    for a couple of minutes.

    Any suggestions apprectied.

    , Nov 6, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > A friend's system is acting up. Every time he quits Internet
    > Explorer, it lingers. The program appears to be closing, however,
    > nothing else will open or run for about 2 minutes after leaving IE.
    > The screen goes into total freezeup.
    >
    > Here's what we've checked so far:
    >
    > He's running Win98SE, IE6, 256mb ram, Pentium 150, 4 gb HD.
    > He ran WinTop and it showed nothing extra is running and, at idle,
    > the cpu is 98+% free.
    > He ran AVGFree7 with latest update with no reported problmes.
    > He ran Ad-Aware SE and SpyBot 1.4, with latest updates and no reported
    > problems.
    > He ran Norton with no reported problems.
    > He reinstalled IE6 but the problem remains.
    >
    > It's at least a 2 minute wait before it lets go of the system upon
    > closing IE. Even a Ctl-Alt-Del and selecting End Task totally
    > freezes the screen for a couple of minutes.
    >
    > Any suggestions apprectied.

    Try this:

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 6, 2005

  3. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message news:dkludb$lu2$...
    >A friend's system is acting up. Every time he quits Internet Explorer, it
    > lingers. The program appears to be closing, however, nothing else will
    > open or run for about 2 minutes after leaving IE. The screen goes into
    > total freezeup.
    >
    > Here's what we've checked so far:
    >
    > He's running Win98SE, IE6, 256mb ram, Pentium 150, 4 gb HD.
    > He ran WinTop and it showed nothing extra is running and, at idle, the cpu
    > is 98+% free.
    > He ran AVGFree7 with latest update with no reported problmes.
    > He ran Ad-Aware SE and SpyBot 1.4, with latest updates and no reported
    > problems.
    > He ran Norton with no reported problems.
    > He reinstalled IE6 but the problem remains.
    >
    > It's at least a 2 minute wait before it lets go of the system upon closing
    > IE. Even a Ctl-Alt-Del and selecting End Task totally freezes the screen
    > for a couple of minutes.
    >
    > Any suggestions apprectied.

    If I read your post right your friend is running two antivirus programs.
    The two antivirus programs can fight over file access to the point of
    locking your PC up without showing any CPU usage.
    Given the speed of the PC (150MHZ) I would dump Norton and stick with AVG or
    one of the other lighter workload Anti Virus programs.
    Norton these day's places a huge workload on the host system, generally
    anything under 1000MHZ is to slow for it.

    Secondly clear the 'caches' open IE, Tools, Internet Options, General tab,
    click "Delete Files" right in the middle, then go into settings next to it
    and set the amount of space for temporary files to 20MB or less.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Nov 7, 2005
  4. Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:00:11 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

    >A friend's system is acting up. Every time he quits Internet Explorer, it
    >lingers. The program appears to be closing, however, nothing else will
    >open or run for about 2 minutes after leaving IE. The screen goes into
    >total freezeup.
    >
    >Here's what we've checked so far:
    >
    >He's running Win98SE, IE6, 256mb ram, Pentium 150, 4 gb HD.
    >He ran WinTop and it showed nothing extra is running and, at idle, the cpu
    >is 98+% free.
    >He ran AVGFree7 with latest update with no reported problmes.
    >He ran Ad-Aware SE and SpyBot 1.4, with latest updates and no reported
    >problems.
    >He ran Norton with no reported problems.
    >He reinstalled IE6 but the problem remains.
    >
    >It's at least a 2 minute wait before it lets go of the system upon closing
    >IE. Even a Ctl-Alt-Del and selecting End Task totally freezes the screen
    >for a couple of minutes.
    >
    >Any suggestions apprectied.

    In Control Panel, Add-Remove Programs, uninstall Internet Explorer and
    before proceeding see if it give the option to epair

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Nov 7, 2005