    accept IE8?
    Many thanks in anticipation.
    Ron

    Ron Pflaumer, Jul 7, 2009

  2. Ron Pflaumer

    Jane C Guest

    Ron Pflaumer wrote:
    > Each time I get an update, I expect IE8 to be installed, but get the message
    > that "Internet Explorer 8 is not supported on this operating system". I
    > decided to try downloading the IE8-WindowsServer2003-x65-ENU edition from the
    > IE8 mirror and this says exactly the same thing! What is happening here? Is
    > the automatic update completely awry? I would like to use IE 8 on my XP Pro
    > x64 system. Can you please suggest anything else I can do to make my system
    > accept IE8?
    > Many thanks in anticipation.
    > Ron

    Hi Ron,

    Try here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2c-84ce-472e-b3ac-9531f4feef47&displaylang=en

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

    Jane C, Jul 7, 2009

  3. Ron Pflaumer

    Ron Pflaumer Guest

    Hi, thanks Jane C.
    I have tried this and I still get the same response - "Internet Explorer 8
    is not supported on this operating system". This is really weird as it's
    supposed to have been written for this very purpose!

    Ron Pflaumer, Jul 7, 2009
  4. Do you have Service Pack to for Windows XP Pro x64 installed? I know it
    doesn't specify it for Win XP Pro x64, but it does for Server 2003 x64
    and they are the same OS base.

    Also:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/support/call-us.aspx

    Call us

    Call our support number and get the answers you need to get you browsing
    with Internet Explorer 8 quickly and easily. For more information on
    phone support, visit our support site.

    Toll-free number: 1-866-234-6020 (US and Canada only)

    International number: Visit our support site for a list of international
    numbers.

    Hours of operation:
    Monday – Friday, 5 am – 9 pm Pacific Time
    Saturday – Sunday, 6 am – 3 pm Pacific Time
    For consumers

    Support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage is
    available via the phone based on your locale. Customers must be running
    Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain environment.

    Free phone support for Internet Explorer 8 is limited to installation,
    set-up and usage only. Advanced issues are not supported. Advanced
    issues include problems that are associated with software and hardware
    development, network connectivity, server-based technologies, and
    business-critical systems.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 7, 2009
  5. Ron Pflaumer

    Ron Pflaumer Guest

    Dear Bobby,
    Many thanks for your advice - Indeed, I have downloaded the Service Pack and
    now am enjoying my first taste of using IE8 on the XP Pro x64 platform - well
    done and thanks again!
    Ron

    Ron Pflaumer, Jul 7, 2009
  6. I'm glad I could be helpful, Ron! You're welcome.

    This is going to ruin my reputation with those that feel I'm a bit harsh
    sometimes!

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 7, 2009