IE & ActiveX?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anOLDun, May 7, 2004.

  1. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Lo All

    Wife's PC playing up need your help tp sort out pleasew.

    OS = winXP pro
    IE - version 6.0

    PC worked fine - coincidence that it stops functioning correctly when she
    installed her new flat screen monitor?

    when you fire up the pc it now also opens a dos window called:-

    "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\updmgr\updmgr.exe"

    then a pop up window appears saying:-

    The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:0f67: fffc OP <then
    a list of numbers follows> choose close to terminate the application.

    She then has two options CHOOSE or IGNORE. selecting either option brings
    up another error message:-

    "An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other
    parts of this page do you want to allow interaction Y or N"

    Choosing either option causes the "page cannot be found" to appear. Also no
    log=in window appears ( i.e the window that u have to key in your username
    and password to gain access to your ISP >WWW or Email .

    Any ideas what any of the above means and how do i get rid of it???

    Many thanks D

    anOLDun, May 7, 2004

  2. anOLDun

    Jerry G. Guest

    We tried to answer this, but cannot reach you. Your email address is doing
    something to allow us to send...

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., May 7, 2004

  3. anOLDun

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 12:29:09 +0100, "anOLDun" <>
    wrote:

    >Lo All
    >
    >Wife's PC playing up need your help tp sort out pleasew.
    >
    >OS = winXP pro
    >IE - version 6.0
    >
    >PC worked fine - coincidence that it stops functioning correctly when she
    >installed her new flat screen monitor?
    >

    >when you fire up the pc it now also opens a dos window called:-
    >
    >"c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\updmgr\updmgr.exe"

    This is most likely some bit of malware.

    >then a pop up window appears saying:-
    >
    >The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:0f67: fffc OP <then
    >a list of numbers follows> choose close to terminate the application.
    >
    >She then has two options CHOOSE or IGNORE. selecting either option brings
    >up another error message:-
    >
    >"An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other
    >parts of this page do you want to allow interaction Y or N"
    >
    >Choosing either option causes the "page cannot be found" to appear. Also no
    >log=in window appears ( i.e the window that u have to key in your username
    >and password to gain access to your ISP >WWW or Email .
    >
    >Any ideas what any of the above means and how do i get rid of it???

    Download AdAware and Spybot S&D. Update and run both. Also, make
    sure your antivirus definitions are up to date and do a complete
    system scan.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 7, 2004
  4. anOLDun

    °Mike° Guest

    Well, DUH!

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 09:32:36 -0400, in
    <c7g3b6$q70$>
    Jerry G. scrawled:

    >We tried to answer this, but cannot reach you. Your email address is doing
    >something to allow us to send...
    >

    >"anOLDun" <> wrote in message
    >Lo All

    <snip>