    Thanks for any info.

    --
    Please reply in group. Email address invalid.
    Inquirer, Jul 19, 2006

  2. Inquirer

    optikl Guest

    Inquirer wrote:
    > I have tried several times to change my homepage (a webmail site I had
    > chosen; _not_ the result of an attack) in Internet Explorer 6.0. I
    > click 'apply' and it shows the new url or 'about: blank' which I have
    > chosen but then IE opens straight to the old homepage, completely
    > ignoring the change I made.
    >
    > Since I started using Firefox, I only use IE for MS updates, Dell
    > support, and other things which encounter problems with Firefox but I
    > am concerned over what could be causing this strange behavior.
    >
    > Complete scans with AdAware, SpyBot S&D and Ewido Anti-Spyware as well
    > as Avast AV and Kaspersky online virus scan have all come up clean.
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    >
    > --
    > Please reply in group. Email address invalid.

    Some security software, e.g., WinPatrol and SpySweeper, have features
    that allow one to monitor or control changes to the I.E. homepage. Are
    you certain you haven't software that offers that feature? I'm not
    certain about AVAST and or SpyBot, but check to make sure that isn't one
    of its options.
    optikl, Jul 19, 2006

  3. From: "Inquirer" <>

    | I have tried several times to change my homepage (a webmail site I had
    | chosen; _not_ the result of an attack) in Internet Explorer 6.0. I
    | click 'apply' and it shows the new url or 'about: blank' which I have
    | chosen but then IE opens straight to the old homepage, completely
    | ignoring the change I made.
    |
    | Since I started using Firefox, I only use IE for MS updates, Dell
    | support, and other things which encounter problems with Firefox but I
    | am concerned over what could be causing this strange behavior.
    |
    | Complete scans with AdAware, SpyBot S&D and Ewido Anti-Spyware as well
    | as Avast AV and Kaspersky online virus scan have all come up clean.
    |
    | Thanks for any info.

    If you are using any version of Sun Java that is prior to JRE Version 5.0,
    then you are strongly urged to remove any/all versions that are prior to JRE/JSE
    Version 5.0. There are vulnerabilities in them and they are actively being exploited.
    It is possible that is how you got infected with malware.

    Therefore, it is highly suggested that if there are any prior versions of Sun Java
    to Version 5 on the PC that they be removed and Sun Java JRE/JSE Version 5.0 Update 7
    be installed ASAP.

    Simple check, look under...
    C:\Program Files\Java

    The only folder under that folder should be the latest version...

    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07

    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

    For non-viral malware...

    Please download, install and update the following software...

    * SuperAntiSpyware
    http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

    I also suggest downloading, installing and updating BHODemon for any Browser Helper Objects
    that may be on the PC.

    * BHODemon

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3550&file=11&evp=245a87539eea8ed6904332b4b8b8442d

    For viral malware...

    * Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
    This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

    file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

    Additional Instructions:
    http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Jul 19, 2006
  4. Inquirer

    fred Guest

    In article <>,
    optikl <> writes
    >Inquirer wrote:
    >> I have tried several times to change my homepage (a webmail site I had
    >> chosen; _not_ the result of an attack) in Internet Explorer 6.0. I
    >> click 'apply' and it shows the new url or 'about: blank' which I have
    >> chosen but then IE opens straight to the old homepage, completely
    >> ignoring the change I made.
    >>
    >> Since I started using Firefox, I only use IE for MS updates, Dell
    >> support, and other things which encounter problems with Firefox but I
    >> am concerned over what could be causing this strange behavior.
    >>
    >> Complete scans with AdAware, SpyBot S&D and Ewido Anti-Spyware as well
    >> as Avast AV and Kaspersky online virus scan have all come up clean.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply in group. Email address invalid.

    >Some security software, e.g., WinPatrol and SpySweeper, have features
    >that allow one to monitor or control changes to the I.E. homepage. Are
    >you certain you haven't software that offers that feature? I'm not
    >certain about AVAST and or SpyBot, but check to make sure that isn't one
    >of its options.

    ZoneAlarm too and V65.722.000 Free has this behaviour as a bug along
    with forced hosts protection, in that case a revert to V61.744.001 was the
    solution although there may be a more recent version now that has fixed
    the bug.
    --
    fred
    Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
    fred, Jul 19, 2006
  5. Inquirer

    Inquirer Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:37:52 GMT, fred <> wrote:

    >ZoneAlarm too and V65.722.000 Free has this behaviour as a bug along
    >with forced hosts protection,

    Aha! That must be it, then, as that is my Firewall.

    > in that case a revert to V61.744.001 was the
    >solution although there may be a more recent version now that has fixed
    >the bug.

    Thanks but since I use IE so little, it probably doesn't pay to
    bother. I was just worried that it could be something insidious.

    ---
    Email invalid. Reply to group.
    Inquirer, Jul 21, 2006
  6. Inquirer

    Patrick Guest

    Nice, I just strolled across this now while conducting other
    searches... I was having the same problem until a few moments ago.

    Inquirer, no need to revert back to previous version. Simply
    temporarily shut down your ZoneAlarm Firewall, go to IE and change your
    homepage, then restart your Firewall.

    Done.

    Patrick, Jul 26, 2006