IE handling file extensions incorrectly.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rud, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Rud

    Rud Guest

    Hi People.

    I posted this before but didn't get a valid solution.

    So I'm opening this up to the Jury, incase you think the problem was solved.

    When I click a link in IE, like an MP3 file for example. The link opens in
    IE and instead of it redirecting to Winamp, it displays in the browser as
    text. It started to happen the other day and I've notice that it's also
    happening to a few other extensions as well.

    I have tried reset preferences in the Media Bar, and both restore/reset
    buttons in
    IE properties. Still no change. I have gone to file options in My
    computer, clicked MP3 and made sure that the box "Confirm open after
    download" is checked and I have even reinstalled IE. Still no change.

    Is there something in windows registry that I can change?

    Any ideas?

    TIA

    Rud, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Rud

    Boomer Guest

    "Rud" <> wrote in

    > Hi People.
    >
    > I posted this before but didn't get a valid solution.
    >
    > So I'm opening this up to the Jury, incase you think the problem
    > was solved.
    >
    > When I click a link in IE, like an MP3 file for example. The link
    > opens in IE and instead of it redirecting to Winamp, it displays
    > in the browser as text. It started to happen the other day and
    > I've notice that it's also happening to a few other extensions as
    > well.
    >
    > I have tried reset preferences in the Media Bar, and both
    > restore/reset buttons in
    > IE properties. Still no change. I have gone to file options in
    > My computer, clicked MP3 and made sure that the box "Confirm open
    > after download" is checked and I have even reinstalled IE. Still
    > no change.
    >
    > Is there something in windows registry that I can change?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA

    Hi

    Did you try this?
    In Explorer, click on the file, then hold down the "shift" key,
    right click the file and choose "open with".
    Browse to the application you want to open the file with.

    If you 'always' want to open that type of file with that app,
    check the box "Always Open With. Click OK.

    I hope this helps.

    Boomer, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Rud

    trout Guest

    Rud wrote:

    > Hi People.
    >
    > I posted this before but didn't get a valid solution.
    >
    > So I'm opening this up to the Jury, incase you think the problem was
    > solved.
    >
    > When I click a link in IE, like an MP3 file for example. The link
    > opens in IE and instead of it redirecting to Winamp, it displays in
    > the browser as text. It started to happen the other day and I've
    > notice that it's also happening to a few other extensions as well.
    >
    > I have tried reset preferences in the Media Bar, and both
    > restore/reset buttons in
    > IE properties. Still no change. I have gone to file options in My
    > computer, clicked MP3 and made sure that the box "Confirm open after
    > download" is checked and I have even reinstalled IE. Still no change.

    While you were 'there, doing that' (Folder Options; File Types); did
    you you check the associated program for that type of file?
    --
    "Where it says 'Opens With'?"

    trout, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Rud

    °Mike° Guest

    You got a valid solution... just one that didn't work in your case.

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:45:02 GMT, in
    <OObTb.37308$>
    Rud scrawled:

    >Hi People.
    >
    >I posted this before but didn't get a valid solution.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 1, 2004