox

    "IE view" adds "View page in Internet Explorer" links to the content
    and link context menu, so you can launch IE from within Firefox. It
    does not switch Firefox's user agent string, so Firefox can't identify
    it self as IE. For that you need a "UA identifier". I don't know if
    there is sutch stand alone extension, but it's a part of the PrefBar
    extension.

    --
    /Arne

    are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    quote signatures, thank you.
    Arne, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Clydester

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > Once upon a time *Vartkes* wrote:
    >
    >>"Pastor Dave" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:44:11 -0400, Clydester
    >>><> spake thusly:

    >>>Install Opera. It identifies itself as IE is you want
    >>>and if that's what she's worried about (certain
    >>>sites only catering to IE), that should solve it.
    >>>[other nonsense deleted]

    >>For your information, Firefox can also identify itself
    >>as IE (with a simple-to-install 'IE view' extension available
    >>at
    >>https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=35&application=firefox
    >>

    > "IE view" adds "View page in Internet Explorer" links to the content
    > and link context menu, so you can launch IE from within Firefox. It
    > does not switch Firefox's user agent string, so Firefox can't identify
    > it self as IE. For that you need a "UA identifier". I don't know if
    > there is sutch stand alone extension, but it's a part of the PrefBar
    > extension.

    User Agent Switcher

    https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&numpg=10&id=59

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Clydester

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:24:12 +0200, "Vartkes"
    <> spake thusly:

    >"Pastor Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:44:11 -0400, Clydester
    >> <> spake thusly:
    >>
    >>>Hi:
    >>>
    >>>I'm really new to Firefox and was hoping that someone could help with a
    >>>question:
    >>>
    >>>There's a website I go to that has cookie authentication. When I use
    >>>IE, I get caught in a loop where I keep going back to the login page.
    >>>With Firefox, I get in fine.
    >>>
    >>>I know the answer is obvious- drop IE. However, Mrs. Clydester wants
    >>>to use IE for the site and won't use FF (I know, but what can you do?).

    >> Install Opera. It identifies itself as IE is you want
    >> and if that's what she's worried about (certain
    >> sites only catering to IE), that should solve it.
    >> [other nonsense deleted]

    >For your information, Firefox can also identify itself
    >as IE (with a simple-to-install 'IE view' extension available
    >at
    >https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=35&application=firefox

    This is talking about "redirecting pages to IE".
    Does that mean that it's going to open IE?
    That's not what I would want.

    Pastor Dave, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Clydester

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:06:23 -0400, Ed Mullen
    <> spake thusly:

    >> "IE view" adds "View page in Internet Explorer" links to the content
    >> and link context menu, so you can launch IE from within Firefox. It
    >> does not switch Firefox's user agent string, so Firefox can't identify
    >> it self as IE. For that you need a "UA identifier". I don't know if
    >> there is sutch stand alone extension, but it's a part of the PrefBar
    >> extension.
    >>

    >User Agent Switcher
    >
    >https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&numpg=10&id=59

    Thanks for providing a link. But I don't know
    why descriptions aren't clearer.

    In a "See Dick Run" way, please tell me what
    this does.

    1) What is a "User Agent"?

    2) Why would I want one? Is it that I am staying
    within Firefox, but it identifies itself as IE, without
    changing the way it works for me?

    3) Does it now always identify itself as IE?
    Or does it add an option to the options menu,
    that can be turned on and off?

    Also, I have a Thunderbird question, if you don't mind.

    Is there a setting that I can use, to tell Thunderbird
    to retrieve all email, as soon as it loads. Right now,
    it tells me if there is mail on the server, but I want
    it to go and get it immediately, upon loading, like I
    has OE doing. I can't find this setting in the
    options.

    Also, does Thunderbird take a long time to load
    for anyone else?

    Thanks! :)

    Pastor Dave, Jul 8, 2005
  9. Clydester

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Pastor Dave* wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:06:23 -0400, Ed Mullen
    > <> spake thusly:
    >

    >>> "IE view" adds "View page in Internet Explorer" links to the content
    >>> and link context menu, so you can launch IE from within Firefox. It
    >>> does not switch Firefox's user agent string, so Firefox can't identify
    >>> it self as IE. For that you need a "UA identifier". I don't know if
    >>> there is sutch stand alone extension, but it's a part of the PrefBar
    >>> extension.
    >>>

    >>User Agent Switcher
    >>
    >>https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&numpg=10&id=59

    > Thanks for providing a link. But I don't know
    > why descriptions aren't clearer.
    >
    > In a "See Dick Run" way, please tell me what
    > this does.
    >
    > 1) What is a "User Agent"?

    An other (technical?) name for a web browser

    > 2) Why would I want one? Is it that I am staying
    > within Firefox, but it identifies itself as IE, without
    > changing the way it works for me?

    When you change the UA it identifies itself as IE without rally
    changing anything. On some sites where is says you need IE it can
    work, but far from all. The reason is that the page works with
    Mozilla/Ff but those "webmasters" don't know or belive it and are
    browser sniffing so they can tell if you have IE or not :)

    > 3) Does it now always identify itself as IE?
    > Or does it add an option to the options menu,
    > that can be turned on and off?

    At least in the Suite it goes back to "Real UA" when you close the
    browser, if you don't change it back your self.

    > Also, I have a Thunderbird question, if you don't mind.
    >
    > Is there a setting that I can use, to tell Thunderbird
    > to retrieve all email, as soon as it loads. Right now,
    > it tells me if there is mail on the server, but I want
    > it to go and get it immediately, upon loading, like I
    > has OE doing. I can't find this setting in the
    > options.
    >
    > Also, does Thunderbird take a long time to load
    > for anyone else?

    I don't use Tb so I don't know for sure. But look in to the server
    settings in Tools(?) >> Preferences, for your accounts. There you
    should have the option "Automatically Download New Messages"

    Arne, Jul 8, 2005
  10. Clydester

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:06:23 -0400, Ed Mullen
    > <> spake thusly:
    >

    >>>"IE view" adds "View page in Internet Explorer" links to the content
    >>>and link context menu, so you can launch IE from within Firefox. It
    >>>does not switch Firefox's user agent string, so Firefox can't identify
    >>>it self as IE. For that you need a "UA identifier". I don't know if
    >>>there is sutch stand alone extension, but it's a part of the PrefBar
    >>>extension.
    >>>

    >>User Agent Switcher
    >>
    >>https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&numpg=10&id=59

    > Thanks for providing a link. But I don't know
    > why descriptions aren't clearer.
    >
    > In a "See Dick Run" way, please tell me what
    > this does.
    >
    > 1) What is a "User Agent"?

    It is a text string that identifies the software application being used,
    browser or email/news. A Web page can be designed to detect the UA and
    "do" something. Some sites detect that a non-IE browser is being used
    and do things, usually incorrectly, to present different actions and/or
    content to the user than is presented to an IE user.

    > 2) Why would I want one? Is it that I am staying
    > within Firefox, but it identifies itself as IE, without
    > changing the way it works for me?

    Yes.

    > 3) Does it now always identify itself as IE?
    > Or does it add an option to the options menu,
    > that can be turned on and off?

    The UA Switcher extension allows you to change to several different UAs.
    It can be set to revert to the default (Firefox) UA when you exit the
    browser.

    > Also, I have a Thunderbird question, if you don't mind.
    >
    > Is there a setting that I can use, to tell Thunderbird
    > to retrieve all email, as soon as it loads. Right now,
    > it tells me if there is mail on the server, but I want
    > it to go and get it immediately, upon loading, like I
    > has OE doing. I can't find this setting in the
    > options.

    Tools - Account Settings. For each account (under Server Settings) you
    can set what actions take place on load. "Check for new messages at
    startup" and "Automatically download new messages" is what you need to
    look at.

    > Also, does Thunderbird take a long time to load
    > for anyone else?
    >
    > Thanks! :)

    Relative to what? I could tell you how long it takes /my/ TB to load
    but there are a many factors to consider:

    - Processor speed
    - OS version
    - Amount of RAM
    - Number and which extensions installed
    - Other programs resident or running
    - Speed of Internet connection

    Post yours, along with TB's time from launch to stable state. You'll
    likely get lots of answers to compare.

    Ed Mullen, Jul 8, 2005
  11. Clydester

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:55:53 -0400, Ed Mullen
    <> spake thusly:

    >Pastor Dave wrote:
    >> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:06:23 -0400, Ed Mullen
    >> <> spake thusly:

    >>>User Agent Switcher
    >>>
    >>>https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&numpg=10&id=59

    >> Thanks for providing a link. But I don't know
    >> why descriptions aren't clearer.
    >>
    >> In a "See Dick Run" way, please tell me what
    >> this does.
    >>
    >> 1) What is a "User Agent"?
    >>

    >It is a text string that identifies the software application being used,
    >browser or email/news. A Web page can be designed to detect the UA and
    >"do" something. Some sites detect that a non-IE browser is being used
    >and do things, usually incorrectly, to present different actions and/or
    >content to the user than is presented to an IE user.

    Excellent description, thank you. :)

    >> 2) Why would I want one? Is it that I am staying
    >> within Firefox, but it identifies itself as IE, without
    >> changing the way it works for me?

    >Yes.

    Okay. :)

    >> 3) Does it now always identify itself as IE?
    >> Or does it add an option to the options menu,
    >> that can be turned on and off?

    >The UA Switcher extension allows you to change to several different UAs.
    >It can be set to revert to the default (Firefox) UA when you exit the
    >browser.

    So if I were to install this, then it would add
    another setting into the options menu, giving
    me some choices regarding this?

    >> Also, I have a Thunderbird question, if you don't mind.
    >>
    >> Is there a setting that I can use, to tell Thunderbird
    >> to retrieve all email, as soon as it loads. Right now,
    >> it tells me if there is mail on the server, but I want
    >> it to go and get it immediately, upon loading, like I
    >> has OE doing. I can't find this setting in the
    >> options.

    >Tools - Account Settings. For each account (under Server Settings) you
    >can set what actions take place on load. "Check for new messages at
    >startup" and "Automatically download new messages" is what you need to
    >look at.

    Excellent! Thank you!

    >> Also, does Thunderbird take a long time to load
    >> for anyone else?
    >>
    >> Thanks! :)
    >>

    >Relative to what? I could tell you how long it takes /my/ TB to load
    >but there are a many factors to consider:

    Relative to anything else I load. :)

    >- Processor speed

    1.3 GHz

    >- OS version

    XP Pro - SP2

    >- Amount of RAM

    512 MB

    >- Number and which extensions installed

    1.0.2 (no extensions installed)

    Btw, I heard tell of 1.0.4, but when I have TBird check
    for an update, it says I have the newest version.

    >- Other programs resident or running

    Same as with OE and nothing that would
    interfere with an email program. My antivirus
    software would obviously delay my seeing
    messages right away, but I am talking about
    just getting the program screen up and the
    buttons not grayed out. The AV message
    scanning delays any email program, so I'm
    not concerned with that.

    >- Speed of Internet connection

    Cable modem. But that shouldn't matter,
    since it wasn't set to check for messages
    automatically until you told me how. :)

    >Post yours, along with TB's time from launch
    >to stable state. You'll likely get lots of answers
    >to compare.

    Between 15 - 20 seconds for TBird, vs 3 seconds
    for OE.

    Btw, I am not computer illiterate. I have been
    a tech for over 20 years. That does not mean
    however, that I am familiar with every term
    found in every piece of software and frankly,
    the destructions are usually written in a fashion
    that assumes that the person reading them
    was the instructor of the programmer when
    he/she went to college. :) Kind of like when
    I was a Fido Hub for Pinellas County and had
    to set up GEcho. :)

    Pastor Dave, Jul 8, 2005
  12. Clydester

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:54:02 +0200, Arne
    <> spake thusly:

    >> 3) Does it now always identify itself as IE?
    >> Or does it add an option to the options menu,
    >> that can be turned on and off?

    >At least in the Suite it goes back to "Real UA" when you close the
    >browser, if you don't change it back your self.

    Suite???

    And thanks for your response. :)

    Pastor Dave, Jul 8, 2005
  13. The only obvious answer is to get an I.E. skin and change all of the
    icons.
    IE that's as good as FF!

    poly-p man
    =?iso-8859-1?B?/vOh/y3e9SH9IG1A8Q==?=, Jul 8, 2005
  14. Clydester

    http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

    Arne, Jul 8, 2005
  15. Clydester

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:55:53 -0400, Ed Mullen
    > <> spake thusly:
    >

    >>Pastor Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:06:23 -0400, Ed Mullen
    >>><> spake thusly:

    >>>Thanks for providing a link. But I don't know
    >>>why descriptions aren't clearer.
    >>>
    >>>In a "See Dick Run" way, please tell me what
    >>>this does.
    >>>
    >>>1) What is a "User Agent"?
    >>>

    >>It is a text string that identifies the software application being used,
    >>browser or email/news. A Web page can be designed to detect the UA and
    >>"do" something. Some sites detect that a non-IE browser is being used
    >>and do things, usually incorrectly, to present different actions and/or
    >>content to the user than is presented to an IE user.

    > Excellent description, thank you. :)
    >

    >>>2) Why would I want one? Is it that I am staying
    >>>within Firefox, but it identifies itself as IE, without
    >>>changing the way it works for me?

    >>Yes.

    > Okay. :)
    >

    >>>3) Does it now always identify itself as IE?
    >>>Or does it add an option to the options menu,
    >>>that can be turned on and off?

    >>The UA Switcher extension allows you to change to several different UAs.
    >>It can be set to revert to the default (Firefox) UA when you exit the
    >>browser.

    > So if I were to install this, then it would add
    > another setting into the options menu, giving
    > me some choices regarding this?

    Yes. Can't remember where it ends up in Firefox but in Mozilla Suite
    (SeaMonkey) it's on the Tools menu. You'll have about 5 or 6 to choose
    from and there is a way to add more. I use it mainly for testing WEb
    pages but there is a rare (for me) site that needs to have me "spoof" my
    UA string so that the site thinks I'm using IE.

    >>>Also, I have a Thunderbird question, if you don't mind.
    >>>
    >>>Is there a setting that I can use, to tell Thunderbird
    >>>to retrieve all email, as soon as it loads. Right now,
    >>>it tells me if there is mail on the server, but I want
    >>>it to go and get it immediately, upon loading, like I
    >>>has OE doing. I can't find this setting in the
    >>>options.

    >>Tools - Account Settings. For each account (under Server Settings) you
    >>can set what actions take place on load. "Check for new messages at
    >>startup" and "Automatically download new messages" is what you need to
    >>look at.

    > Excellent! Thank you!
    >

    >>>Also, does Thunderbird take a long time to load
    >>>for anyone else?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks! :)
    >>>

    >>Relative to what? I could tell you how long it takes /my/ TB to load
    >>but there are a many factors to consider:

    > Relative to anything else I load. :)
    >

    >>- Processor speed

    > 1.3 GHz
    >

    >>- OS version

    > XP Pro - SP2
    >

    >>- Amount of RAM

    > 512 MB
    >

    >>- Number and which extensions installed

    > 1.0.2 (no extensions installed)
    >
    > Btw, I heard tell of 1.0.4, but when I have TBird check
    > for an update, it says I have the newest version.

    1.0.4 is the last release version for the Firefox browser. The last
    release for TB is 1.0.2.

    >>- Other programs resident or running

    > Same as with OE and nothing that would
    > interfere with an email program. My antivirus
    > software would obviously delay my seeing
    > messages right away, but I am talking about
    > just getting the program screen up and the
    > buttons not grayed out. The AV message
    > scanning delays any email program, so I'm
    > not concerned with that.
    >

    >>- Speed of Internet connection

    > Cable modem. But that shouldn't matter,
    > since it wasn't set to check for messages
    > automatically until you told me how. :)
    >

    >>Post yours, along with TB's time from launch
    >>to stable state. You'll likely get lots of answers
    >>to compare.

    > Between 15 - 20 seconds for TBird, vs 3 seconds
    > for OE.

    Ahhh! You want to compare OE and TB. I see. I believe OE relies in
    part on code that is resident when Windows loads, as IE does. So there
    is a difference because TB must load everything when launched and OE/IE
    already has some portion of the code it needs sitting there in memory.
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong about OE but that's the way it is
    with IE.

    FWIW, TB here takes about 8 seconds to go from launch to ready state. I
    have only the "about:config" extension in TB and it does not check for
    anything on loading; I use it only for testing. OE takes about 6
    seconds and it, too, doesn't do anything other than load.

    933 MHz, 512 Mb, Windows XP Home. And I have a variety of things
    resident including a calendar pgm, Norton A/V (and a couple other Norton
    utilities), AIM, Tivo Server, encryption pgm, Explorer utility, backup
    scheduler, Winamp agent, etc.

    > Btw, I am not computer illiterate. I have been
    > a tech for over 20 years. That does not mean
    > however, that I am familiar with every term
    > found in every piece of software and frankly,
    > the destructions are usually written in a fashion
    > that assumes that the person reading them
    > was the instructor of the programmer when
    > he/she went to college. :) Kind of like when
    > I was a Fido Hub for Pinellas County and had
    > to set up GEcho. :)

    Software documentation has done nothing but go downhill into a huge
    crevasse for the last ten years. If it weren't for Google and
    newsgroups I think most computer users would just turn them off and
    start knitting. Or something. So I'm sure you are computer literate.
    And stuck like the rest of us constantly trying to puzzle these things
    out! Oh well. Keeps me off the streets at night. :-D

    Ed Mullen, Jul 8, 2005
  16. Clydester

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:56:40 +0200, Arne
    <> spake thusly:

    >Once upon a time *Pastor Dave* wrote:
    >> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:54:02 +0200, Arne
    >> <> spake thusly:

    >>>At least in the Suite it goes back to "Real UA" when you close the
    >>>browser, if you don't change it back your self.

    >> Suite???

    >http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

    Cool. :) Didn't even know it existed.

    Pastor Dave, Jul 8, 2005
  17. Clydester

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:33:33 -0400, Ed Mullen
    <> spake thusly:

    >> So if I were to install this, then it would add
    >> another setting into the options menu, giving
    >> me some choices regarding this?

    >Yes. Can't remember where it ends up in Firefox but in Mozilla Suite
    >(SeaMonkey) it's on the Tools menu. You'll have about 5 or 6 to choose
    >from and there is a way to add more. I use it mainly for testing WEb
    >pages but there is a rare (for me) site that needs to have me "spoof" my
    >UA string so that the site thinks I'm using IE.

    Mozilla Suite, I assume, is Firefox and TB
    and an IRC client (name?) put together?
    I hear there is also an HTML editor?

    Pastor Dave, Jul 8, 2005
  18. Clydester

    Pun Krocker Guest

    In article <>, news-group-
    says...
    > Mozilla Suite, I assume, is Firefox and TB
    > and an IRC client (name?) put together?
    > I hear there is also an HTML editor?

    Moz suite was before FF and TB.

    --
    d{ô_ô}b PK

    "Some mornings, it's just not worth
    chewing through the leather straps."
    Pun Krocker, Jul 8, 2005
  19. Clydester

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 22:58:15 +0100, Pun Krocker
    <> spake thusly:

    >In article <>, news-group-
    > says...
    >> Mozilla Suite, I assume, is Firefox and TB
    >> and an IRC client (name?) put together?
    >> I hear there is also an HTML editor?
    >>

    >Moz suite was before FF and TB.

    So it does not contain Firefox and TB? Those two
    programs are not independent versions of the
    components of the suite?

    Pastor Dave, Jul 8, 2005
  20. Pastor Dave wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 22:58:15 +0100, Pun Krocker
    > <> spake thusly:
    >

    >>In article <>, news-group-
    >> says...
    >>

    >>Moz suite was before FF and TB.

    > So it does not contain Firefox and TB? Those two
    > programs are not independent versions of the
    > components of the suite?

    No, Firefox and Thunderbird were rebuilt from scratch to replace the
    Suite, which many people were beginning to feel was bloatware. The core
    HTML interpreter, called Gecko, is the same, but the front end is very
    different. The suite is a single big application that has a browser,
    email and news reader, HTML editor (not a very good one, unfortunately,
    as the engine was designed for rich text email rather than actual web
    pages), IRC client (available as an extension for Firefox), and a couple
    other things. It has a ton of features built-in that you need
    extensions for in Firefox, and the preferences dialog gives you detailed
    control of just about everything---good for power users, overwhelming
    for normal people. If you've ever used Netscape Communicator, the Suite
    is basically the same thing---in fact Netscape 6 and 7 were just
    rebranded versions of the Suite with an AIM client added.

    However, Firefox and Thunderbird have some things the Suite doesn't.
    The Suite doesn't handle extensions well---Firefox and Thunderbird can
    handle dozens of extensions, the Suite starts to destabilize after just
    two or three, and there's no way to uninstall extensions from the Suite
    once you install them. The Suite does not have customizable toolbars,
    although there are some options in the preferences dialog to show and
    hide a few specific buttons. The Suite also does not have the ability
    to check for updates. Generally speaking, the Suite is somewhat less
    user-friendly, catering more to power users than the masses.

    Mozilla is phasing out support for the Suite, 1.7 is the last official
    version (they will continue to release any necessary security updates
    for awhile still). However, there's an independant group continuing
    development under the name SeaMonkey (which was always the Suite's
    internal codename, but was never used publically).

    --
    Ryukage
    Damian Dollahite, Jul 9, 2005