    Any ideas what is causing this redirection, is it a trojan, spyware,
    virus ?

    Any feedback is welcome :eek:)

    Dave, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Dave

    donnie Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:34:00 GMT, Dave <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My work PC is winXP and running latest versions of ie etc...
    >
    >When I enter a search string into the IE address bar, instead of the
    >normal MSN search, the browser is redirected to "MNS" search, NOTE: that
    >is "MNS" rather than "MSN".
    >
    >The so called "MNS" search site is a mock version of the MSN site and
    >contains links to adult sites etc...
    >
    >Any ideas what is causing this redirection, is it a trojan, spyware,
    >virus ?
    >
    >Any feedback is welcome :eek:)

    ######################
    Search the registry for MNS.
    donnie.

    donnie, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Dave

    Mark Gibson Guest

    donnie <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:34:00 GMT, Dave <> wrote:

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>My work PC is winXP and running latest versions of ie etc...
    >>
    >>When I enter a search string into the IE address bar, instead of the
    >>normal MSN search, the browser is redirected to "MNS" search, NOTE: that
    >>is "MNS" rather than "MSN".
    >>
    >>The so called "MNS" search site is a mock version of the MSN site and
    >>contains links to adult sites etc...
    >>
    >>Any ideas what is causing this redirection, is it a trojan, spyware,
    >>virus ?
    >>
    >>Any feedback is welcome :eek:)

    >######################
    >Search the registry for MNS.
    >donnie.

    It sounds to me like your default home page has been hijacked.
    That can happen if you don't run some fairly heavy duty security
    software on your computer, or if you decide to run some random
    executable or interpretable code off the 'Net.

    To fix the problem, try installing all of the following:

    ZoneAlarm,
    Avast!,
    AdAware,
    Spyware Doctor,
    and Registry Mechanic.

    There are some other good security/privacy programs out there...email me if
    you want cites.

    Fair warning!: if you run enough of that kind of software, it will tend to
    slow your comp down a lot. There are proggies that do scans to detect
    bad things when you boot up your machine, but most of the better ones stay
    around and chew up CPU and disk access time on a fairly active basis...
    when you hit a Web site, they check incoming stuff and do their best to
    ensure it is not infected in some way or another.

    There was a particularly nasty thing that hijacked my homepage...but a little
    research on Google allowed to to diagnose and remedy the problem.

    Hope that helps,
    Regards,
    Mark

    --
    "No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded."
    -- Yogi Berra

    Mark Gibson, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Dave

    Eric Guest

    Check your registry in the following key

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search

    Eric, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Dave

    Eric Guest

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl]
    ""="http://home.microsoft.com/access/autosearch.asp?p=%s"

    Eric, Oct 27, 2004