IE Security settings disabled

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Duane Arnold, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Duane Arnold

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Jimmy <> wrote in news:uViPc.899$8F4.832@newsfe4-
    gui.ntli.net:

    > My IE6 security settings are greyed out, have ran updated ez antivirus,
    > adaware, spybot S&D, also have spyware blaster, custom hosts file and
    > list of sites blocked in privacy settings (paranoia), Installed all MS
    > security updates, what do I do?
    >

    > sensible advice appreciated

    There are articles out on Google on how to eradicate IE off of the
    machine so that it can be reinstalled. You may want to look at that as an
    alternative solution, if nothing else works.

    Duane :)

    Jimmy, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Duane Arnold

    Msgoodygal Guest

    It sounds like you have a browser hi-jacker...I ran into the same type
    of thing when trying to keep the computer at my sister's house
    maintained. The kids just LOVED Kazaa, AIM and Incredimail....
    Incredimail is EVIL once in the registry.

    My sister's computer had the browser setting hi-jacker, PLUS, spyware
    was coming up on scan - a 1000 at a time on a daily basis, even after
    removing them daily. They had pop-ups on top of pop-ups so that they
    couldn't browse the net anymore.

    Well, finally, a virus (or several) caused a them to need clean OS
    install on their system... This time, I uninstalled Internet Explorer,
    Outlook Express, Incredimail, and regular Kazaa. I totally removed the
    icons from their toolbar, start menu, and I disabled all that in their
    firewall.

    I installed Mozilla as their browser, and Thunderbird as their email
    application. I installed a different (clean) version of Kazaa, and a
    hacked version of AIM (the regular version is LOADED with spyware by the
    way)...

    It's been a few weeks now, and their spyware scans come up clean on a
    daily basis...

    Just giving you some ideas on how NOT to get into that same trouble
    again with the browser-hijacker again... Until Bill Gates and the bunch
    can offer a more secure, and head-ache free IE or mail system, get rid
    of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. And stay away from most
    freeware programs like AIM, Kazaa, Incredimail .... NOTHING is free
    when it can cost you your computer or internet connection takeovers.

    If you don't want to use Mozilla, use their Firefox browser, or Opera.

    Linda

    Msgoodygal, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Duane Arnold

    Jimmy Guest

    Thing is only I use the pc and 1% chance it is spyware/adware, having
    just done a fresh XP pro install. I'm baffeled

    Jimmy, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Duane Arnold

    Msgoodygal Guest

    HI Jimmy,

    By any chance do you use a program such as McAfee Privacy Service? I've
    seen that do it too since you have a clean install.

    Can you left click on the IE icon on your desktop? If so, go to
    properties/tools/and (I no longer have IE installed, so I'm trying to
    guess from memory, but I think this is it:) then go to the 'advanced'
    tab. Somewhere in there is an option to restore IE to defaults. That
    might work for you.

    Linda

    Msgoodygal, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Duane Arnold

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Jimmy - Try this for immediate relief. Download and run:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/iegentabs.reg from Kelly's site
    here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, Line 268.

    Note that this symptom often indicates the possibility of other malware.
    You might want go to this page at Jim Eshelman's site, here:
    http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm or here:
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/parasite.htm and wait a little bit (be
    patient), while an analysis of a number of possible parasites on your
    machine will be made to help you identify and remove them. NOTE: You will
    need to disable Ad Blocking in Zone Alarm 3.x, if present or any other Ad
    Blocking software which interferes with Java Scripting for this scan to
    work. You should get a message between the two lines of **** giving the
    results of the scan.

    Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs below, download
    both a copy of LSPFIX here:

    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    AND a copy of Winsockfix
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip

    The process of removing certain malware may kill your internet connection.
    If this should occur, these programs, LSPFIX and WINSOCKFIX, will enable you
    to regain your connection.

    In the following, all of these removal tools should be run from Safe mode
    when possible

    For the general hijack case, the best way to start is to get Ad-Aware 6.0,
    Build 181 or later, here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/.
    UPDATE and run this regularly to get rid of most "spyware/hijackware" on
    your machine. If it has to fix things, be sure to re-boot and rerun
    AdAware again and repeat this cycle until you get a clean scan. The reason
    is that it may have to remove things which are currently "in use" before it
    can then clean up others.

    Another excellent program for this purpose is SpyBot Search and Destroy
    available here: http://security.kolla.de/ SpyBot Support Forum here:
    http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi. I recommend
    using both normally. After UPDATING and fixing things with SpyBot S&D, be
    sure to re-boot and rerun SpyBot again and repeat this cycle until you get a
    clean "no red" scan. The reason is that SpyBot sometimes has to remove
    things which are currently "in use" before it can then clean up others.

    Note that sometimes you need to make a judgement call about what these
    programs report as spyware. See here, for example:
    http://www.imilly.com/alexa.htm

    A currently common parasite is some malware called CoolWebSearch. Do the
    following:

    Download, UPDATE before running, and run:
    http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe to remove the parasite.
    Be sure to close all instances of IE and OE. You may also get it here if
    that link is blocked: http://www.zerosrealm.com/downloads/CWShredder.zip

    BE SURE that you get v.1.59.0.1 or later!

    There's a good tutorial about CWS and using CWShredder here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=47#domain

    You will need to show Hidden files first and then at the end clear the
    malware garbage from your System Restore backups after you've cleaned up.
    It's best to perform CWShredder (and most other malware fixers too) from
    Safe mode and then reboot. AFTER cleaning things up, then you can disable
    and then re-enable System Restore. See ******** below.

    The following links give instructions on how to do these various functions:

    HOW TO Restart in Safe Mode
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406>

    HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339>

    HOW TO Disable/Flush System Restore (do this at the end AFTER cleaning or
    use the suggested procedure for XP at the ******'s)
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039>
    (WinXP)
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001012513122239>
    (WinME)

    Then download and run:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/iegentabs.reg to restore your
    tabs and remove any restrictions that the parasite has put in place.

    Now download and run:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/RestoreSearch2.REG to restore
    your search functions if they've been affected (as they probably will have
    been).

    Be sure that you also download and install hotfix Q816093, here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816093

    which blocks the exploit upon which this parasite family depends.

    If they don't fix it then start here:

    Download HijackThis, free, here:
    http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe (Always download a new
    fresh copy of HijackThis [and CWShredder also] - It's UPDATED frequently.)
    You may also get it here if that link is blocked:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3155&file=3&evp=3304750663b552982a8baee6434cfc13
    or here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/spyware/hijackthis.zip

    In Windows Explorer, click on Tools|Folder Options|View and check "Show
    hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system
    files". (You may want to restore these when you're all finished with
    HijackThis.)

    Place HijackThis.exe or unzip HijackThis.zip into its own dedicated folder
    at the root level such as C:\HijackThis (NOT in a Temp folder or on your
    Desktop), start it then press Scan. Click on SaveLog when it's finished
    which will create hijackthis.log. Now click the Config button, then Misc
    Tools and click on Generate StartupList.log which will create
    Startuplist.txt

    Then go to one of the following forums:

    Spyware and Hijackware Removal Support, here:
    http://216.180.233.162/~swicom/forums/

    or Net-Integration here:
    http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-...86d536d57b5f65b6e40c55365e;act=ST;f=27;t=6949

    or Tom Coyote here: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?act=idx

    or Jim Eshelman's site here: http://forum.aumha.org/

    or Bleepingcomputer here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

    Register if necessary, then sign in and READ THE DIRECTIONS at the beginning
    of the particular sites HiJackThis forum, then copy and paste both files
    into a message asking for assistance, Someone will answer with detailed
    instructions for the removal of your parasite(s). Be sure you include at
    the beginning of your post "What problem(s) you're trying to solve" and
    "What steps you've already taken."

    *******
    ONLY IF you've successfully eliminated the malware, you can now make a new,
    clean Restore Point and delete any previously saved (possibly infected)
    ones. The following suggested approach is courtesy of Gary Woodruff: For XP
    you can run a Disk Cleanup cycle and then look in the More Options tab. The
    System Restore option removes all but the latest Restore Point. If there
    hasn't been one made since the system was cleaned you should manually create
    one before dumping the old possibly infected ones.
    *******

    Once you get this cleaned up, you might want to consider installing the
    SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard here to help prevent this kind of thing from
    happening in the future:

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html (Prevents malware Active
    X installs) (BTW, SpyWareBlaster is not memory resident ... no CPU or memory
    load - but keep it UPDATED) The latest version as of this writing will
    prevent installation or prevent the malware from running if it is already
    installed, and it provides information and fixit-links for a variety of
    parasites.

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html (Monitors for attempts to
    install malware) Keep it UPDATED. Both Very Highly Recommended

    Finally, go to Windows Update and ensure that ALL Critical updates are
    installed.

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:m7wPc.1355$,
    Jimmy <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Aug 2, 2004
  7. Duane Arnold

    °Mike° Guest

    Are all MS-MVPs as verbose? 299 lines to say
    what could have been said in a dozen; or a
    simple web link?

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:03:17 -0700, in
    <>
    Jim Byrd scrawled:

    <snip>

    <**** huge snip ****>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 2, 2004
  8. Install and run CWShredder.

    Samuel Townsend, Aug 2, 2004
  9. Run CWShredder

    Samuel Townsend, Aug 2, 2004
  10. Run CWShredder

    Samuel Townsend, Aug 2, 2004
  11. Duane Arnold

    °Mike° Guest

    Huh? Why are you telling me this?

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:34:23 -0500, in
    <>
    Samuel Townsend scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 2, 2004
  12. Duane Arnold

    Jimmy Guest

    Jimmy, Aug 2, 2004
  13. Duane Arnold

    james benson Guest

    Still nothing useful to add ey
    Still got your finger up your but
    Gay boy mike

    james benson, Aug 3, 2004
  14. Duane Arnold

    °Mike° Guest

    The sign of a real moron; can only come up
    with slurs and insults. I pity you.

    On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 03:52:09 GMT, in
    <JZDPc.822$>
    james benson scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 3, 2004
  15. Duane Arnold

    james benson Guest

    Mike crawled up out of the card board box in the corner of the news group
    and croaked "I pity you" ribbit

    Obviously some kind of obsession of you'rs

    Check out the page dedicated to you mike
    http://uk.geocities.com/personelbum/maintenance.html bookmark it, may not
    work for 24hrs, use it as your personal signature if you like!!!

    james benson, Aug 3, 2004