    --
    AP
    XP Pro 64 Bit O/S

    The Primate, Jul 3, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jul 3, 2005

  3. "If" it is a nVidia chipset, install and enable the nvidia firewall. Then
    uninstall it. Something seems to
    get properly reset after an uninstall.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 3, 2005
  4. The Primate

    The Primate Guest

    "Steve Thompson" <> wrote in message

    > The Primate wrote:
    >> This has just started happening, once IE 32 starts to open you cannot
    >> access
    >> anything else or shut it down. I have 2 other OS's on the same computer
    >> so
    >> I doubt it's hardware. Firefox works fine.
    >>
    >> Suggestions? Thanks.
    >>

    > Do you have an NVIDIA chipset?
    >
    > - --
    > Steve Thompson
    > Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
    > CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B
    >
    > Pre-Installation Guide to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    > http://home.comcast.net/~stthomp/

    Unfortunately no. IE worked fine until this morning.

    TP
    XP Pro 64 Bit O/S

    The Primate, Jul 3, 2005
  5. The Primate

    Randy Guest

    That would suggest to me malware, file corruption, or plug-in
    incompatibility. Or a misbehaving firewall... Can you disable the firewall
    and try again? Does a cold-cycle reboot fix things?

    Randy, Jul 4, 2005
  6. So what changed in the last 24-48 hours? Any new software installations?
    Different pattern of web surfing, etc?

    Whats taskmgr show you for CPU on iexplore?

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jul 5, 2005
  7. The Primate

    The Primate Guest

    ""Joseph Conway [MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    > So what changed in the last 24-48 hours? Any new software installations?
    > Different pattern of web surfing, etc?
    >
    > Whats taskmgr show you for CPU on iexplore?

    Taskmgr is totally unusable. I can't even shut IE down. What's interesting
    is now I run Firefox. Sometimes I click on something that brings IE up and
    it works fine. Other times bringing it up causes a total computer freeze.

    I am off tomorrow so I'll probably try to spend some time isolating this
    problem.

    AP

    The Primate, Jul 6, 2005
  8. Sounds more like the nVidia firewall to me.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 6, 2005
  9. Possibly a hardware issue as well. Have you removed the Nvidia software on
    the machine and noted any new changes?

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jul 7, 2005
  10. The Primate

    > Possibly a hardware issue as well. Have you removed the Nvidia software
    > on
    > the machine and noted any new changes?

    I have a A8V Asus MB and ATI 800XL vid card. This system has never seen
    Nvidia.

    Thanks though.

    AP

    The Primate, Jul 8, 2005