IE 6 takes long time to load after booting up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by tcproblems@localredirection.com, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    When I boot up, and after all startup programs are loaded (firewall, AV,
    anti-spyware, etc), I'll click on the IE 6 icon to start my browser.
    Most often, I'll wait almost a minute for it to load and connect to the
    net. It will say "detect proxy settings" for a long time, and sometimes
    I'll get the "unable to connect" screen. After closing IE6 and starting it
    again, it loads immediately. The same happens with the initial start of
    Firefox.

    I have a fast broadband connection and use a router. I don't use proxies,
    and tht TCP/IP properties are set to automaticlly detect addresses.

    Could a large HOSTS file have something to do with it?

    I've disabled several services to close ports and also have DNS services
    disabled as that makes it easier to work with a large HOSTS file. Should I
    uncheck the box in the TCP/IP DNS settings that says:

    Register this connection's addresses in DNS?

    , Mar 6, 2007

  2. MrB Guest

    If you go to tools, internet options in IE, go to connections, lan settings,
    remove any checkmarks and see what happens.

    MrB, Mar 6, 2007

  3. <> wrote:
    > When I boot up, and after all startup programs are loaded
    > (firewall, AV, anti-spyware, etc), I'll click on the IE 6 icon
    > to start my browser. Most often, I'll wait almost a minute
    > for it to load and connect to the net. It will say "detect proxy
    > settings" for a long time, and sometimes I'll get the "unable to
    > connect" screen. After closing IE6 and starting it again, it
    > loads immediately. The same happens with the initial start of
    > Firefox.
    >
    > I have a fast broadband connection and use a router. I don't
    > use proxies, and tht TCP/IP properties are set to automaticlly
    > detect addresses.
    >
    > Could a large HOSTS file have something to do with it?
    >
    > I've disabled several services to close ports and also have
    > DNS services disabled as that makes it easier to work with
    > a large HOSTS file. Should I uncheck the box in the TCP/IP
    > DNS settings that says:
    >
    > Register this connection's addresses in DNS?

    I have a similar problem, although I describe it as a one-to-two
    minute lag on the first Web (HTML) access after startup. This
    happens with either IE or Opera - whichever does the first access.
    After the 1st Web connection, all goes normally. Big Hint:
    This does not happen if I disable my ZoneAlarm Internet Security
    Suite 2007, and... this behavior started around the time I installed
    ZoneAlarm ISS '07. Do you run the ZoneAlarm firewall?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Mar 6, 2007
  4. Guest

    "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote in news:45ecd50a$0$16752
    $:

    > <> wrote:
    >> When I boot up, and after all startup programs are loaded
    >> (firewall, AV, anti-spyware, etc), I'll click on the IE 6 icon
    >> to start my browser. Most often, I'll wait almost a minute
    >> for it to load and connect to the net. It will say "detect proxy
    >> settings" for a long time, and sometimes I'll get the "unable to
    >> connect" screen. After closing IE6 and starting it again, it
    >> loads immediately. The same happens with the initial start of
    >> Firefox.
    >>
    >> I have a fast broadband connection and use a router. I don't
    >> use proxies, and tht TCP/IP properties are set to automaticlly
    >> detect addresses.
    >>
    >> Could a large HOSTS file have something to do with it?
    >>
    >> I've disabled several services to close ports and also have
    >> DNS services disabled as that makes it easier to work with
    >> a large HOSTS file. Should I uncheck the box in the TCP/IP
    >> DNS settings that says:
    >>
    >> Register this connection's addresses in DNS?

    > I have a similar problem, although I describe it as a one-to-two
    > minute lag on the first Web (HTML) access after startup. This
    > happens with either IE or Opera - whichever does the first access.
    > After the 1st Web connection, all goes normally. Big Hint:
    > This does not happen if I disable my ZoneAlarm Internet Security
    > Suite 2007, and... this behavior started around the time I installed
    > ZoneAlarm ISS '07. Do you run the ZoneAlarm firewall?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Yes. ZA Pro v6. Is there a way to set ZA in order for the browser to
    initially connect in a more timely fashion?

    I'm assuming that you restart your firewall immediately after your
    browser loads. Do you think it's safe to shut your firewall off for any
    period of time while you're connecting? I remember that when I
    reinstalled my OS (several reinstalls ago), I forgot to unplug from my
    router. The first thing I do upon reinstall is close and disable the
    Windows Messenger service. That time, before I had the chance, I had a
    pop-up via Windwos Messenger telling me that I could have malware and
    should order someone's (probably rogue) software.

    I try never to have the firewall disabled, and even have it set to engage
    the internet lock after a period of inactivity.

    , Mar 6, 2007
  5. <> wrote:
    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> When I boot up, and after all startup programs are loaded
    >>> (firewall, AV, anti-spyware, etc), I'll click on the IE 6 icon
    >>> to start my browser. Most often, I'll wait almost a minute
    >>> for it to load and connect to the net. It will say "detect proxy
    >>> settings" for a long time, and sometimes I'll get the "unable to
    >>> connect" screen. After closing IE6 and starting it again, it
    >>> loads immediately. The same happens with the initial start
    >>> of Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> I have a fast broadband connection and use a router. I don't
    >>> use proxies, and tht TCP/IP properties are set to automaticlly
    >>> detect addresses.
    >>>
    >>> Could a large HOSTS file have something to do with it?
    >>>
    >>> I've disabled several services to close ports and also have
    >>> DNS services disabled as that makes it easier to work with
    >>> a large HOSTS file. Should I uncheck the box in the TCP/IP
    >>> DNS settings that says:
    >>>
    >>> Register this connection's addresses in DNS?

    >> I have a similar problem, although I describe it as a one-to-two
    >> minute lag on the first Web (HTML) access after startup. This
    >> happens with either IE or Opera - whichever does the first access.
    >> After the 1st Web connection, all goes normally. Big Hint:
    >> This does not happen if I disable my ZoneAlarm Internet Security
    >> Suite 2007, and... this behavior started around the time I installed
    >> ZoneAlarm ISS '07. Do you run the ZoneAlarm firewall?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*
    >>

    > Yes. ZA Pro v6. Is there a way to set ZA in order for the
    > browser to initially connect in a more timely fashion?
    >
    > I'm assuming that you restart your firewall immediately after your
    > browser loads. Do you think it's safe to shut your firewall off for
    > any period of time while you're connecting? I remember that when
    > I reinstalled my OS (several reinstalls ago), I forgot to unplug from
    > my router. The first thing I do upon reinstall is close and disable
    > the Windows Messenger service. That time, before I had the
    > chance, I had a pop-up via Windwos Messenger telling me that
    > I could have malware and should order someone's (probably
    > rogue) software.
    >
    > I try never to have the firewall disabled, and even have it set to
    > engage the internet lock after a period of inactivity.

    My experiment with disabling the ZA firewall was just a
    one-time experiment. I assumed that I didn't have any malware
    calling home and that the XP firewall was keeping out the bad
    guys. I tried an HTML connection to a trusted website, and as
    soon as I saw that the connections were immediate, I re-enabled
    the ZA firewall.

    There has been a couple discussions about this problem on
    the ZoneLabs forum, but no solution was posted, and I didn't
    register for the forum to just ask the same question. The general
    consensus is that ZoneLabs knows about it and is working on
    a fix. For now, the advice I've seen is to just tolerate it, but I
    find it to be a major annoyance with ZoneAlarm.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Mar 6, 2007