    and I'd like to keep that as my last option.

    So, how's it working?

    Woof

    James D. Andrews, May 4, 2009

  2. "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > Those of you who have upgraded to IE 8, how's it working?

    I skipped IE7 -- I went directly from 6 to 8. I've been running IE8 for
    about a week, and it seems to be working okay for me.

    Jeff Strickland, May 4, 2009

  3. James D. Andrews

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <gtnod4$3cm$>, Jeff Strickland
    <> scribeth thus

    >"James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> Those of you who have upgraded to IE 8, how's it working?
    >>

    >I skipped IE7 -- I went directly from 6 to 8. I've been running IE8 for
    >about a week, and it seems to be working okay for me.

    And theres always Firefox which I find a lot of people prefer;!...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, May 5, 2009
  4. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> Those of you who have upgraded to IE 8, how's it working?
    >>

    > I skipped IE7 -- I went directly from 6 to 8. I've been running IE8 for
    > about a week, and it seems to be working okay for me.

    Any significant improvements?

    Woof

    James D. Andrews, May 5, 2009
  5. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I skipped IE7 -- I went directly from 6 to 8. I've been running IE8 for
    >>> about a week, and it seems to be working okay for me.
    >>>

    >> Any significant improvements?

    >SNIP SNIP>

    > IE8 allows Tabbed Browsing, which should be faster than opening new
    > instances of the browser when a new page is desired.
    >
    > IE8 does a couple of things that I'd like to turn off. It grays-out the
    > active address except for the actual <address>.com part. If you were on
    > www.addressyoulike.com/somedeeperpage, the only part that shows black in
    > the address box is "addressyoulike.com", the http://www. and
    > /somedeeperpage parts are gray. I don't suppose it matters, but I do not
    > like it.
    >
    > I do not particularly care for the IE7 and later webpage presentation, but
    > this seems to be the way MSoft is going. The new presentation seems to
    > follow the Office 2007 conventions. I am an advanced user of Office Suite
    > applications, and when they migrated to Office 2007, I find the menus and
    > such are not as intuitive as I would like. The entire presentation of
    > Office apps is different with the 2007 version. I greatly prefer the
    > earlier versions.

    The Tabbed Browsing sounds like a nice feature. I wonder what the thinking
    was for the gray addresses. I guess just a way of distinguishing the site
    from the individual page. Who knows with MS?

    I'm still using Office 2000 Premium - still happy with it. I live by the
    philosophy, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Of course, with every release,
    there are new features, but then again, the new features are not always
    good. I just don't need to upgrade my OSs and software every time MS wants
    me to. On an extrememely fixed income, I can't afford to keep up, so I'm
    usually the last to get to new stuff. Actually, I get a lot at Yard Sales
    from people who have upgraded. I got 2 copies of above mentioned Office
    2007 and assorted other programs all in a container for $2 total. Bought
    Diablo (I) for 50c. I paid $10 for 4 working Pentium IIIs.

    Thanks for the input. I'll probably think about it for a week before I bite
    the bullet and put it in.

    Woof

    James D. Andrews, May 6, 2009
  6. James D. Andrews

    TeeJay1952 Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>> "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message

    >>> SNIP SNIP>
    >>> IE8 allows Tabbed Browsing, which should be faster than opening new
    >>> instances of the browser when a new page is desired.
    >>>
    >>> IE8 does a couple of things that I'd like to turn off. It grays-out the
    >>> active address except for the actual <address>.com part. If you were on
    >>> www.addressyoulike.com/somedeeperpage, the only part that shows black in
    >>> the address box is "addressyoulike.com", the http://www. and
    >>> /somedeeperpage parts are gray. I don't suppose it matters, but I do not
    >>> like it.
    >>>
    >>> I do not particularly care for the IE7 and later webpage presentation,
    >>> but this seems to be the way MSoft is going. The new presentation seems
    >>> to follow the Office 2007 conventions. I am an advanced user of Office
    >>> Suite applications, and when they migrated to Office 2007, I find the
    >>> menus and such are not as intuitive as I would like. The entire
    >>> presentation of Office apps is different with the 2007 version. I greatly
    >>> prefer the earlier versions.
    >>>

    >> The Tabbed Browsing sounds like a nice feature. I wonder what the
    >> thinking was for the gray addresses. I guess just a way of distinguishing
    >> the site from the individual page. Who knows with MS?
    >>
    >> I'm still using Office 2000 Premium - still happy with it. I live by the
    >> philosophy, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Of course, with every
    >> release, there are new features, but then again, the new features are not
    >> always good. I just don't need to upgrade my OSs and software every time
    >> MS wants me to. On an extrememely fixed income, I can't afford to keep
    >> up, so I'm usually the last to get to new stuff. Actually, I get a lot at
    >> Yard Sales from people who have upgraded. I got 2 copies of above
    >> mentioned Office 2007 and assorted other programs all in a container for
    >> $2 total. Bought Diablo (I) for 50c. I paid $10 for 4 working Pentium
    >> IIIs.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the input. I'll probably think about it for a week before I
    >> bite the bullet and put it in.
    >>
    >> Woof
    >>

    > DON'T DO IT!
    > Keep your Office 2k if it does what you need it to.
    >
    > The problem you have with O 2k is that stuff created with Office 2007 might
    > not open properly. That could be problematic, and the only work around I can
    > think of is to contact the creator of the file and ask them to save it again
    > to the lower (your) version and send it again. Anything you create is
    > supposed to open properly in the newer versions. If you don't open files
    > made by others, or send files to others, you can live out your days very
    > happily with O 2k.
    >
    > As for IE8, I'm still on the fence over it. If you are happy running IE6,
    > steer a steady course. It is a free upgrade though, so you don't need to
    > count your pennies to get it.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en
    has a converter for you.

    TeeJay1952, May 6, 2009