    Should I install IE 8 now or wait?

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, May 15, 2009

  2. Steve Freides

    olfart Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What's the word on IE 8? I use Google Chrome for my browser and have kept
    > IE 7 installed for two reasons - mostly to run Windows Update, and once in
    > a while for a site that Chrome doesn't handle properly; the latter is
    > extremely rare now for me.
    >
    > I assume that I must install IE 8 at some point for Windows Update to
    > continue to work - is that right? (Does IE 6 still work for Windows
    > Update?)
    >
    > Should I install IE 8 now or wait?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -S-

    if you don't want IE8 then Google for IE8 Blocker. It won't affect any other
    updates
    olfart, May 15, 2009

  3. Steve Freides

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > What's the word on IE 8?

    MS thinks it is an improvement over IE7 for those people who are using
    IE7. But that wouldn't be you.

    > I use Google Chrome for my browser and have
    > kept IE 7 installed for two reasons - mostly to run Windows Update, and
    > once in a while for a site that Chrome doesn't handle properly; the
    > latter is extremely rare now for me.

    Since you aren't really using IE7 all the time, you would have almost
    nothing to gain by installing IE8. Then, the question is, 'what do you
    have to lose?' And the answer is not 'nothing'.

    > I assume that I must install IE 8 at some point for Windows Update to
    > continue to work - is that right?

    That is not correct.

    > (Does IE 6 still work for Windows
    > Update?)

    Old browsers keep working for update.

    > Should I install IE 8 now or wait?

    The disadvantage to upgrading any version of IE to any other version is
    that the browser is integrated in a major way with the OS. On some
    occasions a browser upgrade leads to unexpected and unwanted consequences.
    Considering how you use your browser Chrome or other and how you don't use
    IE7, IMO the disadvantage to upgrading outweighs any small advantage.

    A friend upgraded to IE8 and had a lot of unwanted consequences and
    regretted doing the upgrade, since he wasn't using IE7 much anyway. That
    is exactly your situation.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 15, 2009
  4. Steve Freides

    Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > What's the word on IE 8? I use Google Chrome for my browser and have
    > kept IE 7 installed for two reasons - mostly to run Windows Update, and
    > once in a while for a site that Chrome doesn't handle properly; the
    > latter is extremely rare now for me.
    >
    > I assume that I must install IE 8 at some point for Windows Update to
    > continue to work - is that right? (Does IE 6 still work for Windows
    > Update?)
    >
    > Should I install IE 8 now or wait?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -S-

    I had downloaded it and installed it before and found it to be faster
    and responsive.
    I use IE6 instead instead though.

    Go for it. It's pretty cool if you ask me. Something new.
    , May 16, 2009
  5. "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in message
    > olfart added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    >
    >>> Should I install IE 8 now or wait?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    >> if you don't want IE8 then Google for IE8 Blocker. It won't
    >> affect any other updates
    >>

    > Not to worry, assuming the OP has their update scheme set to
    > "notify but do not download", then it is always possible to just
    > uncheck the IE8 or SP3 or any other update that is offered and tell

    Thank you to everyone for their response. All PC's in our house are set
    to _not_ do any automatic anything w/ Microsoft. I just go around to
    each about once a week manually run Windows Update. I do the same for
    Spyware Blaster and Spybot Search and Destroy. AVG 8 or 8.5
    auto-updates on all computers here.

    I will continue to skip IE 8 for now, thanks again to everyone.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, May 20, 2009
  6. Steve Freides

    VanguardLH Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:

    > What's the word on IE 8? I use Google Chrome for my browser and have
    > kept IE 7 installed for two reasons - mostly to run Windows Update, and
    > once in a while for a site that Chrome doesn't handle properly; the
    > latter is extremely rare now for me.
    >
    > I assume that I must install IE 8 at some point for Windows Update to
    > continue to work - is that right? (Does IE 6 still work for Windows
    > Update?)
    >
    > Should I install IE 8 now or wait?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -S-

    Go lurk in the microsoft.public.internetexplorer[.beta] newsgroups to
    make your own decision.
    VanguardLH, May 20, 2009