IE 6.0 Media file downloading problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Earl, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Earl

    Earl Guest

    How do I get Internet Explorer (or media player!) open/play/download media
    files with a .wmv or .unk extension from a secure website? Either I left
    click on the file icon to open; in which case IE displays a blank page
    with website/file address and a placeholder icon--instead playing the file
    in Media Player.

    If I right click and select " Save Target As" I get an error message:

    "Internet Explorer cannot down load http.<file name address> Internet
    Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is
    either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

    This only happens with .wmv files (which are apparently downloaded as .unk
    files). Keep in mind I am a paying registered member of the site in question
    too!!

    Is there some Internet Explorer or Media Player setting that I need to
    adjust? Can anyone offer any advice? I was once able to download .wmv
    media files just fine until a few IE critical updates ago.

    Earl, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Earl

    °Mike° Guest

    If they are streaming media files, they are not meant to
    be downloaded.

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:47:37 GMT, in
    <tSXRb.757$>
    Earl scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Earl

    Earl Guest

    I'd settle for just being able to view them. But that doesn't seem possible
    for the file types I described. The strange thing is that it used to work
    fine, I'd click on the file and it would open and play and I could save it
    as well.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Earl, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Earl

    °Mike° Guest

    Maybe the link is bad. Try supplying a link, or two, so that
    somebody else can check them.

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:59:23 GMT, in
    <v1YRb.769$>
    Earl scrawled:

    >I'd settle for just being able to view them. But that doesn't seem possible
    >for the file types I described. The strange thing is that it used to work
    >fine, I'd click on the file and it would open and play and I could save it
    >as well.
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas?
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> If they are streaming media files, they are not meant to
    >> be downloaded.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance