    click on the icon but it does nothing, it starts to work but then just
    stops, even going into Microsoft XP newsgroups the page jams up.

    Lozza
    Laurie Martins, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Laurie Martins

    trout Guest

    Laurie Martins wrote:

    > Maybe someone can help. I am having trouble bringing up IE Explorer,
    > I click on the icon but it does nothing, it starts to work but then
    > just stops, even going into Microsoft XP newsgroups the page jams up.
    >
    > Lozza

    Not nearly enough information, to have even an opinion. You are
    asking people to guess, based on vague clues.
    Okay, so it can be assumed that XP is your OS.... ?
    Now, do you see an error message, or just the 'freeze'? Do you do
    regular maintenance (like dumping temp files), and do you have basic
    protection from malware, like trojans and hi-jackers? Do you check for
    things like this?
    --
    "The answer is usually as good as the question."
    trout, Nov 25, 2004

  3. Sorry trout, I should know better, Yes XP is the OS & there is no error
    message at all it just does not open up when I click on the icon, the
    freezing up is when I go into XP help & support / Ask for assistance /
    Windows XP Newsgroups.
    I clean out temp files regulary & I have X Cleaner as basic protection.
    I also have Mozilla Firefox installed but not as my default explorer.
    Lozza

    Laurie Martins, Nov 25, 2004
  4. Laurie Martins

    trout Guest

    Laurie Martins wrote:

    > Sorry trout, I should know better, Yes XP is the OS & there is no
    > error message at all it just does not open up when I click on the
    > icon, the freezing up is when I go into XP help & support / Ask for
    > assistance / Windows XP Newsgroups.
    > I clean out temp files regulary & I have X Cleaner as basic
    > protection. I also have Mozilla Firefox installed but not as my
    > default explorer. Lozza

    Okay, so this is what I have, here, for the moment. I'm not familiar
    with "X Cleaner", so I had a quick look, and it *looks* (and I'm sorry
    if I'm judging a product by an, admittedly, quick look), but it looks
    rather like 'scare-ware'. I saw nothing else on any 'look-up' page but
    'nudges' to buy something else.
    For the purposes of this post, I'd suggest a quick search of this
    newsgroup for suggestions on 'basic' protection; like Spybot S&D,
    AdAware, SpywareBlaster.... all good free, programs, that should be used
    in conjunction with a good anti-virus.
    I'm not saying that I think you have an infection; but it's a good
    place to start trouble-shooting a problem of this kind. You could also
    check-out posts in this group from Mike and Unk for good, free programs
    to check for hi-jackers, and to do an on-line scan to make sure your
    system is free of critters; before considering other possible reasons
    for your problem.
    If you *don't* find a resolution to your problem; I suggest you
    re-state it, with as many details as possible (including what you've
    done, so far), in a *new* thread (post), to get as many suggestions as
    possible.

    trout, Nov 25, 2004
  5. Laurie Martins

    matt Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Laurie Martins wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry trout, I should know better, Yes XP is the OS & there is no
    > > error message at all it just does not open up when I click on the
    > > icon, the freezing up is when I go into XP help & support / Ask for
    > > assistance / Windows XP Newsgroups.
    > > I clean out temp files regulary & I have X Cleaner as basic
    > > protection. I also have Mozilla Firefox installed but not as my
    > > default explorer. Lozza

    > Okay, so this is what I have, here, for the moment. I'm not familiar
    > with "X Cleaner", so I had a quick look, and it *looks* (and I'm sorry
    > if I'm judging a product by an, admittedly, quick look), but it looks
    > rather like 'scare-ware'. I saw nothing else on any 'look-up' page but
    > 'nudges' to buy something else.
    > For the purposes of this post, I'd suggest a quick search of this
    > newsgroup for suggestions on 'basic' protection; like Spybot S&D,
    > AdAware, SpywareBlaster.... all good free, programs, that should be used
    > in conjunction with a good anti-virus.
    > I'm not saying that I think you have an infection; but it's a good
    > place to start trouble-shooting a problem of this kind. You could also
    > check-out posts in this group from Mike and Unk for good, free programs
    > to check for hi-jackers, and to do an on-line scan to make sure your
    > system is free of critters; before considering other possible reasons
    > for your problem.
    > If you *don't* find a resolution to your problem; I suggest you
    > re-state it, with as many details as possible (including what you've
    > done, so far), in a *new* thread (post), to get as many suggestions as
    > possible.
    >

    > > "trout" <> wrote in message

    > >> Not nearly enough information, to have even an opinion. You are
    > >> asking people to guess, based on vague clues.
    > >> Okay, so it can be assumed that XP is your OS.... ?
    > >> Now, do you see an error message, or just the 'freeze'? Do you do
    > >> regular maintenance (like dumping temp files), and do you have basic
    > >> protection from malware, like trojans and hi-jackers? Do you check
    > >> for things like this?

    This was happening to me yesterday and I downloaded and ran AdAware and
    SpyBot. I discovered that I had made the grave error of connecting to
    SmileyCentral to download some of their great Smileys. I remembered being
    warned about this place before years ago. I had to do a complete cleanout of
    a pile of crap that I got by making that mistake! Things are running
    perfectly since

    matt, Nov 25, 2004
  6. Laurie Martins

    matt Guest

    By the way, does anybody know where to get some of the "New" smileys without
    being subjected to all sorts of hijacking and tracking?
    matt, Nov 25, 2004
  7. Laurie Martins

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Nobody I know wants people sending smileys crap to them in their email
    anyway. Waste of bandwidth, waste of time, etc.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2004
  8. matt wrote:
    > By the way, does anybody know where to get some of the "New" smileys without
    > being subjected to all sorts of hijacking and tracking?

    The following is purely a subjective point of view and in no way
    reflects the opinion of the owners or managers of this newsgroup:

    "Why, oh why, would anyone want smileys?"
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 25, 2004
  9. Rôgêr wrote:
    > matt wrote:
    >> By the way, does anybody know where to get some of the "New" smileys without
    >> being subjected to all sorts of hijacking and tracking?

    > The following is purely a subjective point of view and in no way
    > reflects the opinion of the owners or managers of this newsgroup:

    > "Why, oh why, would anyone want smileys?"

    I just checked with Mangagent. Actually, that *does* reflect its
    stance. ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 25, 2004
  10. Laurie Martins

    matt Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Nobody I know wants people sending smileys crap to them in their email
    > anyway. Waste of bandwidth, waste of time, etc.

    I don't want them to send in mail. I am a photographer and exchange photos
    on a forum with acquaintances from all over the net. Smiley Gifs can say a
    lot and they can be fun to create or display facial expressions when
    rsponding to certain shots!
    matt, Nov 27, 2004
  11. Laurie Martins

    lsj7 Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Laurie Martins wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry trout, I should know better, Yes XP is the OS & there is no
    >> error message at all it just does not open up when I click on the
    >> icon, the freezing up is when I go into XP help & support / Ask for
    >> assistance / Windows XP Newsgroups.
    >> I clean out temp files regulary & I have X Cleaner as basic
    >> protection. I also have Mozilla Firefox installed but not as my
    >> default explorer. Lozza

    > Okay, so this is what I have, here, for the moment. I'm not
    > familiar with "X Cleaner",

    Frre scanner at this site, Trout:

    www.spywareinfo.com

    >so I had a quick look, and it *looks* (and
    > I'm sorry if I'm judging a product by an, admittedly, quick look),
    > but it looks rather like 'scare-ware'. I saw nothing else on any
    > 'look-up' page but 'nudges' to buy something else.
    > For the purposes of this post, I'd suggest a quick search of this
    > newsgroup for suggestions on 'basic' protection; like Spybot S&D,
    > AdAware, SpywareBlaster.... all good free, programs, that should be
    > used in conjunction with a good anti-virus.
    > I'm not saying that I think you have an infection; but it's a good
    > place to start trouble-shooting a problem of this kind. You could also
    > check-out posts in this group from Mike and Unk for good, free
    > programs to check for hi-jackers, and to do an on-line scan to make
    > sure your system is free of critters; before considering other
    > possible reasons for your problem.
    > If you *don't* find a resolution to your problem; I suggest you
    > re-state it, with as many details as possible (including what you've
    > done, so far), in a *new* thread (post), to get as many suggestions as
    > possible.
    >

    >> "trout" <> wrote in message

    >>> Not nearly enough information, to have even an opinion. You are
    >>> asking people to guess, based on vague clues.
    >>> Okay, so it can be assumed that XP is your OS.... ?
    >>> Now, do you see an error message, or just the 'freeze'? Do you
    >>> do regular maintenance (like dumping temp files), and do you have
    >>> basic protection from malware, like trojans and hi-jackers? Do you
    >>> check for things like this?
    >>> --
    >>> "The answer is usually as good as the question."

    --

    Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their
    attention. .If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you

    _________Jefferson to Carrington 1787

    lsj7
    lsj7, Nov 27, 2004
  12. Laurie Martins

    trout Guest

    lsj7 wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> Laurie Martins wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sorry trout, I should know better, Yes XP is the OS & there is no
    >>> error message at all it just does not open up when I click on the
    >>> icon, the freezing up is when I go into XP help & support / Ask for
    >>> assistance / Windows XP Newsgroups.
    >>> I clean out temp files regulary & I have X Cleaner as basic
    >>> protection. I also have Mozilla Firefox installed but not as my
    >>> default explorer. Lozza

    >> Okay, so this is what I have, here, for the moment. I'm not
    >> familiar with "X Cleaner",

    > Frre scanner at this site, Trout:
    >
    > www.spywareinfo.com

    X-Cleaner? The free scan seems to be a rather limited detector of
    ActiveX vulnerability. I've got a feeling that most roads, including
    *that* site (although they are frank about their commercial
    relationships) lead to you spending forty bucks.
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/x/
    I still don't know how useful this is as a commercial product, or if
    it's worth the money. Especially, if a consumer is under the impression
    that paying for a product guarantees the best 'umbrella' of protection,
    from that single product.
    --
    "The *free* thing sure isn't 'basic protection'."
    trout, Nov 27, 2004