    then I will do Malwarebytes.

    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks!
    Julie Bove, Mar 2, 2011

  2. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message
    news:ikkhep$6og$-september.org...
    >I got some kind of error message earlier saying that IE had to close.
    >Asked me if I wanted to report it. I said that I did. But it just sort of
    >hung up and wouldn't report it. So I rebooted. This happened again twice.
    >Now I am no longer getting the error. But... IE won't open. It looks
    >like it will open, but then it just goes *poof*.
    >
    > I did a disk cleanup, defrag, Norton Quick Scan. Now doing Full Scan and
    > then I will do Malwarebytes.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I found the problem. I can't begin to explain why this happened, but... If
    it happens to you, try starting IE without add-ons. Then close the browser
    and try starting it again. Works like a dream now! And to think I wasted
    all that time doing all those things when I could have been surfing the web.
    Gah!

    Anyway, it is fixed now!
    Julie Bove, Mar 2, 2011

  3. "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message

    > "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message
    >>I got some kind of error message earlier saying that IE had to close.
    >>Asked me if I wanted to report it. I said that I did. But it just sort
    >>of hung up and wouldn't report it. So I rebooted. This happened again
    >>twice. Now I am no longer getting the error. But... IE won't open. It
    >>looks like it will open, but then it just goes *poof*.
    >>
    >> I did a disk cleanup, defrag, Norton Quick Scan. Now doing Full Scan and
    >> then I will do Malwarebytes.
    >>
    >> Any other suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > I found the problem. I can't begin to explain why this happened, but...
    > If it happens to you, try starting IE without add-ons. Then close the
    > browser and try starting it again. Works like a dream now! And to think
    > I wasted all that time doing all those things when I could have been
    > surfing the web. Gah!
    >
    > Anyway, it is fixed now!

    Thanks for the tip on your situation.
    I've been dealing with IE8 Add-ons problems for quite some time. In fact,
    I'm going to fix one at this very moment.
    :)
    James D Andrews, Mar 2, 2011
  4. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message

    > "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Julie Bove" <> wrote in message
    >>>I got some kind of error message earlier saying that IE had to close.
    >>>Asked me if I wanted to report it. I said that I did. But it just sort
    >>>of hung up and wouldn't report it. So I rebooted. This happened again
    >>>twice. Now I am no longer getting the error. But... IE won't open. It
    >>>looks like it will open, but then it just goes *poof*.
    >>>
    >>> I did a disk cleanup, defrag, Norton Quick Scan. Now doing Full Scan
    >>> and then I will do Malwarebytes.
    >>>
    >>> Any other suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> I found the problem. I can't begin to explain why this happened, but...
    >> If it happens to you, try starting IE without add-ons. Then close the
    >> browser and try starting it again. Works like a dream now! And to think
    >> I wasted all that time doing all those things when I could have been
    >> surfing the web. Gah!
    >>
    >> Anyway, it is fixed now!

    > Thanks for the tip on your situation.
    > I've been dealing with IE8 Add-ons problems for quite some time. In fact,
    > I'm going to fix one at this very moment.
    > :)

    Oh boy! Fun, fun, fun! Last night was my lucky night. I fixed an OE
    problem too!
    Julie Bove, Mar 3, 2011
  5. Julie Bove

    UCLAN Guest

    Julie Bove wrote:

    > Oh boy! Fun, fun, fun! Last night was my lucky night. I fixed an OE
    > problem too!

    Q: How do I end IE and OE problems?
    A: Use Firefox and Thunderbird instead.
    UCLAN, Mar 3, 2011
  6. Julie Bove

    Kele Guest

    In the standard instance of IE (add-ons enabled), look at your add-ons and
    see if there are any you don't need. Maybe you can find and disable the
    culprit add-on(s) that caused, and may cause again, your IE to crash.

    I like IE, however, my old minimal RAM PC cannot tolerate IE8; I have good
    results with IE7

    Win XP

    -----------

    Kele, Mar 4, 2011
  7. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "UCLAN" <> wrote in message
    > Julie Bove wrote:
    >
    >> Oh boy! Fun, fun, fun! Last night was my lucky night. I fixed an OE
    >> problem too!

    > Q: How do I end IE and OE problems?
    > A: Use Firefox and Thunderbird instead.

    Don't like those.
    Julie Bove, Mar 4, 2011
  8. Julie Bove

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <ikpjds$ppe$-september.org>, Julie Bove
    <> scribeth thus

    >"UCLAN" <> wrote in message
    >> Julie Bove wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh boy! Fun, fun, fun! Last night was my lucky night. I fixed an OE
    >>> problem too!

    >> Q: How do I end IE and OE problems?
    >> A: Use Firefox and Thunderbird instead.

    >Don't like those.

    Why ever not?..
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Mar 4, 2011
  9. "UCLAN" <> wrote in message
    > Julie Bove wrote:
    >
    >> Oh boy! Fun, fun, fun! Last night was my lucky night. I fixed an OE
    >> problem too!

    > Q: How do I end IE and OE problems?
    > A: Use Firefox and Thunderbird instead.

    I had to load Firefox on my wife's computer for a temporary fix. In order
    to fix her problem, I'll have to uninstall SP3, uninstall IE8, then
    reinstall SP3, THEN reinstall IE8. It's going to be a time consuming
    project.

    One of the problems I see is that while you can Disable an Add-on, I haven't
    figured out how to permanently delete one. There must be a way, I just
    haven't figured it out yet and time is not always on my side.
    James D Andrews, Mar 4, 2011
  10. Julie Bove

    UCLAN Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:

    >>>Oh boy! Fun, fun, fun! Last night was my lucky night. I fixed an OE
    >>>problem too!

    >>Q: How do I end IE and OE problems?
    >>A: Use Firefox and Thunderbird instead.

    > I had to load Firefox on my wife's computer for a temporary fix. In order
    > to fix her problem, I'll have to uninstall SP3, uninstall IE8, then
    > reinstall SP3, THEN reinstall IE8. It's going to be a time consuming
    > project.
    >
    > One of the problems I see is that while you can Disable an Add-on, I haven't
    > figured out how to permanently delete one. There must be a way, I just
    > haven't figured it out yet and time is not always on my side.

    She'll probably learn the advantages of Firefox, and your "repair" of IE
    will be a waste of time.
    UCLAN, Mar 4, 2011
  11. "UCLAN" <> wrote in message

    >>>Q: How do I end IE and OE problems?
    >>>A: Use Firefox and Thunderbird instead.

    >> I had to load Firefox on my wife's computer for a temporary fix. In
    >> order to fix her problem, I'll have to uninstall SP3, uninstall IE8, then
    >> reinstall SP3, THEN reinstall IE8. It's going to be a time consuming
    >> project.
    >>
    >> One of the problems I see is that while you can Disable an Add-on, I
    >> haven't figured out how to permanently delete one. There must be a way,
    >> I just haven't figured it out yet and time is not always on my side.

    > She'll probably learn the advantages of Firefox, and your "repair" of IE
    > will be a waste of time.

    Hopefully, although I'll still do the repair. I don't like leaving * up
    programs unfixed where it might find a new way to screw things up later.

    I kept IE myself since I didn't have the same problem, and when I tried
    Firefox awhile back, the Search tool I use regularly wasn't compatible.

    One of the biggest problems is that almost everything wants to install
    another toolbar these days, and I've had some install even after checking
    the box for Do Not Install Toolbar or such.
    James D Andrews, Mar 4, 2011
  12. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ikpjds$ppe$-september.org>, Julie Bove
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>
    >>"UCLAN" <> wrote in message

    >>> Q: How do I end IE and OE problems?
    >>> A: Use Firefox and Thunderbird instead.

    >>Don't like those.
    >>

    > Why ever not?..

    Just don't.
    Julie Bove, Mar 5, 2011
  13. Julie Bove

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <ikski3$ubj$-september.org>, Julie Bove
    <> scribeth thus

    >"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <ikpjds$ppe$-september.org>, Julie Bove
    >> <> scribeth thus
    >>>
    >>>"UCLAN" <> wrote in message

    >>>Don't like those.
    >>>

    >> Why ever not?..

    >Just don't.

    Thats not very scientific reasoning;?..
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Mar 6, 2011
  14. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ikski3$ubj$-september.org>, Julie Bove
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>
    >>"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <ikpjds$ppe$-september.org>, Julie Bove
    >>> <> scribeth thus

    >>> Why ever not?..

    >>Just don't.
    >>

    > Thats not very scientific reasoning;?..

    Well, I'm not a scientist!
    Julie Bove, Mar 7, 2011
  15. Julie Bove

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <il1j78$nah$-september.org>, Julie Bove
    <> scribeth thus

    >"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <ikski3$ubj$-september.org>, Julie Bove
    >> <> scribeth thus
    >>>
    >>>"tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    >>>Just don't.
    >>>

    >> Thats not very scientific reasoning;?..