    am running IE 5.5 128 bit, Win 95, AVG Virus scan and Spybot. IE is set to
    not automatically download files.

    TIA

    Edge, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Edge

    mark mandel Guest

    "Edge" <> wrote in message
    news:LLcHc.72819$...
    > I read an article which stated that IE should not be used because of the

    its
    > security vulnerabilities, even with the latest MS patch. They

    specifically
    > mention Trojan horse vulnerability. Should I switch to another browser?

    > am running IE 5.5 128 bit, Win 95, AVG Virus scan and Spybot. IE is set

    > not automatically download files.
    >
    > TIA

    I happen to have and like Mozilla Firefox 0.9 but one reason is the faster
    downloading of pages, not the security concern you mention.

    mark mandel, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Edge

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I use IE and it isn't perfect but if you got a good firewall and AV running
    you should be ok. Also you should upgrade to IE 6, 5.5 has loads of
    vulnerabilities.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jul 8, 2004
  4. Edge

    colin Guest

    Lloyd Jones <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I use IE and it isn't perfect but if you got a good firewall and AV

    running
    > you should be ok. Also you should upgrade to IE 6, 5.5 has loads of
    > vulnerabilities.
    >
    > LJ

    Didn`t like the install of IE6..kept pestering for a connection to the
    internet.

    colin, Jul 8, 2004
  5. colin wrote:

    > Lloyd Jones <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I use IE and it isn't perfect but if you got a good firewall and AV

    > running
    >
    >>you should be ok. Also you should upgrade to IE 6, 5.5 has loads of
    >>vulnerabilities.
    >>
    >>LJ
    >>

    > Didn`t like the install of IE6..kept pestering for a connection to the
    > internet.

    AFAIK all browsers have some vulnerabilities. This isn't just a browser
    issue but also an OS issue-the browser is simply one possible entry
    point into the OS. IE (particularly earlier versions) has more
    vulnerabilities than most but that doesn't mean that it can't be
    secured, just that it needs more updating & tweaking.

    OTOH any browser running on Windows will IMO require updating & tweaking
    to be secure-if not of the browser then certainly of Windows. (Tweaking
    would include running additional software/services such as anti-virus,
    firewall, anti-spyware, etc. Some of this should be standard-but based
    on real-world experience it sadly isn't.)

    Calvin Crumrine, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Edge

    Plato Guest

    Edge wrote:

    > I read an article which stated that IE should not be used because of the its
    > security vulnerabilities, even with the latest MS patch. They specifically
    > mention Trojan horse vulnerability. Should I switch to another browser? I
    > am running IE 5.5 128 bit, Win 95, AVG Virus scan and Spybot. IE is set to
    > not automatically download files.

    Try another browser. Cant hurt.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 8, 2004
  7. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > I happen to have and like Mozilla Firefox 0.9 but one reason is the
    > faster downloading of pages, not the security concern you mention.

    It wouldn't matter anyone, the OP says they have Win95, which Mozilla does
    not support.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk