IE 6 keeps dying

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NevaYouMindWhoItAint, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. WIN 98 SE - IE 6.0 SP1. (was all up to date couple weeks ago - prior to
    this happening).
    IE keeps dying on me. I can go for 3 or 4 page/site changes while I was
    surfing news. Then it gets nothing, just extremely slow until gets error
    message cannot find page. I did IE repair and rebooted. It works for 1, 2 or
    3 more links/pages and then dies again. Seems the only way i can get it to
    work is to repair every few times i change websites.

    I tried the option under add/remove software to restore previous
    configuration. That just does the same as above.

    Tried MS help/support knowledge database and can't find same issue. Also
    searched old 24hshd archives for anything similiar. Some close, but not on
    target.

    I think I need to uninstall my IE 6. But the MS add/remove programs does
    not really do that.

    How can I - or is there a link with instructions to TRULY uninstall IE 6 and
    reinstall it either from download or I can start from my original CD and
    update from the MS site.

    Any help is appreciated

    MBankaT

    NevaYouMindWhoItAint, Jun 26, 2004

  2. NevaYouMindWhoItAint

    ICee Guest

    NevaYouMindWhoItAint wrote:
    > WIN 98 SE - IE 6.0 SP1. (was all up to date couple weeks ago -
    > prior to this happening).
    > IE keeps dying on me. I can go for 3 or 4 page/site changes while I
    > was surfing news. Then it gets nothing, just extremely slow until
    > gets error message cannot find page. I did IE repair and rebooted. It
    > works for 1, 2 or 3 more links/pages and then dies again. Seems the
    > only way i can get it to work is to repair every few times i change
    > websites.
    >
    > I tried the option under add/remove software to restore previous
    > configuration. That just does the same as above.
    >
    > Tried MS help/support knowledge database and can't find same issue.
    > Also searched old 24hshd archives for anything similiar. Some close,
    > but not on target.
    >
    > I think I need to uninstall my IE 6. But the MS add/remove programs
    > does not really do that.
    >
    > How can I - or is there a link with instructions to TRULY uninstall
    > IE 6 and reinstall it either from download or I can start from my
    > original CD and update from the MS site.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated
    >
    > MBankaT

    Free, very similar in looks to IE, but it works better and no popups or
    other problems associated with IE. Try it; you'll like it. :)

    ICee, Jun 26, 2004

  3. NevaYouMindWhoItAint

    el duderino Guest

    Is it better than Opera? (Genuine Q)
    If so why?

    el duderino, Jun 26, 2004
  4. NevaYouMindWhoItAint

    ICee Guest

    el duderino wrote:
    > Is it better than Opera? (Genuine Q)
    > If so why?

    Don't know. Haven't used Opera.

    ICee, Jun 26, 2004
  5. NevaYouMindWhoItAint

    el duderino Guest

    :)

    el duderino, Jun 26, 2004
  6. el duderino wrote:

    > Is it better than Opera? (Genuine Q)

    Re Mozilla:

    I've used Opera for years as my primary browser, both back in the
    Windows Decade and now in Linux. I've played with Mozilla, as well --
    and I have to say that I'm using Mozilla more and more, as it's evolved.
    Opera is still my heavy lifter; but often I find myself just using
    Mozilla if it happens to be open and Opera's not. Eventually, I'll end
    up opening Opera, but that's often because that's where my full set of
    bookmarks are.

    Opera also tends to crash -- it'll just disappear. I've seen this way
    too many times in both Win and Linux. I still have an old laptop with
    Win on it, and it got so bad there that on *that* system, Mozilla's
    actually become my primary browser. I haven't made that change here in
    Linux, yet, but every time Opera just disappears I'm getting closer. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    New June 23:

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 27, 2004
  7. NevaYouMindWhoItAint

    el duderino Guest

    Thanks Blinky, food for thought :)

    el duderino, Jun 27, 2004
  8. lol .. i guess it is either mozilla or keep searching for an answer.

    "NevaYouMindWhoItAint" <> wrote in message
    > WIN 98 SE - IE 6.0 SP1. (was all up to date couple weeks ago - prior

    > this happening).
    > IE keeps dying on me. I can go for 3 or 4 page/site changes while I was
    > surfing news. Then it gets nothing, just extremely slow until gets error

    <snip>

    NevaYouMindWhoItAint, Jun 27, 2004
  9. ok so i am looking at mozilla for the first time, what is difference
    between mozilla and firefox?

    NevaYouMindWhoItAint, Jun 27, 2004
  10. NevaYouMindWhoItAint

    ICee Guest

    NevaYouMindWhoItAint wrote:
    > ok so i am looking at mozilla for the first time, what is difference
    > between mozilla and firefox?

    Mozilla = Firefox.
    Microsoft = Internet Explorer.

    ICee, Jun 27, 2004
  11. NevaYouMindWhoItAint

    Boomer Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote:

    > NevaYouMindWhoItAint wrote:
    >> ok so i am looking at mozilla for the first time, what is
    >> difference between mozilla and firefox?

    > Mozilla = Firefox.
    > Microsoft = Internet Explorer.

    Not quite right. ;)

    Boomer, Jun 27, 2004
  12. NevaYouMindWhoItAint

    ICee Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> NevaYouMindWhoItAint wrote:
    >>> ok so i am looking at mozilla for the first time, what is
    >>> difference between mozilla and firefox?

    >> Mozilla = Firefox.
    >> Microsoft = Internet Explorer.

    > Not quite right. ;)

    No? I'm confused now. Oh, is it "Mozilla Firebird" = IE?

    ICee, Jun 27, 2004
  13. Bummer. After two attempts i got my screwed up IE to download mozilla and
    got it installed. Connected to internet ok - but only once. Does the same as
    IE was doing. I get one (only one now) and MS IE will freeze up/can't
    connect. That only happens after I 'repair' IE. Mozilla wont at all - gives
    me a timed out message. Mail works, IM works (cable people say no local
    problems). I got no ideas left except perhaps to reinstall windows itself.
    {learning to love to hate MS}

    Any ideas? Some internet setting within IE and/or Mozilla?

    btw... is it Mozilla = IE and firefox = OE ?

    NevaYouMindWhoItAint, Jun 27, 2004
  14. NevaYouMindWhoItAint

    el duderino Guest

    I haven't had any problems with Opera...but I don't know how it compares...
    can be got from http://www.e-lunatic.com/ and go BACK about 3 pages..full
    prog + crack

    el duderino, Jun 27, 2004
  15. ICee wrote:
    > Boomer wrote:

    >>> Mozilla = Firefox.
    >>> Microsoft = Internet Explorer.

    >> Not quite right. ;)

    > No? I'm confused now. Oh, is it "Mozilla Firebird" = IE?

    In the first place, Firebird was renamed Firefox a long time ago.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 28, 2004
  16. NevaYouMindWhoItAint

    ICee Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > ICee wrote:
    >> Boomer wrote:

    >>> Not quite right. ;)

    >> No? I'm confused now. Oh, is it "Mozilla Firebird" = IE?

    > In the first place, Firebird was renamed Firefox a long time ago.

    I don't know where Firebird came from; I thought I typed Firefox. Oh
    well, time for another one.

    ICee, Jun 28, 2004
  17. Re: IE 6 keeps dying - Surprised

    for years i read this ng. it was almost always supportive and helpful. then
    for past 2 or so years i did not read the ng much at all. after this post,
    and from reading recent posts/replies, it seems the old 24hshd aint what it
    used to be. wonder where they all went.

    NevaYouMindWhoItAint, Jun 28, 2004