IE 8 for Vista 64-bit - beta

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by TJD, Aug 27, 2008.

  1. TJD

    TJD Guest

    TJD, Aug 27, 2008

  2. TJD

    S.SubZero Guest

    For everything that 64-bit IE can do, it works perfectly. There is no
    "compatibility" to improve. You may be thinking of plugins.. Well,
    since 64-bit IE can **ONLY** use 64-bit plugins, I'd say the
    compatiblity there is 100% when talking about 64-bit plugins (which
    there are few if any).

    S.SubZero, Aug 27, 2008

  3. TJD

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 27/08/2008 in message <> TJD wrote:

    >Has anyone tried this yet? Does it improve compatibility? I would really
    >like to use a 64-bit browser, but I have heard there are too many problems
    >as of yet.
    >
    >http://fileforum.betanews.com/detai...r_v8_for_Windows_Vista2008_64bit/1204745864/2

    You could always use IE7 64 bit until the bugs are out of IE8.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those

    Jeff Gaines, Aug 27, 2008
  4. > Has anyone tried this yet? Does it improve compatibility? I would really
    > like to use a 64-bit browser, but I have heard there are too many problems
    > as of yet.

    I don't do beta releases. But I use IE7's 64-bit browser for nearly all
    my browsing, and never encountered anything I consider a problem
    with compatibility.

    I resist using ActiveX controls (like Adobe Flash), nearly all of which
    are still 32-bit. If the compatibility issues you mention are due to
    ActiveX controls, nothing in IE8 *can* fix your problem: it's up
    to the provider of those add-ons to make them 64-bit compatible.

    - David Stevens

    David Stevens, Aug 27, 2008
  5. TJD

    TJD Guest

    Thanks, David. Your reply clarifies and answers my question exactly. I need
    to be able to run Flash, Shockwave, Java, etc. and I was under the false
    assumption that IE8 64-bit might be able make these somehow more compatible.
    Too bad. I guess we have to wait for 64-bit to become more mainstream.

    TJD, Aug 28, 2008
  6. TJD

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Beta2 is now available. I believe you will find that the download "for
    Windows Vista... 64 bit ..." is actually a 32 bit application. If you want
    an indication, set it as the default browser. 64 bit versions of IE cannot
    be set to be the default, by design. At least, that has been the case up
    until now. I'd be grateful if someone can provide authoritative reference to
    the contrary.
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Aug 28, 2008
  7. TJD

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tom.

    I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 SP1. I've been running Google Earth for
    nearly a year, but had to reinstall it (and everything else, including
    Vista) after bad RAM crashed my computer last month. Google Earth has been
    running fine as a 32-bit application in Vista x64. There is evidently no
    such thing as 64-bit Google Earth. There is not even a Google folder in my
    Program Files folder, even though there is one in Program Files (x86).

    I installed IE8b2 yesterday. I never checked the "bitness" until now. I've
    been running only the 32-bit IE8b2 in 64-bit Vista. (Help | About Internet
    Explorer does not mention "bits" in the 32-bit version, except for Cipher
    strength.) Just now, I've navigated to C:\Program Files\Internet
    Explorer\iexplore.exe to be sure I have the 64-bit version running. The
    good news is that 64-bit IE8b2 runs in Vista x64. The bad news is that
    there still is apparently not a 64-bit version of Google Earth.

    At http://earth.com, there is a menu offering to download several packages,
    including both "Google Earth 2008" and "Google Earth 4.3". Both claim to be
    the "Latest Version of Google Earth". I'm too confused and too busy right
    now to check it out. The 32-bit version that I'm now running shows:

    Google Earth 4.2.0205.5730
    Build Date Nov 13 2007

    So I guess 4.3 is newer, but I don't know if it is different from "2008", or
    newer or older.

    I don't have time to fully explore now, but at least one glaring problem
    seems to be fixed. Google Maps (32-bit) was badly mangled in IE8b1 on my
    computer, but now seems to be displaying correctly. ;<) Yes, in both
    32-bit and 64-bit IE8b2!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Aug 29, 2008
  8. TJD

    nospam Guest

    FWIW - The only strange thing which I found with IE 8 is that it's a huge
    resource hog. In this day and age, I believe Microsoft could have coded the
    browser thinner and better, like Firefox, for instance. I am trying to
    unintall the IE 8 beta 2 but don't know how....... :(

    done better when compared to Firefox.

    nospam, Sep 4, 2008
  9. TJD

    Vj Guest

    You are forgetting that IE8 is still in "Beta2", let's wait for RTM to come
    out and then we can see how much of a resource hog it really is. I've been
    using Google Chrome and IE8 Beta2 and I can easily say that IE8 is faster
    than Chrome. I am hoping for it to be more stable and complete by the final
    release.

    Uninstalling IE8 can be done from Add/Remove programs (XP) or Programs and
    Features (Vista).

    Vj, Sep 29, 2008