    Which got me to wondering does anyone know if this is this the same
    crap they pulled with Bewitched??

    , Jan 25, 2006

  2. SoHillsGuy Guest

    If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
    colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.

    I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
    like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

    SoHillsGuy, Jan 25, 2006

  3. SoHillsGuy wrote:

    > If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
    > colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.
    >
    > I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
    > like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

    (...Shh, he thinks the advertising people are controlling him!)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 25, 2006
  4. Guest

    SoHillsGuy wrote:
    > If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
    > colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.
    >
    > I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
    > like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

    Yes I know that, and I do indeed intend to buy it in B&W!

    BTW CRAP as in they could have had it out on DVD a year or even two
    years earlier if they just kept it in its original B&W format and saved
    the crayola BS for a later release!

    , Jan 25, 2006
  5. Guest

  6. SoHillsGuy Guest

    Actually, I'm fairly sure the releases to both sets were held up not
    for any reason relating to the colorized versions, but to the
    coinciding theatrical releases, or at least planned theatrical
    releases. The colorized episodes were done years ago, so there's no
    evidence to suggest the sets were held up for them.

    SoHillsGuy, Jan 25, 2006
  7. jayembee Guest

    wrote:

    > BTW CRAP as in they could have had it out on DVD a year
    > or even two years earlier if they just kept it in its original B&W
    > format and saved the crayola BS for a later release!

    Colorizing the episodes has nothing to do with their delaying
    the release. Colorized versions of the episodes already exist
    for syndication.

    The reason for the delay was the same as that for BEWITCHED:
    they wanted to tie it into a proposed theatrical film remake.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jan 25, 2006
  8. Jay G. Guest

    On 25 Jan 2006 09:20:53 -0800, SoHillsGuy wrote:

    > If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
    > colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.
    >
    > I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
    > like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

    Actually, for Bewitched, Sony offered subtitles in Spanish, Chinese,
    Portuguese, and Thai on the Color release, while only offering English
    captions on the B&W release. On top of that, while the US got both
    versions, they only released the color version in some other countries. So
    while in the US we get the option, people who speak other languages or live
    in other countries are "forced" to take the Color release.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jan 26, 2006
  9. JAM Guest

    "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
    > On 25 Jan 2006 09:20:53 -0800, SoHillsGuy wrote:
    >
    >> If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
    >> colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
    >> like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

    > Actually, for Bewitched, Sony offered subtitles in Spanish, Chinese,
    > Portuguese, and Thai on the Color release, while only offering English
    > captions on the B&W release. On top of that, while the US got both
    > versions, they only released the color version in some other countries.
    > So
    > while in the US we get the option, people who speak other languages or
    > live
    > in other countries are "forced" to take the Color release.
    >
    > -Jay

    I think I read somewhere that in those foreign markets the audience wanted
    it colorized. That is what led to the colorization in the first place.
    Since those markets got it in color, they want the DVD in color also. Does
    anyone else remember hearing or reading this?

    JAM, Jan 26, 2006
  10. JAM wrote:
    > "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>Actually, for Bewitched, Sony offered subtitles in Spanish, Chinese,
    >>Portuguese, and Thai on the Color release, while only offering English
    >>captions on the B&W release. On top of that, while the US got both
    >>versions, they only released the color version in some other countries.
    >>So
    >>while in the US we get the option, people who speak other languages or
    >>live
    >>in other countries are "forced" to take the Color release.

    > I think I read somewhere that in those foreign markets the audience wanted
    > it colorized. That is what led to the colorization in the first place.
    > Since those markets got it in color, they want the DVD in color also. Does
    > anyone else remember hearing or reading this?

    Not really--
    Since Nick at Nite never broadcast the b/w IDoJ or "Bewitched"
    colorized, I was guessing this was Sony availing themselves of the same
    studio they used for the Three Stooges colorizations...

    Derek Janssen (I mean, possible, but logic usually goes with the
    "corporate toybox" theory every time)

    Derek Janssen, Jan 26, 2006