    From: "OnlineCitibank" <>
    To: "me" <>
    Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 11:43 PM
    Subject: Citi_Bank E_MAIL Veerification -

    > Dear_ Online-Citibank Member_,
    >
    > Thiss LETTER was sent by the_ Citi-Card servers to
    > veerify _your EMAIL adderss_.
    > You mmust cmelptoe this posrecs by clicking on_the_link
    > _below_ and enntering in the little window your Citi
    > _Debit Card nummber and PIN that _you use on the

    Atm_machine.
    > This is donne for-your potcertion -b- becouse some_of_our
    > members no longer have acsecs to their email adsesdres
    > and we must verify it.
    >
    > http://citi-bank.com:LuPne9hrgl@af%

    64%6a%618%610%62%2e%44%61%2e%72%75/%3f%61%65%58%496%42

    > To veerify _your _EMAIL_ adderss and acces your_

    Citibank-Online

    UrbanDragon, Jan 31, 2004

  2. It is a simple redirect to a scam site. A poorly written scam,but a scam
    nonetheless.
    Try this one:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=2&q=http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm

    Now when did I get to be the Server 2003 expert for Google and why haven't
    they sent me a check for my services??

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
    http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm

    Larry Samuels, Jan 31, 2004

  3. UrbanDragon

    Simon Geary Guest

    Microsoft plan to release an IE update that will soon close the door on
    these URL's. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=834489

    Simon Geary, Feb 2, 2004
  4. UrbanDragon

    Danny Boy Guest

    Geee, let me think... it could be a scam I suppose, but
    why would someone be that dishonest?

    66%

    Danny Boy, Feb 3, 2004
  5. UrbanDragon

    Guest Guest

    Yep, it's called "Phishing" IIRC. It's been out for a
    long time and was recently brought back into the
    spotlight a few months ago. This is a nightmare for
    almost everyone but the extremely paranoid. Since the
    link to the site looks real and will fill in whatever
    site in the address bar that you tell it to fill in.
    Heck, all it would take is a well placed spam email
    offering anything at a stupid low price with some lame
    excuse as to why they are selling it that low. Then have
    some poor smuck click that site and think they are at a
    legit site (since you can put anyone's name in the
    address bar, it could be a Best Buy or Circuit City) and
    as soon as the potential customer puts in a credit card
    number the nightmare begins. I'm curious as to how they
    were planning to use debit cards and pins but I'm sure it
    would have ruined someone's day.
    I have to say that it's about time MS is going to fix
    this. Even I forget that this is out there from time to
    time. But for people that have problems finding the power
    button their computer this is a disaster waiting to
    happen.

    Guest, Feb 4, 2004
  6. UrbanDragon

    sharkbite Guest

    Personally, I don't trust any emails that every other
    word is mis-spelled.

    I've gotten these emails and I have an account thru
    Citibank. If it is legit, they'll contact me via snail
    mail.

    sharkbite, Feb 6, 2004