    How anyone could prefer IE over FF is a mystery to me.

    Thanks for this kick ass browser. Better AND at no cost.

    Robert

    R. Hickey, Feb 16, 2008

  2. R. Hickey

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:35:30 GMT, R. Hickey wrote:

    > Maybe it's just me and my inexperience and time spent with IE but it sucks!
    >
    > It comes installed on the computer, so I figured I'd play with it and have
    > some sort of backup browser.
    >
    > Whew! There ain't nothin' easy. When I connect to a site and then connect
    > to another, it didn't automatically display a new tab (like FF). I had to
    > manually -- as far as I could tell -- click the tab thingie on the address
    > bar or else it would just replace the current site in the same tab.
    >
    > And add-ons. Besides being severely limited in number and type, some are
    > NOT free and there was a price structure. No thanks.
    >
    > How anyone could prefer IE over FF is a mystery to me.
    >
    > Thanks for this kick ass browser. Better AND at no cost.
    >
    > Robert

    You cannot have it set up correctly.
    I use Firefox and or Seamonkey, but they are a PITA because of the
    necessity of having to use add-ons just to get what IE7 does out of the
    box.
    I would be using IE7 if it were not for the damn silly toolbar they
    installed in version 7.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Feb 17, 2008

  3. R. Hickey

    Frank Guest

    R. Hickey wrote:
    > Maybe it's just me and my inexperience and time spent with IE but it sucks!
    >
    > It comes installed on the computer, so I figured I'd play with it and have
    > some sort of backup browser.
    >
    > Whew! There ain't nothin' easy. When I connect to a site and then connect
    > to another, it didn't automatically display a new tab (like FF). I had to
    > manually -- as far as I could tell -- click the tab thingie on the address
    > bar or else it would just replace the current site in the same tab.
    >
    > And add-ons. Besides being severely limited in number and type, some are
    > NOT free and there was a price structure. No thanks.
    >
    > How anyone could prefer IE over FF is a mystery to me.
    >
    > Thanks for this kick ass browser. Better AND at no cost.
    >
    > Robert

    IE 7 that came with my new computer 6 months ago was a disaster. I
    could not configure the way I wanted and it was gawd awful slow. I had
    become a FF fan before getting computer and afterwards only problem I've
    had is getting rid of threads to IE. TB for ng browser and Eudora for
    email work great.

    Frank

    Frank, Feb 17, 2008
  4. R. Hickey

    History Fan Guest

    "R. Hickey" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe it's just me and my inexperience and time spent with IE but it
    > sucks!
    >
    > It comes installed on the computer, so I figured I'd play with it and have
    > some sort of backup browser.
    >
    > Whew! There ain't nothin' easy. When I connect to a site and then connect
    > to another, it didn't automatically display a new tab (like FF). I had to
    > manually -- as far as I could tell -- click the tab thingie on the address
    > bar or else it would just replace the current site in the same tab.
    >
    > And add-ons. Besides being severely limited in number and type, some are
    > NOT free and there was a price structure. No thanks.

    IE 7 has some nice features missing in IE 6, although I don't like the
    fact that you cannot move the URL bar. However, I gave up on IE as my
    default browser years ago. Firefox is light-years ahead in terms of easy of
    use and being able to customize the browser.

    History Fan, Feb 17, 2008
  5. R. Hickey

    Scott Nelson Guest

    I like using add-ons. I can configure it the way I want and not the way
    Microsoft wants. I started using both Firefox and Thunderbird 3 years
    ago and have never looked back.

    Scott

    Scott Nelson, Feb 18, 2008
  6. R. Hickey

    Rom Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:41:45 GMT, Jim S wrote:

    > I would be using IE7 if it were not for the damn silly toolbar they
    > installed in version 7.

    Have you tried the new version of IE7Pro released a couple of weeks
    ago? I'm trying the new 64-bit version of IE7Pro on Vista here, just
    to see what it's like, even though I don't use IE7 much, I do think
    it's an improvement over IE6. IE7Pro adds (optional) extra
    functionality for things like tabbed browsing, inline searching, mouse
    gestures, keyboard shortcuts, keywords/shortcuts and filtering just to
    name a few, but nothing about the toolbar I think you're referring to.
    I didn't like the command bar being where it was, but got used to it,
    but don't like being unable to search favourites within IE7.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Feb 18, 2008
  7. Jim S wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:35:30 GMT, R. Hickey wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe it's just me and my inexperience and time spent with IE but it sucks!
    >>
    >> It comes installed on the computer, so I figured I'd play with it and have
    >> some sort of backup browser.
    >>
    >> Whew! There ain't nothin' easy. When I connect to a site and then connect
    >> to another, it didn't automatically display a new tab (like FF). I had to
    >> manually -- as far as I could tell -- click the tab thingie on the address
    >> bar or else it would just replace the current site in the same tab.
    >>
    >> And add-ons. Besides being severely limited in number and type, some are
    >> NOT free and there was a price structure. No thanks.
    >>
    >> How anyone could prefer IE over FF is a mystery to me.
    >>
    >> Thanks for this kick ass browser. Better AND at no cost.
    >>
    >> Robert

    > You cannot have it set up correctly.
    > I use Firefox and or Seamonkey, but they are a PITA because of the
    > necessity of having to use add-ons just to get what IE7 does out of the
    > box.
    > I would be using IE7 if it were not for the damn silly toolbar they
    > installed in version 7.

    Yet, it is customizability through extensions that is the true beuaty of
    the applications. One user's must have function is another's waste of
    space. Why should I have features that I don't use?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 18, 2008
  8. R. Hickey

    wrote:

    >Maybe it's just me and my inexperience and time spent with IE but it sucks!
    >
    >It comes installed on the computer, so I figured I'd play with it and have
    >some sort of backup browser.
    >
    >Whew! There ain't nothin' easy. When I connect to a site and then connect
    >to another, it didn't automatically display a new tab (like FF). I had to
    >manually -- as far as I could tell -- click the tab thingie on the address
    >bar or else it would just replace the current site in the same tab.
    >
    >And add-ons. Besides being severely limited in number and type, some are
    >NOT free and there was a price structure. No thanks.
    >
    >How anyone could prefer IE over FF is a mystery to me.
    >
    >Thanks for this kick ass browser. Better AND at no cost.
    >
    >Robert

    IE does NOT have tabs, unless you use one of the shareware overlays.
    I am speaking about IE6 (or 5.x). I havce never used IE7.

    While I much prefer FF over both IE and Opera, I do not understand why
    anyone should find IE to use. It's no harder than using the default
    FF. IE is actually easier to configure than FF once you get into the
    about:config settings in FF. On the other hand, FF can be made to do
    more than IE.

    I dont mind IE at all, and I often use it for a viewing a quickie site
    that I know is safe (such as a weather report), and mostly because IE
    loads faster. The big drawback of IE is it's not safe as far as
    viruses and spyware. That's the main reason I avoid using it for
    normal browsing. Plus I like the tabs in FF.

    Then there's Opera. It works, it has tabs, but its bloated, clumbsy,
    and not to my liking. My first choice is always FF, and my second is
    IE.

    , Feb 18, 2008
  9. R. Hickey

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:12:13 +1100, Rom wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:41:45 GMT, Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> I would be using IE7 if it were not for the damn silly toolbar they
    >> installed in version 7.

    > Have you tried the new version of IE7Pro released a couple of weeks
    > ago? I'm trying the new 64-bit version of IE7Pro on Vista here, just
    > to see what it's like, even though I don't use IE7 much, I do think
    > it's an improvement over IE6. IE7Pro adds (optional) extra
    > functionality for things like tabbed browsing, inline searching, mouse
    > gestures, keyboard shortcuts, keywords/shortcuts and filtering just to
    > name a few, but nothing about the toolbar I think you're referring to.
    > I didn't like the command bar being where it was, but got used to it,
    > but don't like being unable to search favourites within IE7.

    Sorry, when I spoke of "out of the box" I was making a point about
    simplicity.
    I do use IE7Pro, but it's not essential.
    I just cannot get used to the way the navigation bar is laid out. I cannot
    see why it was necessary to change from the way it was, or to have a skin
    which gives the option.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Feb 18, 2008
  10. R. Hickey

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:30:03 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:35:30 GMT, R. Hickey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Maybe it's just me and my inexperience and time spent with IE but it sucks!
    >>>
    >>> It comes installed on the computer, so I figured I'd play with it and have
    >>> some sort of backup browser.
    >>>
    >>> Whew! There ain't nothin' easy. When I connect to a site and then connect
    >>> to another, it didn't automatically display a new tab (like FF). I had to
    >>> manually -- as far as I could tell -- click the tab thingie on the address
    >>> bar or else it would just replace the current site in the same tab.
    >>>
    >>> And add-ons. Besides being severely limited in number and type, some are
    >>> NOT free and there was a price structure. No thanks.
    >>>
    >>> How anyone could prefer IE over FF is a mystery to me.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for this kick ass browser. Better AND at no cost.
    >>>
    >>> Robert

    >> You cannot have it set up correctly.
    >> I use Firefox and or Seamonkey, but they are a PITA because of the
    >> necessity of having to use add-ons just to get what IE7 does out of the
    >> box.
    >> I would be using IE7 if it were not for the damn silly toolbar they
    >> installed in version 7.

    > Yet, it is customizability through extensions that is the true beuaty of
    > the applications. One user's must have function is another's waste of
    > space. Why should I have features that I don't use?
    >
    > Lee

    Hi Lee
    Of course I see your point and for we who understand this, there is no
    problem.
    However if my Auntie Maisie wants a browser (for Auntie Maisie substitute
    the technically challenged office temp or my mate Ernie), the idea of
    add-ons would be the equivalent of re-wiring a house.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Feb 18, 2008
  11. R. Hickey

    Jim S Guest

    > IE does NOT have tabs, unless you use one of the shareware overlays.
    > I am speaking about IE6 (or 5.x). I havce never used IE7.

    The whole point about IE7 is that it does have tabs and can be compared
    like with like to FF.

    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Feb 18, 2008
  12. R. Hickey

    Ed Mullen Guest

    R. Hickey wrote:
    > Maybe it's just me and my inexperience and time spent with IE but it sucks!
    >
    > It comes installed on the computer, so I figured I'd play with it and have
    > some sort of backup browser.
    >
    > Whew! There ain't nothin' easy. When I connect to a site and then connect
    > to another, it didn't automatically display a new tab (like FF). I had to
    > manually -- as far as I could tell -- click the tab thingie on the address
    > bar or else it would just replace the current site in the same tab.

    Try reading the Help file. Middle-click a link (or CTRL-click) and it
    will open in a new tab.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 18, 2008
  13. R. Hickey

    Justin Guest

    Jim S wrote on [Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:47:30 GMT]:

    > Hi Lee
    > Of course I see your point and for we who understand this, there is no
    > problem.
    > However if my Auntie Maisie wants a browser (for Auntie Maisie substitute
    > the technically challenged office temp or my mate Ernie), the idea of
    > add-ons would be the equivalent of re-wiring a house.

    Out of the box, Firefox has everything they need.

    It's not like the slow responsefulness and completely useless and
    misleading error messages display by IE are helping the cluless.

    Justin, Feb 18, 2008
  14. R. Hickey

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:36:49 -0600, Justin wrote:

    > Jim S wrote on [Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:47:30 GMT]:
    >>
    >> Hi Lee
    >> Of course I see your point and for we who understand this, there is no
    >> problem.
    >> However if my Auntie Maisie wants a browser (for Auntie Maisie substitute
    >> the technically challenged office temp or my mate Ernie), the idea of
    >> add-ons would be the equivalent of re-wiring a house.

    > Out of the box, Firefox has everything they need.
    >
    > It's not like the slow responsefulness and completely useless and
    > misleading error messages display by IE are helping the cluless.

    You haven't tried IE7 either then.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Feb 18, 2008
  15. R. Hickey

    Justin Guest

    Jim S wrote on [Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:19:48 GMT]:
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:36:49 -0600, Justin wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote on [Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:47:30 GMT]:
    >>>
    >>> Hi Lee
    >>> Of course I see your point and for we who understand this, there is no
    >>> problem.
    >>> However if my Auntie Maisie wants a browser (for Auntie Maisie substitute
    >>> the technically challenged office temp or my mate Ernie), the idea of
    >>> add-ons would be the equivalent of re-wiring a house.

    >> Out of the box, Firefox has everything they need.
    >>
    >> It's not like the slow responsefulness and completely useless and
    >> misleading error messages display by IE are helping the cluless.

    > You haven't tried IE7 either then.

    Yes, I have.

    It's slow and has misleading error messages.

    Justin, Feb 18, 2008
  16. R. Hickey

    Jim S Guest

    >> You haven't tried IE7 either then.

    > Yes, I have.
    >
    > It's slow and has misleading error messages.

    What error messages?
    Never had one. What can you be doing wrong?
    --
    Jim S

    Jim S, Feb 18, 2008
  17. R. Hickey

    Justin Guest

    Jim S wrote on [Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:50:10 GMT]:

    >>> You haven't tried IE7 either then.

    >> Yes, I have.
    >>
    >> It's slow and has misleading error messages.

    > What error messages?
    > Never had one. What can you be doing wrong?

    Not a thing, IE is what is doing the wrong thing.

    "IE cannot display the web page"

    Most likely causes:
    * You are not connected to the internet
    * The website is encountering problems
    * The URL may be wrong

    Yeah, not misleading at all, because we know that you not being online
    is exactly the same as a 500 error on a website.

    Justin, Feb 18, 2008
  18. Jim S wrote:
    > I just cannot get used to the way the navigation bar is laid out. I cannot
    > see why it was necessary to change from the way it was, or to have a skin
    > which gives the option.

    boy, it sure doesn't take much to get you upset. The
    navigation bar is horrible. Yeah, so.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 18, 2008
  19. R. Hickey

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Jim S wrote:
    >> I just cannot get used to the way the navigation bar is laid out. I
    >> cannot
    >> see why it was necessary to change from the way it was, or to have a skin
    >> which gives the option.

    > boy, it sure doesn't take much to get you upset. The navigation bar is
    > horrible. Yeah, so.

    Well, I use IE7 for testing and don't find it horrible. The toolbars
    /are/ customizable. There's even a built-in selection to make it look
    like IE6. I just people would RTFM before going off on negative rants.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/ie7_toolbar.mspx

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 18, 2008
  20. R. Hickey

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Justin wrote:
    >>> Yes, I have.
    >>>
    >>> It's slow and has misleading error messages.

    >> What error messages?
    >> Never had one. What can you be doing wrong?

    > Not a thing, IE is what is doing the wrong thing.
    >
    > "IE cannot display the web page"
    >
    > Most likely causes:
    > * You are not connected to the internet
    > * The website is encountering problems
    > * The URL may be wrong
    >
    > Yeah, not misleading at all, because we know that you not being online
    > is exactly the same as a 500 error on a website.

    I don't see anything in that error message about a 500 error. But, if
    none of those choices were the correct answer, what was?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 18, 2008