    a coupla days.

    I've also been running DIRMS as my defragger. It runs really fast from the
    command prompt.
    Dennis Gordon, Oct 12, 2005

  2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of ActiveX controls out there are
    32-bit only, and don't work in IE64. Thus, the default IE on x64 is the
    32-bit version.

    Brendan Green, Oct 12, 2005

  3. Dennis Gordon wrote:
    > So what's the purpose of having 2 versions of IE in XP64?

    Dennis, the purpose is, many plugins for IE are still 32 bit only. Thus, the
    need for both versions. :)
    --
    Wayne Wastier
    Z-80 - AMD-64
    Wayne Wastier, Oct 12, 2005
  4. I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
    exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
    bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
    There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 12, 2005
  5. "Brendan Green" <> wrote in message
    > Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of ActiveX controls out there
    > are 32-bit only, and don't work in IE64. Thus, the default IE on x64 is
    > the 32-bit version.

    Correct. So we currently set the default browser to be the 32-bit one.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Oct 12, 2005
  6. "Dennis Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
    > exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
    > bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
    > There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?

    The x64 (64-bit) version of IE is entirely functional. Where there is
    reduced functionality is where the plug in writers have not yet produced an
    x64 (64-bit) version of THEIR plug in for the x64 IE.
    So until THEY do the job and give you x64 components we still have to
    support both the 32 and 64 bit IE on the x64 OS (and also call the 32-bit IE
    by default for certain actions to stop you getting into problems due to the
    as yet not available 64-bit plug in etc).
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Oct 12, 2005
  7. Dennis Gordon

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    >I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
    > exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
    > bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
    > There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?
    >
    > "Wayne Wastier" <> wrote in message
    >> Dennis Gordon wrote:
    >> > So what's the purpose of having 2 versions of IE in XP64?

    >> Dennis, the purpose is, many plugins for IE are still 32 bit only. Thus,

    > the
    >> need for both versions. :)
    >> --
    >> Wayne Wastier
    >> Z-80 - AMD-64
    >> HwayneW

    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is simply Windows XP Professional
    re-compiled to 64 bits.
    Cosmetically, it is the same. It was not intended to be different. x64 is
    an interim release until Vista is ready.

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Oct 12, 2005
  8. "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message

    > "Dennis Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
    >> exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
    >> bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
    >> There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?
    >>
    >> "Wayne Wastier" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Dennis, the purpose is, many plugins for IE are still 32 bit only. Thus,

    >> the
    >>> need for both versions. :)
    >>> --
    >>> Wayne Wastier
    >>> Z-80 - AMD-64
    >>> HwayneW
    >>>

    > Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is simply Windows XP Professional
    > re-compiled to 64 bits.
    > Cosmetically, it is the same. It was not intended to be different. x64
    > is an interim release until Vista is ready.
    >
    > Bobby

    I wish it was just a simple recompile. It was a little more difficult then
    that.
    Also the x64 release of Windows XP Professional is not an interim release
    until Windows Vista is ready. It is a fully functional (given the
    documented differences) version of Windows XP Professional for the x64
    supported processors.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Oct 12, 2005
  9. Yeah right, if it were that easy, we would have had x86-x64 edition of XP
    Pro since 2001.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 12, 2005
  10. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > Yeah right, if it were that easy, we would have had x86-x64 edition
    > of XP Pro since 2001.

    Well, maybe since 2003, as that is the year AMD came out with their 64 bit
    processors. :eek:)

    --
    Wayne Wastier
    Z-80 - AMD-64