    where this little bastard may be hiding? SpyBot & AdAware don't turn
    anything up either.

    Thanks.

    bb3, Jul 2, 2003

  2. bb3

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... bb3 said:

    > I was typing an address in the address bar in IE and noticed a link that
    > came up that was unfamiliar. So I clicked on it to see what it was. Turns
    > out it's a dead link to a porn site. I have no idea how it got there, so I
    > cleared the cache, offline content, cookies, history, etc. and it's still
    > there. I did a registry search but didn't turn anything up. Any ideas on
    > where this little bastard may be hiding? SpyBot & AdAware don't turn
    > anything up either.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Have you tried any registry cleaners?
    2 or 3 on my software page

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 2, 2003

  3. bb3

    bb3 Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Errrrr...erm... bb3 said:
    >
    > > I was typing an address in the address bar in IE and noticed a link that
    > > came up that was unfamiliar. So I clicked on it to see what it was.

    Turns
    > > out it's a dead link to a porn site. I have no idea how it got there,

    so I
    > > cleared the cache, offline content, cookies, history, etc. and it's

    still
    > > there. I did a registry search but didn't turn anything up. Any ideas

    on
    > > where this little bastard may be hiding? SpyBot & AdAware don't turn
    > > anything up either.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > Have you tried any registry cleaners?
    > 2 or 3 on my software page
    >
    > --
    > www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    > freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    I tried JH Powertools (I think that's what it was) and it was pretty hinky
    with Win ME, at least on my system (PIII 700mhz 128mb). Locked up the OS,
    that type of thing so I dumped it. I'll take a look at the others though
    and run them.

    Thanks.

    bb3, Jul 2, 2003
  4. bb3

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... bb3 said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Errrrr...erm... bb3 said:
    >>
    >>> I was typing an address in the address bar in IE and noticed a link that
    >>> came up that was unfamiliar. So I clicked on it to see what it was. Turns
    >>> out it's a dead link to a porn site. I have no idea how it got there, so I
    >>> cleared the cache, offline content, cookies, history, etc. and it's still
    >>> there. I did a registry search but didn't turn anything up. Any ideas on
    >>> where this little bastard may be hiding? SpyBot & AdAware don't turn
    >>> anything up either.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Have you tried any registry cleaners?
    >> 2 or 3 on my software page
    >>
    >> --
    >> www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    >> freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
    >>

    > I tried JH Powertools (I think that's what it was) and it was pretty hinky
    > with Win ME, at least on my system (PIII 700mhz 128mb). Locked up the OS,
    > that type of thing so I dumped it. I'll take a look at the others though
    > and run them.
    >
    > Thanks.

    You're welcome.
    RegSeeker is about the best BTW.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 2, 2003
  5. bb3

    trout Guest

    bb3 wrote:

    > I was typing an address in the address bar in IE and noticed a link
    > that came up that was unfamiliar. So I clicked on it to see what it
    > was. Turns out it's a dead link to a porn site. I have no idea how
    > it got there, so I cleared the cache, offline content, cookies,
    > history, etc. and it's still there. I did a registry search but
    > didn't turn anything up. Any ideas on where this little bastard may
    > be hiding? SpyBot & AdAware don't turn anything up either.
    >
    > Thanks.

    In Internet options, Content; have you cleared the forms for "Auto
    complete"?
    --
    "Sounds like it."

    trout, Jul 2, 2003
  6. bb3

    bb3 Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > bb3 wrote:
    >
    > > I was typing an address in the address bar in IE and noticed a link
    > > that came up that was unfamiliar. So I clicked on it to see what it
    > > was. Turns out it's a dead link to a porn site. I have no idea how
    > > it got there, so I cleared the cache, offline content, cookies,
    > > history, etc. and it's still there. I did a registry search but
    > > didn't turn anything up. Any ideas on where this little bastard may
    > > be hiding? SpyBot & AdAware don't turn anything up either.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > In Internet options, Content; have you cleared the forms for "Auto
    > complete"?
    > --
    > "Sounds like it."

    Yes I did Trout. That didn't work either. Thanks though (I did it again to
    make sure).

    bb3, Jul 2, 2003
  7. bb3

    bb3 Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message

    > "bb3" <> wrote in message
    > > I was typing an address in the address bar in IE and noticed a link that
    > > came up that was unfamiliar. So I clicked on it to see what it was.

    > Turns
    > > out it's a dead link to a porn site. I have no idea how it got there,

    so
    > > cleared the cache, offline content, cookies, history, etc. and it's

    still
    > > there. I did a registry search but didn't turn anything up. Any ideas

    on
    > > where this little bastard may be hiding? SpyBot & AdAware don't turn
    > > anything up either.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > Not sure where exactly it's stored, but it comes from "auto complete".
    > Go into tools/internet options. Content tab. Select "auto complete".
    > click "clear forms" button and see if that doesn't remove it.

    Trout suggested the same thing. It didn't work. Thanks.

    bb3, Jul 2, 2003
  8. bb3

    Jim Prather Guest

    look in your bookmarks, may be hiding there.

    Jim Prather, Jul 2, 2003
  9. bb3

    bb3 Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    <snip
    > >> Have you tried any registry cleaners?
    > >> 2 or 3 on my software page
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    > >> freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
    > >>

    > > I tried JH Powertools (I think that's what it was) and it was pretty

    hinky
    > > with Win ME, at least on my system (PIII 700mhz 128mb). Locked up the

    OS,
    > > that type of thing so I dumped it. I'll take a look at the others

    though
    > > and run them.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > You're welcome.
    > RegSeeker is about the best BTW.
    >
    > --
    > www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    > freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    I installed/ran RegSeeker. Cleaned out 353 bad entries, computer still
    works (WoooHooo!) but the entry is still there. I'm out of ideas where this
    thing could be hiding.

    Thanks.

    bb3, Jul 2, 2003
  10. bb3

    Unk Guest

    Maybe some help here:
    How to Use the AutoComplete Feature in Internet Explorer 5 and 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q217148

    Take Control of Microsoft Internet Explorer's AutoComplete Data.
    AutoWhat?2 - Edit the AutoComplete entries for Web-based forms.
    Free download after registering with PC Magazine.

    Direct download:
    http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/download/0/1415/autowhat.zip

    Unk

    Unk, Jul 2, 2003
  11. bb3

    bb3 Guest

    Wasn't there either. Thanks...I hadn't thought about that.

    bb3, Jul 2, 2003
  12. bb3

    bb3 Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe some help here:
    > How to Use the AutoComplete Feature in Internet Explorer 5 and 6
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q217148

    This one worked to some extent. In Internet Options/Content/Autocomplete I
    de-selected everything. That turned it off completely, but all that did is
    not show the listing. But when I re-selected it, the link turned up again.

    > Take Control of Microsoft Internet Explorer's AutoComplete Data.
    > AutoWhat?2 - Edit the AutoComplete entries for Web-based forms.
    > Free download after registering with PC Magazine.

    Apparently you now have to pay for PC Mag programs which annoys me more than
    the porn link.

    > Direct download:
    > http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/download/0/1415/autowhat.zip

    Dead (see above).

    > Unk

    Thanks.
    <snip>

    bb3, Jul 2, 2003
  13. bb3

    bb3 Guest

    bb3, Jul 2, 2003
  14. bb3

    bb3 Guest

    DL'd and ran it. Nothing shown (I had cleared it before).

    Thanks.

    http://download.bravotech.us/download/tools/PC Mag/PC Mag Utilities.htm

    bb3, Jul 2, 2003
  15. bb3

    °Mike° Guest

    The link is most likely on your system somewhere - favorites
    folder, desktop, some other folder. If you have address
    complete turned on, even typing just 'm' will list things
    like 'My Computer', 'My Documents', etc. Search your hard
    drive for the letters that cause the link to show up.

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 23:41:54 GMT, in
    <6%oMa.32211$>
    bb3 scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jul 2, 2003
  16. bb3

    bb3 Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > The link is most likely on your system somewhere - favorites
    > folder, desktop, some other folder. If you have address
    > complete turned on, even typing just 'm' will list things
    > like 'My Computer', 'My Documents', etc. Search your hard
    > drive for the letters that cause the link to show up.

    <snip>

    That didn't turn up the link. I tried deleting the .pwl files because it
    seems to have a password in the link, but that didn't do the trick either.
    Should I post the link here?

    Thanks.

    bb3, Jul 2, 2003
  17. bb3

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:42:49 GMT, in
    <tQEMa.32982$>
    bb3 scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> The link is most likely on your system somewhere - favorites
    >> folder, desktop, some other folder. If you have address
    >> complete turned on, even typing just 'm' will list things
    >> like 'My Computer', 'My Documents', etc. Search your hard
    >> drive for the letters that cause the link to show up.
    >>

    ><snip>
    >
    >That didn't turn up the link. I tried deleting the .pwl files
    >because it seems to have a password in the link, but that didn't
    >do the trick either. Should I post the link here?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Post the link, then - but don't put the http:// or www parts in.
    That way, it should not be click-able.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jul 2, 2003
  18. bb3

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:08:57 GMT, in
    <d5GMa.33051$>
    bb3 scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:42:49 GMT, in
    >> <tQEMa.32982$>
    >> bb3 scrawled:
    >>

    >> >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> >>
    >> ><snip>
    >> >
    >> >That didn't turn up the link. I tried deleting the .pwl files
    >> >because it seems to have a password in the link, but that didn't
    >> >do the trick either. Should I post the link here?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks.

    >> Post the link, then - but don't put the http:// or www parts in.
    >> That way, it should not be click-able.
    >>

    >passwordsbyjesus . com /cgi-bin/out.pl?url= maple:grove @ members.everyhole
    >. com
    >
    >Note: http:// is at the beginning and before maple...no www is present.

    I have to ask this, but if the link isn't on your system, how
    on earth did you remember it?

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jul 3, 2003
  19. bb3

    bb3 Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:08:57 GMT, in
    > <d5GMa.33051$>
    > bb3 scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:42:49 GMT, in
    > >> <tQEMa.32982$>
    > >> bb3 scrawled:

    > >> Post the link, then - but don't put the http:// or www parts in.
    > >> That way, it should not be click-able.
    > >>

    > >passwordsbyjesus . com /cgi-bin/out.pl?url= maple:grove @

    members.everyhole
    > >. com
    > >
    > >Note: http:// is at the beginning and before maple...no www is present.

    > I have to ask this, but if the link isn't on your system, how
    > on earth did you remember it?
    >
    > --
    > STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    That's the catch. I can't find it anywhere, but if I type "pa" into the
    address bar, this link shows up in the pull-down menu. I found 2
    occurrances of this link in the registry
    (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
    Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU and ,
    HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
    Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU).but I believe
    those came from searching for the link in Explorer, because if I delete the
    entries & re-search the registry the link is gone (obviously), but when I
    immediately go to Windows Explorer to search for it and nothing comes up,
    these values are then added to the registry. It's become a mission now to
    find out where this link is hiding itself.

    bb3, Jul 3, 2003
  20. bb3

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:40:16 GMT, in
    <QuVMa.34198$>
    bb3 scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> I have to ask this, but if the link isn't on your system, how
    >> on earth did you remember it?
    >>

    >That's the catch. I can't find it anywhere, but if I type "pa" into the
    >address bar, this link shows up in the pull-down menu. I found 2
    >occurrances of this link in the registry
    >(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
    >Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU and ,
    >HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
    >Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU).but I believe
    >those came from searching for the link in Explorer, because if I delete the
    >entries & re-search the registry the link is gone (obviously), but when I
    >immediately go to Windows Explorer to search for it and nothing comes up,
    >these values are then added to the registry. It's become a mission now to
    >find out where this link is hiding itself.

    Do you have SpyBot installed? If not, install it and run it
    using the 'Usage Tracks'. Also, install MRU Blaster.

    SpyBot
    http://security.kolla.de/

    MRU-Blaster
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/mrublaster.html