    scans yet nothing is coming up as well as no virus, so what other
    explanations could there be? Am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks for any help given.

    Chad, Nov 6, 2005

  2. Chad

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Chad wrote:
    > I ahve IE6 on Windows XP. Everytime I activate IE and once the home
    > page loads up I put in a new address like hotmail.com IE just stalls.
    > I have no idea why so I keep on sending the error report. Recently I
    > get a link now that kinda gives me an idea of what is happening. The
    > link stipulates that it is tough to offer an explanation for the
    > problem but it could be spyware or ads or even a virus! So I have Ad
    > Aware as well as Spybot and Spyware blaster, as well as Mcafee and
    > all are updated every week, Ive ran all the scans yet nothing is
    > coming up as well as no virus, so what other explanations could there
    > be? Am I doing something wrong?
    > Thanks for any help given.

    Best solution?

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 6, 2005

  3. Chad

    Alt/Ctrl/Del Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Chad wrote:
    >> I ahve IE6 on Windows XP. Everytime I activate IE and once the home
    >> page loads up I put in a new address like hotmail.com IE just stalls.
    >> I have no idea why so I keep on sending the error report. Recently I
    >> get a link now that kinda gives me an idea of what is happening. The
    >> link stipulates that it is tough to offer an explanation for the
    >> problem but it could be spyware or ads or even a virus! So I have Ad
    >> Aware as well as Spybot and Spyware blaster, as well as Mcafee and
    >> all are updated every week, Ive ran all the scans yet nothing is
    >> coming up as well as no virus, so what other explanations could there
    >> be? Am I doing something wrong?
    >> Thanks for any help given.

    > Best solution?
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    >
    > --
    > There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking
    > like an idiot.

    Tim,

    How come you never recommend Opera, it is free now. It is faster than
    Firefox in just about every test in every category that I've ever seen
    that has been tested. You can install an ad-blocker for free called the
    Opera Ad Filter that is just as good as Firefox's. It is just as secure
    as Firefox concerning all the adware, malware, etc... And to me, since
    Firefox is really more tuned for Linux and Opera is designed to work
    better on Windows, I pick Opera. And Firefox really seems to be a major
    memory sucker.

    And, of course, they both have IE beat hands down.

    http://www.opera.com/download/

    Alt.

    Alt/Ctrl/Del, Nov 6, 2005
  4. Chad

    PC Guest

    "Alt/Ctrl/Del" <Alt/Ctrl/Del/@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net> wrote in
    message news:Gmvbf.5106$...

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Chad wrote:
    >>> I ahve IE6 on Windows XP. Everytime I activate IE and once the home
    >>> page loads up I put in a new address like hotmail.com IE just stalls.
    >>> I have no idea why so I keep on sending the error report. Recently I
    >>> get a link now that kinda gives me an idea of what is happening. The
    >>> link stipulates that it is tough to offer an explanation for the
    >>> problem but it could be spyware or ads or even a virus! So I have Ad
    >>> Aware as well as Spybot and Spyware blaster, as well as Mcafee and
    >>> all are updated every week, Ive ran all the scans yet nothing is
    >>> coming up as well as no virus, so what other explanations could there
    >>> be? Am I doing something wrong?
    >>> Thanks for any help given.

    >> Best solution?
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    >>
    >> --
    >> There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking
    >> like an idiot.

    > Tim,
    >
    > How come you never recommend Opera, it is free now. It is faster than
    > Firefox in just about every test in every category that I've ever seen
    > that has been tested. You can install an ad-blocker for free called the
    > Opera Ad Filter that is just as good as Firefox's. It is just as secure
    > as Firefox concerning all the adware, malware, etc... And to me, since
    > Firefox is really more tuned for Linux and Opera is designed to work
    > better on Windows, I pick Opera. And Firefox really seems to be a major
    > memory sucker.
    >
    > And, of course, they both have IE beat hands down.
    >
    > http://www.opera.com/download/
    >
    > Alt.

    Alt

    Don't know if TT will respond but in my opinion:

    Of all the 'alternative' Browsers Firefox is the best and has the least
    compatibility issues.

    Opera is a great Browser, especially now it is totally free.
    However as long as the PC it is on is reasonably peppy speed is of no
    consequence, compatibility is.

    Recently I installed Opera for the first time on both my and my wife's
    'surfing' PC's.
    Both installations went fine, but as time went by the main conclussion 'we'
    reached was the niggling things it didn't quite get right spoiled the
    experience.
    My wife had made Opera her default Browser but after a couple of weeks
    turned it back to IE.

    Like all things YMMV (your mileage may vary)

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Nov 7, 2005
  5. Chad

    PC Guest

    "Chad" <> wrote in message
    >I ahve IE6 on Windows XP. Everytime I activate IE and once the home page
    >loads up I put in a new address like hotmail.com IE just stalls. I have no
    >idea why so I keep on sending the error report. Recently I get a link now
    >that kinda gives me an idea of what is happening. The link stipulates that
    >it is tough to offer an explanation for the problem but it could be spyware
    >or ads or even a virus! So I have Ad Aware as well as Spybot and Spyware
    >blaster, as well as Mcafee and all are updated every week, Ive ran all the
    >scans yet nothing is coming up as well as no virus, so what other
    >explanations could there be? Am I doing something wrong?
    >
    > Thanks for any help given.

    Clear the temporary files out : Tools, Internet Options, 'Delete Files' in
    the middle.

    Reboot into safe mode (F8 on startup) and do your scans there.

    Repair IE: Control Panel, Add Remove programs, click to 'remove' IE and you
    should get the option to 'Repair'

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Nov 7, 2005
  6. Chad

    Toolman Tim Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "Alt/Ctrl/Del" <Alt/Ctrl/Del/@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net>
    > wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Best solution?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore
    >>> looking like an idiot.

    >> Tim,
    >>
    >> How come you never recommend Opera, it is free now. It is faster
    >> than Firefox in just about every test in every category that I've
    >> ever seen that has been tested. You can install an ad-blocker for
    >> free called the Opera Ad Filter that is just as good as Firefox's. It is
    >> just as secure as Firefox concerning all the adware, malware,
    >> etc... And to me, since Firefox is really more tuned for Linux and
    >> Opera is designed to work better on Windows, I pick Opera. And
    >> Firefox really seems to be a major memory sucker.
    >>
    >> And, of course, they both have IE beat hands down.
    >>
    >> http://www.opera.com/download/
    >>
    >> Alt.
    >>

    > Alt
    >
    > Don't know if TT will respond but in my opinion:
    >
    > Of all the 'alternative' Browsers Firefox is the best and has the
    > least compatibility issues.
    >
    > Opera is a great Browser, especially now it is totally free.
    > However as long as the PC it is on is reasonably peppy speed is of no
    > consequence, compatibility is.
    >
    > Recently I installed Opera for the first time on both my and my wife's
    > 'surfing' PC's.
    > Both installations went fine, but as time went by the main
    > conclussion 'we' reached was the niggling things it didn't quite get
    > right spoiled the experience.
    > My wife had made Opera her default Browser but after a couple of weeks
    > turned it back to IE.
    >
    > Like all things YMMV (your mileage may vary)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Correct - I can't say Opera has any significant issues, as I only used it
    for a short time. I found some web pages I use frequently were not handled
    correctly (specifically, my online banking and bill payment sites.)
    Compatibility was the issue, but I haven't tried 8.5, so it's very likely
    they've been working on that.

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2005
  7. Chad

    > PC wrote:
    >> "Alt/Ctrl/Del" <Alt/Ctrl/Del/@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net>
    >> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> Tim,
    >>>
    >>> How come you never recommend Opera, it is free now. It is faster
    >>> than Firefox in just about every test in every category that I've
    >>> ever seen that has been tested. You can install an ad-blocker for
    >>> free called the Opera Ad Filter that is just as good as Firefox's. It
    >>> is just as secure as Firefox concerning all the adware, malware,
    >>> etc... And to me, since Firefox is really more tuned for Linux and
    >>> Opera is designed to work better on Windows, I pick Opera. And
    >>> Firefox really seems to be a major memory sucker.
    >>>
    >>> And, of course, they both have IE beat hands down.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.opera.com/download/
    >>>
    >>> Alt.
    >>>

    >> Alt
    >>
    >> Don't know if TT will respond but in my opinion:
    >>
    >> Of all the 'alternative' Browsers Firefox is the best and has the
    >> least compatibility issues.
    >>
    >> Opera is a great Browser, especially now it is totally free.
    >> However as long as the PC it is on is reasonably peppy speed is of no
    >> consequence, compatibility is.
    >>
    >> Recently I installed Opera for the first time on both my and my wife's
    >> 'surfing' PC's.
    >> Both installations went fine, but as time went by the main
    >> conclussion 'we' reached was the niggling things it didn't quite get
    >> right spoiled the experience.
    >> My wife had made Opera her default Browser but after a couple of weeks
    >> turned it back to IE.
    >>
    >> Like all things YMMV (your mileage may vary)
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul.

    > Correct - I can't say Opera has any significant issues, as I only used
    > it for a short time. I found some web pages I use frequently were not
    > handled correctly (specifically, my online banking and bill payment
    > sites.) Compatibility was the issue, but I haven't tried 8.5, so it's
    > very likely they've been working on that.
    >
    > --

    Paul, Toolman,
    There is a setting now in Opera 8.5 to "identify" itself as IE 6, Mozilla,
    or just Opera. I am not sure if this was in a previous version of Opera
    or not. I quit using it way back in '95 or so and just recently picked it
    back up when it was offered for free again. I don't do any banking or
    anything online so I am not sure if those type of deals would view right
    without IE, I know a lot of them are specifically designed to work only
    with IE.

    Alt.

    Alt/Ctrl/Del, Nov 7, 2005
  8. Chad

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Alt/Ctrl/Del wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> PC wrote:
    >>> "Alt/Ctrl/Del" <Alt/Ctrl/Del/@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net>
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> Alt
    >>>
    >>> Don't know if TT will respond but in my opinion:
    >>>
    >>> Of all the 'alternative' Browsers Firefox is the best and has the
    >>> least compatibility issues.
    >>>
    >>> Opera is a great Browser, especially now it is totally free.
    >>> However as long as the PC it is on is reasonably peppy speed is of
    >>> no consequence, compatibility is.
    >>>
    >>> Recently I installed Opera for the first time on both my and my
    >>> wife's 'surfing' PC's.
    >>> Both installations went fine, but as time went by the main
    >>> conclussion 'we' reached was the niggling things it didn't quite get
    >>> right spoiled the experience.
    >>> My wife had made Opera her default Browser but after a couple of
    >>> weeks turned it back to IE.
    >>>
    >>> Like all things YMMV (your mileage may vary)
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Paul.

    >> Correct - I can't say Opera has any significant issues, as I only
    >> used it for a short time. I found some web pages I use frequently
    >> were not handled correctly (specifically, my online banking and bill
    >> payment sites.) Compatibility was the issue, but I haven't tried
    >> 8.5, so it's very likely they've been working on that.
    >>
    >> --

    > Paul, Toolman,
    > There is a setting now in Opera 8.5 to "identify" itself as IE 6,
    > Mozilla, or just Opera. I am not sure if this was in a previous
    > version of Opera or not. I quit using it way back in '95 or so and
    > just recently picked it back up when it was offered for free again. I
    > don't do any banking or anything online so I am not sure if those
    > type of deals would view right without IE, I know a lot of them are
    > specifically designed to work only with IE.
    >
    > Alt.

    Yeah - erroneously they seem to think that IE is the only important browser
    out there. Then again, even with IE some of those idiot web programmers do
    stupid things. Like one site I pay bills on: I log in, I click on "Pay
    bill", and they pop-up a new instance of IE. I pay my bill. I have to log
    out TWICE - once for each instance. How stupid is that?

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2005
  9. Chad

    > Yeah - erroneously they seem to think that IE is the only important
    > browser out there. Then again, even with IE some of those idiot web
    > programmers do stupid things. Like one site I pay bills on: I log in, I
    > click on "Pay bill", and they pop-up a new instance of IE. I pay my
    > bill. I have to log out TWICE - once for each instance. How stupid is
    > that?
    >
    > --

    Very stupid, TWICE stupid. Who knows, they may do stuff like that just to
    piss people off and they know that people have no other choice if they
    wish to use the banking system online.

    Alt.

    Alt/Ctrl/Del, Nov 7, 2005
  10. Chad

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Alt/Ctrl/Del wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Yeah - erroneously they seem to think that IE is the only important
    >> browser out there. Then again, even with IE some of those idiot web
    >> programmers do stupid things. Like one site I pay bills on: I log
    >> in, I click on "Pay bill", and they pop-up a new instance of IE. I
    >> pay my bill. I have to log out TWICE - once for each instance. How
    >> stupid is that?
    >>
    >> --

    > Very stupid, TWICE stupid. Who knows, they may do stuff like that
    > just to piss people off and they know that people have no other
    > choice if they wish to use the banking system online.
    >
    > Alt.

    Stupid, agreed. Why? Most likely nothing dastardly. They probably don't know
    how to do web pages without pre-programmed scripts that run only in IE. It's
    like not knowing how to use anything but Microsoft's products. I use three
    different word processors, based on what I'm trying to do. (And MS Word is
    the one I use least <g>)

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2005
  11. I have IE, Opera and Firefox. Firefox wins hands down.

    Super Duper MMI, Nov 8, 2005
  12. Chad

    Trax Guest

    "Super Duper MMI" <> wrote:

    |>I have IE, Opera and Firefox. Firefox wins hands down.

    I use Opera and like (and miss with Firefox) the ability to hold my
    mouse over a link and read the address (tooltip type balloon) - rather
    than having to go to the site first and read the address bar.

    That is one big advantage Opera has over Firefox. I know where I'm
    going or what is going to run before I click on a link.

    --
    History's Worst Software Bugs
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/bugs/0,2924,69355,00.html

    Trax, Nov 8, 2005
  13. Chad

    Plato Guest

    Super Duper MMI wrote:

    > I have IE, Opera and Firefox. Firefox wins hands down.

    Grin. My current fav., and most used browser, is NS 7.2

    IT's pretty cool that at least was have a choice.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 8, 2005
  14. Chad

    Alt-Ctrl-Del Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > "Super Duper MMI" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I have IE, Opera and Firefox. Firefox wins hands down.
    > |>

    > I use Opera and like (and miss with Firefox) the ability to hold my
    > mouse over a link and read the address (tooltip type balloon) - rather
    > than having to go to the site first and read the address bar.
    >
    > That is one big advantage Opera has over Firefox. I know where I'm
    > going or what is going to run before I click on a link.

    For me, the biggest plus for Opera over Firefox is the speed at which
    Opera completes it's back and forward functions. You can click on the
    back or forward button in Firefox and it seems to hang for a second or two
    before it proceeds. No so with Opera, it immediately goes when you want
    it to go.

    I also tried Firefox 1.5 RC1 that caches your entire browsing history in
    RAM, and it was a little quicker than Firefox 1.0.7. But, man does it
    suck up the memory, big time. And it still just did not seem to render
    pages as quickly as Opera.

    Alt.

    Alt-Ctrl-Del, Nov 8, 2005