IE v6 on XP-Pro-SP2 won't render .mht documents - why?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hummingbird, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    Help appreciated...
    I save a lot of webpages in the form of x.mht for reading later or
    keeping on my HDD etc. IE allows this as an alternative to saving in
    ..html format which can be messy and often splits up the content
    into multiple folders etc.

    Since I've installed XP-Pro SP2, I cannot get IE (or Avant) to render
    my huge collection of .mht docs - IE/Avant just sit there and do
    nothing. I have the .mht file association set ok I think.

    I gather .mht stands for 'Mime HTML' but that doesn't add to my
    overall knowledge of what's wrong.

    Is there an XP Service which is needed for this? which maybe I've
    turned off? Is there some other setting I've not noticed?

    It's a complete mystery...

    hummingbird, Aug 26, 2005

  2. hummingbird

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:38:00 +0100, hummingbird <>
    wrote:

    >Help appreciated...
    >I save a lot of webpages in the form of x.mht for reading later or
    >keeping on my HDD etc. IE allows this as an alternative to saving in
    >.html format which can be messy and often splits up the content
    >into multiple folders etc.
    >
    >Since I've installed XP-Pro SP2, I cannot get IE (or Avant) to render
    >my huge collection of .mht docs - IE/Avant just sit there and do
    >nothing. I have the .mht file association set ok I think.
    >
    >I gather .mht stands for 'Mime HTML' but that doesn't add to my
    >overall knowledge of what's wrong.
    >
    >Is there an XP Service which is needed for this? which maybe I've
    >turned off? Is there some other setting I've not noticed?
    >
    >It's a complete mystery...

    Did you try opening IE and clicking <File> <Open>, then browsing to the
    location of the archive?

    Did you try saving a new archive from IE and then opening it?

    Harrison, Aug 26, 2005

  3. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:49:34 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:38:00 +0100, hummingbird <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Help appreciated...
    >>I save a lot of webpages in the form of x.mht for reading later or
    >>keeping on my HDD etc. IE allows this as an alternative to saving in
    >>.html format which can be messy and often splits up the content
    >>into multiple folders etc.
    >>
    >>Since I've installed XP-Pro SP2, I cannot get IE (or Avant) to render
    >>my huge collection of .mht docs - IE/Avant just sit there and do
    >>nothing. I have the .mht file association set ok I think.
    >>
    >>I gather .mht stands for 'Mime HTML' but that doesn't add to my
    >>overall knowledge of what's wrong.
    >>
    >>Is there an XP Service which is needed for this? which maybe I've
    >>turned off? Is there some other setting I've not noticed?
    >>
    >>It's a complete mystery...

    >Did you try opening IE and clicking <File> <Open>, then browsing to the
    >location of the archive?
    >
    >Did you try saving a new archive from IE and then opening it?

    Yes, I've tried both these things. Neither succeeded :-(
    Any more ideas? :)

    hummingbird, Aug 26, 2005
  4. hummingbird

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:53:41 +0100, hummingbird <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:49:34 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
    > mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
    >
    >>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:38:00 +0100, hummingbird <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Help appreciated...
    >>>I save a lot of webpages in the form of x.mht for reading later or
    >>>keeping on my HDD etc. IE allows this as an alternative to saving in
    >>>.html format which can be messy and often splits up the content
    >>>into multiple folders etc.
    >>>
    >>>Since I've installed XP-Pro SP2, I cannot get IE (or Avant) to render
    >>>my huge collection of .mht docs - IE/Avant just sit there and do
    >>>nothing. I have the .mht file association set ok I think.
    >>>
    >>>I gather .mht stands for 'Mime HTML' but that doesn't add to my
    >>>overall knowledge of what's wrong.
    >>>
    >>>Is there an XP Service which is needed for this? which maybe I've
    >>>turned off? Is there some other setting I've not noticed?
    >>>
    >>>It's a complete mystery...

    >>Did you try opening IE and clicking <File> <Open>, then browsing to the
    >>location of the archive?
    >>
    >>Did you try saving a new archive from IE and then opening it?

    >Yes, I've tried both these things. Neither succeeded :-(
    >Any more ideas? :)

    It's tied to Outlook Express as well.
    Have you removed OE or altered it any way?

    Harrison, Aug 26, 2005
  5. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:03:18 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:53:41 +0100, hummingbird <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:49:34 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
    >> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >>>Did you try opening IE and clicking <File> <Open>, then browsing to the
    >>>location of the archive?
    >>>
    >>>Did you try saving a new archive from IE and then opening it?

    >>Yes, I've tried both these things. Neither succeeded :-(
    >>Any more ideas? :)

    >It's tied to Outlook Express as well.
    >Have you removed OE or altered it any way?

    I don't actually use OE but it's installed as per SP2 basic
    installation procedures.

    hummingbird, Aug 26, 2005
  6. hummingbird

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:21:57 +0100, hummingbird <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:03:18 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
    > mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
    >
    >>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:53:41 +0100, hummingbird <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:49:34 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
    >>> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >>>Yes, I've tried both these things. Neither succeeded :-(
    >>>Any more ideas? :)

    >>It's tied to Outlook Express as well.
    >>Have you removed OE or altered it any way?

    >I don't actually use OE but it's installed as per SP2 basic
    >installation procedures.

    I knew you didn't use it from the headers.
    I was hoping you'd removed it in lieu of Agent or another client.

    Sorry - I'm stuck on this one.

    Harrison, Aug 27, 2005
  7. hummingbird

    Rob Parsons Guest

    I am making a guess but perhaps this may help

    On my machine (win2k) the is the following registry value for Internet
    Explorer

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML Editor

    (both HKCU and HKLM)

    Here is my contents of that node

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
    Editor]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
    Editor\shell]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
    Editor\shell\edit]
    @="&Edit"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
    Editor\shell\edit\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office10\\WINWORD.EXE\" /n /dde"
    "command"=hex(7):43,00,38,00,34,00,44,00,56,00,6e,00,2d,00,7d,00,66,00,28,00
    ,\

    59,00,52,00,5d,00,65,00,41,00,52,00,36,00,2e,00,6a,00,69,00,57,00,4f,00,52,\

    00,44,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,3e,00,4c,00,26,00,72,00,66,00,55,00,\

    6d,00,57,00,2e,00,63,00,47,00,2e,00,65,00,25,00,66,00,49,00,34,00,47,00,7d,\
    00,6a,00,64,00,20,00,2f,00,6e,00,20,00,2f,00,64,00,64,00,65,00,00,00,00,00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
    Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec]
    @="[REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen(\"%1\")]"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
    Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec\Application]
    @="WinWord"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
    Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec\Topic]
    @="System"

    Rob Parsons, Aug 27, 2005
  8. hummingbird

    Jon Kennedy Guest

    See Symptom 7 in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887797

    Or see this article for possible help:

    Images may appear as blank boxes when you view a Web archive (.mht) file in
    Windows XP with Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891019
    --

    Jon R. Kennedy
    Charlotte, NC, USA

    Jon Kennedy, Aug 27, 2005
  9. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:53:40 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:21:57 +0100, hummingbird <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:03:18 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
    >> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >>>It's tied to Outlook Express as well.
    >>>Have you removed OE or altered it any way?

    >>I don't actually use OE but it's installed as per SP2 basic
    >>installation procedures.

    >I knew you didn't use it from the headers.
    >I was hoping you'd removed it in lieu of Agent or another client.
    >
    >Sorry - I'm stuck on this one.

    Thanks anyway! Ideas were worthwhile.

    hummingbird, Aug 27, 2005