    Apologies if this has come up before.

    Cheers,

    Moke G.
    Moke G, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Moke G

    JesterDev Guest

    Moke G wrote:

    > When I open up IE (Win XP Home), there are about 15 items that appear
    > whenever I press the first 'w' of any website that I wish to visit.
    >
    > Any new sites that I visit CAN be deleted however, but not these 15 or so
    > websites that have appeared now in the IE address box for many months.
    >
    > The history of recently visited sites I delete OK in the usual manner (clear
    > history in IE options).
    >
    > Anyone any ideas why these 15 or so items stubbornly refuse to be wiped out
    > and keep on appearing in the IE address line whenever I press 'w' ?
    >
    > Apologies if this has come up before.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >

    > Moke G.

    Must be spyware. I remember there being a decent spyware program for
    windows.. Sorry I'm normally a linux user just visiting XP for a short
    while. Anyway I suggest you download some spyware remover software, AND
    find out where on your hard drive these files are kept. Go there and
    delete them directly.

    HTH,
    JesterDev
    JesterDev, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Moke G

    °Mike° Guest

    Close IE, go to Control Panel / Internet Options and 'Clear History'.
    Go to the 'Content' tab, press 'Autocomplete' and 'Clear Forms'.
    You can remove autocomplete while you are there, if you wish.

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:21:42 -0000, in
    <qjuFb.8284$>
    "Moke G" < .net> scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Moke G

    Moke G Guest

    Hi Jester -- I've got so much Spyware protection on my computer, you
    wouldn't believe it. I have installed and regularly use and update the
    following protection software :

    ZoneAlarm firewall
    Norton AV
    AdAware
    SpyBot
    SpyWareBlaster

    I reckon if that lot can't stop nasty things getting into my computer, then
    nothing will !

    Cheers,

    Moke G.

    Moke G, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Moke G

    Moke G Guest

    Thanks Mike -- your suggestions have done the trick. I have left all 3 boxes
    unticked (web addresses/forms (whatever they are !)/user names and passwords
    on forms).

    Cheers

    Moke G.

    Moke G, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Moke G

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:43:34 -0000, in
    <YDuFb.8291$>
    "Moke G" < .net> scrawled:

    >Thanks Mike -- your suggestions have done the trick. I have left all 3 boxes
    >unticked (web addresses/forms (whatever they are !)/user names and passwords
    >on forms).
    >
    >Cheers
    >

    >Moke G.
    >

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Close IE, go to Control Panel / Internet Options and 'Clear History'.
    >> Go to the 'Content' tab, press 'Autocomplete' and 'Clear Forms'.
    >> You can remove autocomplete while you are there, if you wish.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003
  7. Moke G

    Richard Guest

    JesterDev wrote:

    > Moke G wrote:

    >> When I open up IE (Win XP Home), there are about 15 items that appear
    >> whenever I press the first 'w' of any website that I wish to visit.
    >>
    >> Any new sites that I visit CAN be deleted however, but not these 15 or
    >> so websites that have appeared now in the IE address box for many
    >>months. The history of recently visited sites I delete OK in the usual
    >>manner (clear history in IE options). Anyone any ideas why these 15 or so
    >>items stubbornly refuse to be wiped out and keep on appearing in the IE
    >>address line whenever I press 'w' ? Apologies if this has come up before.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>

    >> Moke G.
    >>

    > Must be spyware. I remember there being a decent spyware program for
    > windows.. Sorry I'm normally a linux user just visiting XP for a short
    > while. Anyway I suggest you download some spyware remover software, AND
    > find out where on your hard drive these files are kept. Go there and
    > delete them directly.

    > HTH,
    > JesterDev

    It's part of autocomplete which has nothing to do with history.
    spyware won't do any good.
    Richard, Dec 22, 2003
  8. Please try these steps

    In Internet explorer, click on Tools->Internet options.
    Then click on Content Tab-> Auto Complete.
    Uncheck the option 'Web Addresses'.
    Also Uncheck Forms.
    Then Click on 'Clear forms'.

    Then Click on Apply->Ok.