    Anyone have any idea how to fix this, it is not a big deal and only requires
    one extra click, but it previously worked correctly.

    Thanks guys.
    Jack B. Pollack, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Jack B. Pollack

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:51:15 -0400, "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote:

    >I am running Win98/Internet Explorer 6 and recently started having a strange
    >problem when I launch IE for the first time after a reboot it is always in
    >the 'Work Offline' mode. I click on 'Try again' and it connects.
    >
    >I am connected to the Net using DSL - PPOE through a router. The router is
    >set to always stay connected, and it is not a time out issue since I can
    >reboot 15 seconds after being connected and still revert back to the offline
    >mode in IE.
    >
    >I have tried checking and unchecking the 'Work offline' option in IE, but
    >still revert to offline after a reboot.
    >
    >I have tried resetting the registry value "GlobalUserOffline" and even tried
    >deleting it. Didn't help.
    >
    >My connection settings in IE are set to 'Never dial a connection'
    >
    >Anyone have any idea how to fix this, it is not a big deal and only requires
    >one extra click, but it previously worked correctly.
    >
    >Thanks guys.

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel
    Double Click "Add/Remove Programs" Icon
    Click the "Install/Uninstall" tab
    Scroll down to "Microsoft Interner Explorer, and double click it.
    A new box open up: Click "Repair Internet Explorer"
    Unk, May 1, 2004

  3. I, also, have this problem and the only way I could get anything to
    work online is to go to Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>Lan
    Settings>Automatically detect settings. I must launch Internet Explorer
    before I check my mail with Mail Washer, EZAV Autodownload, etc. The
    Microsoft Q instructions did not work for me.....;o( Your mileage may
    vary. I am running XP Professional with all of the critical updates
    except for the Windows Media Player updates. I don't use it and have
    uninstalled it. Good luck....;o)

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, May 1, 2004
  4. Jack B. Pollack

    Unk Guest

    Have you run the Network Wizard?
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, New Connection
    Wizard. Next, "Connect to the Internet", Next, "Setup my connection
    manually", and pick your type of connection.

    Unk, May 1, 2004
  5. Yep....;o(

    Unk <> chiseled in stone, the following words

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, May 1, 2004
  6. Jack B. Pollack

    Unk Guest

    One more place....
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, double-click
    "Local Area Connection", "Support" tab, click the "Repair" button.

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 01:08:44 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee"

    Unk, May 1, 2004
  7. Jack B. Pollack

    Unk Guest

    Sometimes you have to run "ipconfig" and "Release", then "Renew" your NIC's
    IP address. XP's "ipconfig" is a PIA as you have to run it from a CMD
    prompt, so download Microsoft's IPConfig Utility for Windows 2k, NT, XP.
    It's called "Wntipcfg.exe" and it's just like the "Winipcfg.exe" in Windows
    98 and runs directly from Windows.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp

    Unk, May 1, 2004
  8. Nope, doesn't work. I tried both suggestions again for schitts and
    grins....;o(

    Thanks for the help "irregardless".....;oD

    > One more place....
    > Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, double-
    > click "Local Area Connection", "Support" tab, click the "Repair"
    > button.

    > On Sat, 01 May 2004 01:08:44 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote:
    >>Yep....;o(

    >>Unk chiseled in stone, the following words:
    >>> Have you run the Network Wizard?
    >>> Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, New
    >>> Connection Wizard. Next, "Connect to the Internet", Next, "Setup
    >>> my connection manually", and pick your type of connection.

    <schnippen>

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, May 1, 2004
  9. I'm ass-u-me ing, the command I type, CMD, then "ipconfig /release
    *Con*" then "ipconfig /renew" does this? Or am I missing
    something?.....;oD

    PS It's morning now and I've gotten a little sleep....;o) I couldn't
    install Wntipcfg.exe. I get an error: "Error reading from file:
    C:\Docume~1\Rosee\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\WntIpcfg.msi. Verify that
    the file exists and that you can access it." On a retry, I get Internal
    Error 2755. 1622, C:\DOCUME~1\Rosee\LOCAL~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP
    \WntIpcfg.msi I've gotten this error once before and searched Google for
    "Error reading from file", "Verify that the file exists and that you can
    access it.", "Internal Error 2755", "Internal Error 1622."
    The search turned up nothing applicable to my problem, other than it
    happens when installing a program.

    I will try a few more things on these searches, when my mom has been
    moved. I'm waiting on them to load said 24 foot truck, as I am the
    only one authorized to drive it. Lucky me....my demise for being an
    only child....;o/

    > Sometimes you have to run "ipconfig" and "Release", then "Renew" your
    > NIC's IP address. XP's "ipconfig" is a PIA as you have to run it
    > from a CMD prompt, so download Microsoft's IPConfig Utility for
    > Windows 2k, NT, XP. It's called "Wntipcfg.exe" and it's just like the
    > "Winipcfg.exe" in Windows 98 and runs directly from Windows.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wn

    > ipcfg-o.asp

    > On Sat, 01 May 2004 01:08:44 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote:
    >>Yep....;o(

    <schnippen>

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, May 1, 2004
  10. Jack B. Pollack

    Unk Guest

    Create a new folder (C:\Utilities)
    Right-click the link and "Save as..." to C:\Utilities
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...ntipcfg/1.00.0.1/nt5/en-us/WntIpcfg_setup.exe
    Then install it from there. If it STILL fails to install, you have a more
    serious problem.
    If it installs, run it and click "Release All". When all the addresses go to
    zeros, click "Renew All"

    Rosee, when I've come across this problem on the bench, I've always managed
    to restore internet connectability. As a last resort, delete your "Local
    Area Connection", and run the Network Wizard to create a new one.

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 10:35:35 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee"

    Unk, May 1, 2004
  11. Will try this tomorrow, after I help mom unpack. I'm too tired at
    present to even comprehend anything. Thank you very much for your
    suggestions.

    I hope it works, as I don't need any more "serious problems" with
    XP Professional. This operating system is the pits....;o( I
    didn't have near as much trouble from Win98SE......;o/

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, May 2, 2004
  12. Jack B. Pollack

    Boomer Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> did say:

    > Will try this tomorrow, after I help mom unpack. I'm too tired at
    > present to even comprehend anything. Thank you very much for your
    > suggestions.
    >
    > I hope it works, as I don't need any more "serious problems" with
    > XP Professional. This operating system is the pits....;o( I
    > didn't have near as much trouble from Win98SE......;o/

    Agreed! That's why I have stuck with Win98.

    But before long... you will be an XP Pro :)

    It's a heck of an ordeal... but can be done. I 'fought' with XP for
    about 3 months.

    So glad to be back to 98.
    Boomer, May 2, 2004
  13. You think, "Will this schitt EVER end?

    I'm just about a nat's hair from throwing all and sundry out the
    phucking window. I just thought I wanted to be a computer guru.
    Yeah, riiiiight....;o(

    I am not pleased with XP and will build myself a personal computer
    with Win2000 for a Windows platform and keep my Linux box up and
    running. I am dreading the day when Longhorn is available on the
    shelves, and I must troubleshoot that next piece of schitt....
    sheesh!!!!...;o/

    Boomer <> chiseled in stone, the following
    words news:4094475f$0$178$:

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, May 2, 2004
  14. Jack B. Pollack

    Boomer Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> did say:

    > You think, "Will this schitt EVER end?
    >
    > I'm just about a nat's hair from throwing all and sundry out the
    > phucking window. I just thought I wanted to be a computer guru.
    > Yeah, riiiiight....;o(
    >
    > I am not pleased with XP and will build myself a personal computer
    > with Win2000 for a Windows platform and keep my Linux box up and
    > running. I am dreading the day when Longhorn is available on the
    > shelves, and I must troubleshoot that next piece of schitt....
    > sheesh!!!!...;o/

    Bill G. needs all the help he can get. Free, to him of course.
    But.. to you...

    Mantra "It pays the rent". "It pays the rent".

    Boomer, May 2, 2004
  15. Rent schment. I could make more money cleaning newly built homes in
    the big city, but I physically can't lift the weight I did at one time.
    My hip and knee can't take it. I have a birth defect making my hip
    higher and my leg shorter than most folks and it has caught up with me.
    I inherited it from my dad....bless his "big ol' pea-pickin' heart".
    He's had to have surgery on his knee. I sure I'm headed that way....
    ;o( I'll get through Longhorn somehow and all of the others after that
    one, but I ain't looking forward to it....;o/

    Boomer <> chiseled in stone, the following
    words news:409453ab$0$178$:

    @}-}-------Rosee, May 2, 2004
  16. Jack B. Pollack

    Boomer Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> did say:

    > Rent schment. I could make more money cleaning newly built homes
    > in the big city,

    True. But there's that price ya gotta pay for living there.
    I'd rather live past the 'burbs and tackle the longhorns. ;)

    > but I physically can't lift the weight I did at
    > one time. My hip and knee can't take it. I have a birth defect
    > making my hip higher and my leg shorter than most folks and it has
    > caught up with me. I inherited it from my dad....bless his "big
    > ol' pea-pickin' heart". He's had to have surgery on his knee. I
    > sure I'm headed that way.... ;o(

    We are all 'blessed' by our ancestors!

    > I'll get through Longhorn
    > somehow and all of the others after that one, but I ain't looking
    > forward to it....;o/

    I understand. I fought dang XP for days. Longhorn seems like the
    correct name to me. But it's bringing in your bacon. Look on the
    bright side. :)

    Boomer, May 2, 2004
  17. Jack B. Pollack

    Trent© Guest

    wrote:

    >I am running Win98/Internet Explorer 6 and recently started having a strange
    >problem when I launch IE for the first time after a reboot it is always in
    >the 'Work Offline' mode. I click on 'Try again' and it connects.

    Does your mail work the very first time?

    >I am connected to the Net using DSL - PPOE through a router. The router is
    >set to always stay connected, and it is not a time out issue since I can
    >reboot 15 seconds after being connected and still revert back to the offline
    >mode in IE.

    When you first boot up the computer, go to the command prompt and do a
    ping of a site not on your local LAN...Google, Yahoo, etc. This'll
    tell you if you have an actual connection problem...which could simply
    be a router problem...or if you have a software (IE) problem.

    Also, make sure yer able to access the configuration program for the
    router.

    >I have tried checking and unchecking the 'Work offline' option in IE, but
    >still revert to offline after a reboot.

    >I have tried resetting the registry value "GlobalUserOffline" and even tried
    >deleting it. Didn't help.
    >
    >My connection settings in IE are set to 'Never dial a connection'

    Then you have something wrong in your setup. You should not have this
    option. You should only have Lan settings options...and that should
    be set to 'Automatically detect'.

    Make sure you don't have a dial-up adaptor still installed.

    Good luck...let us know.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 2, 2004
  18. The XP registry has to be cleaned quite frequently, I've found...and
    it's NOT as forgiving as 98SE dpa;d049, and it really doesn't help
    when Miss Kitty has decided to hijack my keyboard because she wants
    fresh water in the bathtub.

    Inline:

    Boomer <> chiseled in stone, the
    following words news:409463a2$0$178$
    freenews.net:

    > "@}-}-------Rosee" did say:
    >> Rent schment. I could make more money cleaning newly built homes
    >> in the big city,

    > True. But there's that price ya gotta pay for living there.
    > I'd rather live past the 'burbs and tackle the longhorns. ;)

    I keep telling myself this....;o)

    >> but I physically can't lift the weight I did at
    >> one time. My hip and knee can't take it. I have a birth defect
    >> making my hip higher and my leg shorter than most folks and it has
    >> caught up with me. I inherited it from my dad....bless his "big
    >> ol' pea-pickin' heart". He's had to have surgery on his knee. I
    >> sure I'm headed that way.... ;o(

    > We are all 'blessed' by our ancestors!

    I was really, REALLY blessed.

    >> I'll get through Longhorn
    >> somehow and all of the others after that one, but I ain't looking
    >> forward to it....;o/

    > I understand. I fought dang XP for days. Longhorn seems like the
    > correct name to me. But it's bringing in your bacon. Look on the
    > bright side. :)

    I must tell myself this also....;oD

    <schnippen>

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, May 2, 2004
  19. Nada.....still looking though.....;o(

    @}-}-------Rosee, May 3, 2004
  20. Can ping sites on the net just fine. Email works fine on first try. No other
    dial-up connections present. Web browser can browse router config pages.

    Thanks

    Jack B. Pollack, May 3, 2004